LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

2014 Oakland Athletics Thread

OMG...we're gonna suck in 2019...
That staff doe
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I'm not crazy about losing Russell and McKinney, but I don't know how you can do anything but give Beane & the A's a TON of credit for making this move. They could have stood pat, or maybe done a minor deal, and still had a good playoff-caliber team...and most everyone would've been okay with it since because of philosophy/payroll that's pretty much the A's way of doing business.

But kinda what some others and I said on here the other day, this has the earmarks of a WS-or-bust feel for the A's this season...some guys having what could be career years, Cespedes probably won't be around too much longer, and to get over that Tiger hurdle, the A's would probably need to do something that fell to the "WOW" side of the ledger instead of "Oh, that's nice".

I am hoping this will now put Chavez back in middle relief, and does this spell the end of the Jim Johnson fiasco? And although they did give up some top prospects, Samardzija and Hammel could bring a bounty of prospects back once one/both of them inevitably dealt, and wouldn't be surprised if Hammel or another pitcher get traded before the deadline to get a bat, my guess would be SS/2B. Plus I would be shocked if Cespedes is not dealt either this offseason or prior to 2015 trading deadline, so that could also be a tidy haul of prospects.

I'm still a little stunned, got home about 1am and flipped on MLB or ESPN, heard them say something about "of course Samardzija now won't be making that start for the Cubs"...so was very curious to see who got him, so did a quick search on my phone and was knocked for a loop when I saw that it was the A's. And side note, the Cubs are just stockpiling talent...2017 WS will be Cubs vs. Astros.

Fortune favors the bold.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 6, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
I was hoping for a Bay Area World Series this year, not sure about my giants but this move makes the A's the favorite for me. Nice move.
Awesome Sweep! That's how you rebound from an ugly series in Detroit. 4 wins to knock off the Blue Jays. (Payback!)
Samardzija looked great.
Donaldson is the only starter for the All-Star game thus far.
[ Edited by DaDDieO on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:15 PM ]
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Samardzija looked great.

He looks like he is a horse. Great pickup by the A's. I see Chavez is still starting. Will he stay in the rotation until Pomeranz returns?
Great rebound from the Tigers series. Let's keep it going against the Giants!

And though just one starter (Donaldson), 6 other All-Stars (counting Samardzija)! Congrats to the (all well deserved) nods to Cespedes, Norris, Moss, Kazmir, and Doolittle! Most A's All-Stars since 1975.

[ Edited by ninerfan4life on Jul 6, 2014 at 10:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Samardzija looked great.

He looks like he is a horse. Great pickup by the A's. I see Chavez is still starting. Will he stay in the rotation until Pomeranz returns?

I haven't heard anything, but that's my guess, although he has done well as a starter...he's had some tough luck games where with just a little run support he could have 9-10 wins right now.
Good game by smardija. Still don't like giving up Russell for him since he's not an ace and Russell was the cornerstone player of our next rebuild.

As for chavez and pomeranz I could see them alternating starts and also giving gray a couple extra days rest on occasion.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Good game by smardija. Still don't like giving up Russell for him since he's not an ace and Russell was the cornerstone player of our next rebuild.

As for chavez and pomeranz I could see them alternating starts and also giving gray a couple extra days rest on occasion.

Idk why you keep saying that, he is an ace type pitcher and was an ace in Chicago. This isn't his first season with a era in the 2s. If he played anywhere else he would have way more wins and all his numbers would improve. And it was obvious he hated playing in Chicago with a team that is terrible and underachieving

#championship
Share 49ersWebzone