There are 184 users in the forums

2014 Oakland Athletics Thread

They're going for it this year. Cespedes was gone anyway next year. Their pitching is crazy stupid now.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
They're going for it this year. Cespedes was gone anyway next year. Their pitching is crazy stupid now.

Thought cespedes had 2 years arb left...
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garcia:
Jon Lester
Sonny Gray
Jeff Samardzjia

In the playoffs
Billy Beane ain't f**king around.

Wow. Scary ass pitching staff.

Just shows how amazing the staff is that you forgot Kazmir...
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Jon Lester
Sonny Gray
Jeff Samardzjia

In the playoffs
Billy Beane ain't f**king around.

Wow. Scary ass pitching staff.

Just shows how amazing the staff is that you forgot Kazmir...

Yep. Samardzija, Lester, Kazmir, Gray in the playoffs?
Originally posted by kujon11:

International players don't go through the same service time requirements, he's a FA after next year I believe.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by kujon11:

International players don't go through the same service time requirements, he's a FA after next year I believe.

i just read somewhere that it stipulates in his contract that he cannot go through arb after his fourth year
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Was a smart move for the A's I believe. A lot of people had said that Cespedes wouldn't have been back anyway. They can move in Brandon Moss to the lineup. Highest scoring offense in the MLB. I think they'll be fine.

Lester may not be back next year, but he certainly improves their chances of winning a title this year.
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM ]
Originally posted by jrg:
Yep. Samardzija, Lester, Kazmir, Gray in the playoffs?

And an above average bullpen. They will be a scary opponent for sure. The really need to win the division though. Don't leave it up to one must win game as a wildcard.
Billy Bean is all in. If Lester duplicates his last season heroics the A's can win it all. Cespedes had that certain something that few players possess. Lester is two years older and has had serious health issues earlier in his career. Cespedes has magic.
Losing Cespedes would hurt more if Gomes wan't coming back. Jonny is loved in that A's clubhouse, and now he's coming back with post-season success for the club to lean on.

Love Cespy, but he was gone after 2015, and we have a lot of options in the outfield. His stock will never be higher, and it's THE year to try to win it. Sucks if it doesn't happen, but you got to take the shot. Gray-Kazmir-Samardjzia-Lester should dominate the playoffs. "Should" is no guarantee, of course, but you give it the best shot.

Personally I'd like to see Hammel moved to the pen and let Chavez remain the 5th starter for now, but we'll see what happens. I'd be down for another trade to get 2B help (maybe involving Hammel), but then we just swapped Milone for Fuld and further OF depth, so who know if they'd be willing to do that with just Pomerantz left as a backup starting pitcher.

In any case, BB doesn't mess around. You gotta credit him for that.

that's fine, you guys will still find a way to NOT make it out of the 1st round.
The A's winning the chip means they get a new stadium in Oakland?
as a giants fan... im not sure how i feel about that trade. Cespedes just always scares me when he's up. I'd rather face Lester with 2 outs in the 9th inning than be facing Cespedes with 2 outs in the 9th inning
Except that Doolittle will be pitching the 9th in the playoffs in most key games.
Okay, been working all morning and just now saw this online. WOW. I've never been a huge fan of Cespedes, but at first blush I don't like the deal. At the very least this better lead to an AL title, and really, winning the WS is probably the only thing that makes this trade worth it. I know Cespedes was a lame duck next year, but I viewed him as a piece the A's could leverage either this offseason or prior to 2015 deadline to get a nice haul of prospects,,,but instead they got rid of a rising star for a 2-month rental of Lester. Actually pretty good for Cespedes...he will hit 50 HRs playing at Fenway, Sox can pay him on a new deal, and they'll have that team rebuilt within 1-2 years.

And a big WTF on trading Milone for Fuld, the same guy you already had on the roster 3 months ago...if anything they should've dealt Hammel, that dude has Jim Johnson written all over him.

So no doubt the A's have WS-caliber pitching, but the problem is they still are extremely slump-prone with the bats and will have to deal with someone like Verlander or Weaver in the postseason.
Share 49ersWebzone