There are 148 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Oakland Athletics Thread

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Top-shelf logic, a truly high-quality post...more please.

Just kidding around a little.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Originally posted by IT21:
We have an, 'Oakland Raiders Suck', thread...can we start up an, 'Oakland A's Suck', thread? I mean come on...if you like the Niners you also like the SF Giants. If you like the Raiders, you also like the A's and that s**thole they both play in. It's pretty simple and straightforward to me - you either like the SF teams or you like the East Bay teams. (Exception: The Warriors as they're the only NBA team in our area).

k

It's the NFL offseason...most boring time of the year is now before the draft, which is still another four weeks away. MLB, NBA, NHL, etc., are all just time-fillers until the NFL preseason and regular season starts back up.

And speaking of playing in s-holes, the Coliseum is better than the concrete dump on Jamestown Ave that the Niners called home up until a couple months ago.
We have an, 'Oakland Raiders Suck', thread...can we start up an, 'Oakland A's Suck', thread? I mean come on...if you like the Niners you also like the SF Giants. If you like the Raiders, you also like the A's and that s**thole they both play in. It's pretty simple and straightforward to me - you either like the SF teams or you like the East Bay teams. (Exception: The Warriors as they're the only NBA team in our area).

k

It's the NFL offseason...most boring time of the year is now before the draft, which is still another four weeks away. MLB, NBA, NHL, etc., are all just time-fillers until the NFL preseason and regular season starts back up.

And speaking of playing in s-holes, the Coliseum is better than the concrete dump on Jamestown Ave that the Niners called home up until a couple months ago.

Whoa, I'd have to stop you right there (unless you're not serious). The Coliseum is a better venue than Candlestick? That's HIGHLY debatable, even though they're both dumps. I'd have to argue that the Coliseum became worse than the 'Stick once Mt. Davis was built.

k

Whoa, I'd have to stop you right there (unless you're not serious). The Coliseum is a better venue than Candlestick? That's HIGHLY debatable, even though they're both dumps. I'd have to argue that the Coliseum became worse than the 'Stick once Mt. Davis was built.

Yeah, I'm serious....Mt. Davis may not be aesthetically pleasing if that's your thing, and definitely out of place when baseball is being played, but the Stick was/is a decaying pile of concrete, with narrow concourse walkways, way too few restrooms, etc. The Coliseum is superior from a practical standpoint: access, parking, BART...not that it's a great stadium by any stretch, but definitely better than CandleDump.

k

Yeah, I'm serious....Mt. Davis may not be aesthetically pleasing if that's your thing, and definitely out of place when baseball is being played, but the Stick was/is a decaying pile of concrete, with narrow concourse walkways, way too few restrooms, etc. The Coliseum is superior from a practical standpoint: access, parking, BART...not that it's a great stadium by any stretch, but definitely better than CandleDump.

Regardless of what you think of Candlestick, there were a lot of great 49ers memories there (going back to the mid-'70s for me) all the way to that last game vs. the Falcons and Bowman's pick-six. Now, Candlestick is a thing of the past. Now and going forward, it's known that the A's and Raiders play in the worst facility in the MLB and NFL, the Coliseum.
[ Edited by LottDMontanaO on Apr 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM ]

O.k., I'm only half-serious here to be honest. I know there are a lot of fellow Niners fans who for whatever reason also like the A's as their baseball team. I'd be curious if we ever had a poll, though, on how the Bay Area sports allegiances line up for fans of the pro teams.

Grew up in San Jose. I was 10 in 1989 and my brother was 13. Because the Raiders were in LA being a Niners fan was a no-brainer. My extended family were mostly Giants fans, but my parents were indifferent to pro sports. When the '89 World Series came around my brother decided to brag about the Giants hard and so I pushed back against him by picking the A's. After the A's beat the Giants he lost interest in pro sports and I began to follow the team more closely, and therefore became a Niners/A's fan.
In other news, Reddick not in the lineup today with Fuld and Moss in CF/RF, with Barton at 1st. My guess is Melvin is wanting to see Fuld & Barton one more time before they have to decide between Reddick/Fuld/Barton tomorrow.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Brandon Moss is such a beast
Also, in follow up to the Johnson issue, Melvin says the current plan is closer by committee while Johnson works through it. Personally, with Cook/Doolittle/Gregerson/Otero/(eventually better) Johnson, this should stay this way. Use the best person for the job in the moment. If a team with great pitching broke the stranglehold the lone closer thought process has on the game it would be a great thing.
Did BoMel get ejected?
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Straily doe
Check my man BARTON, got the avg up over .100...dude is on a tear!
They gotta tweak this blocking home plate rule to be less fickle. No need to over-review it like they have so far this year.
Donaldson heating up.
Donaldson heating up.

Love the opposite field power he's had this series.