LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 400 users in the forums

College Football Signing Day 2014

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Congrats to USC for the number ONE ranked class in the PAC-12 and the tenth ranked class in the nation!!!!!

All done under sanctions and a NEW coach. Looks like we may have to refer to Coach Sarkisian as Coach SHARKisian.... I Kid

FIGHT ON!!!!!!!

And.......... this is the LAST year of sanctions.... Full 25 next year!
We got the #2 class in the PAC-12, #16 in the country. Probably the best class we've ever had, assuming they all qualify.

Its interesting that our coach has gone heavy with JC recruit for a 3rd year in a row
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
We got the #2 class in the PAC-12, #16 in the country. Probably the best class we've ever had, assuming they all qualify.

Its interesting that our coach has gone heavy with JC recruit for a 3rd year in a row

It's SMART. He needs those kids to play. There was a fair amount of chaff from the last regime.

UCLA came up a little short; but they also had a good class.

Oregon seemed to drop a bit. I don't know if that's because they are looking at a specific kind of athlete, so rankings and such isn't really a big deal.

Stanford had a good class too. As a whole, the PAC-12 kicked butt.
Originally posted by Geeked:
It's SMART. He needs those kids to play. There was a fair amount of chaff from the last regime.

UCLA came up a little short; but they also had a good class.

Oregon seemed to drop a bit. I don't know if that's because they are looking at a specific kind of athlete, so rankings and such isn't really a big deal.

Stanford had a good class too. As a whole, the PAC-12 kicked butt.

Yeah. I think JUCO's are so under rated. I mean freaking Cam Newton was just a "JUCO" recruit! On ASU, Marion Grice, Jaelen Strong, Chris Young (our leading tackler), and Damarious Randall (our #3 tackler) were all JUCO's. Without that we would have been like a 6-6 team. It makes sense for ASU because frankly, are we really going to out recruit USC for the very top highschooler in LA? Not yet! haha

Oregon - They never bring in the top 5 star recruits, they usually hover between #10-#15 ranked class. They are great at finding guys that fit what they do though.

UCLA - Remember they had the #3 class last year and they don't lose many seniors. Tough to recruit when there aren't many open starting spots and so many spots filled by true frosh.

USC - I was surprised they pulled it all together at the end. Complete shock IMO. Now can Sark coach?

Stanford - Pretty solid class, they nailed all of their needs

Arizona - surprisingly strong class, ton of recruits. They needed new blood in their system BAD.

Washington - Good save of their class to prevent a terrible recruiting year
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Good assessment.

I think Sark will do fine. Can't get a whole lot worse than Kiffin. I always have to keep in mind that Sark took over Washington while Oregon was at its peak and Stanford was kicking ass. There was really no way they were winning the North, even if they beat one of the two.

In the South, he'll need to worry about AState and UCLA. Personally, AState is my biggest concern (that's not a knock on UCLA). I think SC has a solid shot to win the UCLA game; but AState is going to be tough.

As a whole, the PAC is just getting better. No one is going undefeated in conference play. IMO, if a team does go undefeated, it will be Oregon. No one will emerge unscathed in the south.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:22 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Anyone got a linked to the rankings??
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

think this is the final ranking
Originally posted by sfout:

lol at the "SEC is done" overreaction to the championship game.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

They'll never be done, but they are facing a league where nothing will be given. The times of showing up and collecting the trophy are over. Remember, in the first half of the 2000's, SC was laying waste to SEC division champions; Auburn and Arkansas (McFadden years).

The PAC-12 is getting very good and I can't remember when the conference was this stacked with coaching.

The SEC isn't done, but they sure are lucky they're sharing boarders with the Big-12 and ACC.

They'll never be done, but they are facing a league where nothing will be given. The times of showing up and collecting the trophy are over. Remember, in the first half of the 2000's, SC was laying waste to SEC division champions; Auburn and Arkansas (McFadden years).

The PAC-12 is getting very good and I can't remember when the conference was this stacked with coaching.

The SEC isn't done, but they sure are lucky they're sharing boarders with the Big-12 and ACC.

The SEC has never shown up and gotten handed the trophy. They've always beaten the next best team, and sometimes easily.

• Geeked
  • Veteran

The SEC has never shown up and gotten handed the trophy. They've always beaten the next best team, and sometimes easily.

You are seriously calling Ohio State.... the next best team?????? May want to check up on that. I'm not cracking on the SEC, but there were several times they were playing an opponent in the BCS championship that had ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH being SELECTED for that game.

Come on, you have to recognize that. There are SEC fans that recognize that.

You are seriously calling Ohio State.... the next best team?????? May want to check up on that. I'm not cracking on the SEC, but there were several times they were playing an opponent in the BCS championship that had ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH being SELECTED for that game.

Come on, you have to recognize that. There are SEC fans that recognize that.

Ohio State in 2006 was "the" best team... the 2007 team was trash and had no business being there. But then again neither did the two loss LSU team that won and was crowned champion.

2008 was maybe the only other legit SEC championship. 2009 has a fat asterisk with McCoy getting knocked out of the game early, 2010 was a close game that may have been an Oregon victory if they didn't think Dyer was down, 2011 was an embarassment (Alabama should not have been in the game having already gotten a shot at LSU), and 2012 was a joke (ND getting in by default).

Pants, for a smart poster and a Big 12 fan you sure suck the SEC dick a lot.

Alas, there is a playoff system now. I'll never have to make this argument in future seasons since ESPN can't influence the playoff committee like they did the pollsters to line their own in-financial-bed-with-SEC wallets.
[ Edited by TheRambler on Feb 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM ]

Bama signed 2 5* CBs, 1 5* LT, 2 5* OLB, and 1 5* DE. That's why Saban wasn't even entertaining Texas. Outside of Bama I really liked LSUs and TAMU recruiting classes. Speedy Noil and Myles Garret will be playing on Sundays and Fournette is AP 2.0.

It doesn't bother me that people despise the SEC. The jelly monster is in us all but how can you not enjoy the calibre of player on almost every SEC team.

Don't get too comfy Rambler we all know your heads going to explode if two SEC teams get in or when the committee doesn't agree with your valuation of a loss in the SEC
Congrats to USC for the number ONE ranked class in the PAC-12 and the tenth ranked class in the nation!!!!!

All done under sanctions and a NEW coach. Looks like we may have to refer to Coach Sarkisian as Coach SHARKisian.... I Kid

FIGHT ON!!!!!!!

USC signed the best CB in this class: Adoree Jackson. I love watching this kid play. Stout as hell and track speed. Im already calling the best secondary in CFB with Cravens, McCray, Hawkins, and Smith. Not to mention a monster dline. Sark can bring back some of that offensive magic that beat Texas. Ricky Town was a good start and huge play on Sarks part to snatch him from Saban. Bama needed a QB with the void McCarron leaves. I have no allegiance to any team in the PAC12 but USC is looking strong.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

FIGHT ON!!!!!!!

USC signed the best CB in this class: Adoree Jackson. I love watching this kid play. Stout as hell and track speed. Im already calling the best secondary in CFB with Cravens, McCray, Hawkins, and Smith. Not to mention a monster dline. Sark can bring back some of that offensive magic that beat Texas. Ricky Town was a good start and huge play on Sarks part to snatch him from Saban. Bama needed a QB with the void McCarron leaves. I have no allegiance to any team in the PAC12 but USC is looking strong.

I'm seriously looking forward to SC employing an offense that actually takes advantage of their accumulated talent. Sark does move the ball around and runs a current college offense. It's going to be an exciting year. I'm not expecting a NC, but wouldn't be blown away if SC snags the south.

I think they're going to have Smith play WR. I know that was one of the talking points regarding his choice to go to USC. So, I don't expect to see much of Smith on the D side of the ball until he feels the talent in front of him at receiver is too good. This was the case for Lee..... and we all saw how much defense he played.
[ Edited by Geeked on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone