There are 241 users in the forums

The Official Leeds United thread

Originally posted by slip:
Don't ignore the fact that the epl is only made up of a few good teams. The other teams are average and will never win the competition. At least rugby league has a salary cap, therefore every team is on an even playing field.
You are correct but the tide is changing slightly. Scum's period of dominance is at an end since there manger retired which is great for the other teams. I agree the finances in football are ruining the game. The German model of football seems to be the best for fans and football clubs alike. Sadly money talks and the English game doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon.

The Premier League is more open this year than ever before. 5-6 teams all have very good squads (rosters) and if the hold their nerve anyone could easily win the league.

Compare it with the other leagues in Europe where only 2 or 3 teams ever battle it out for the title it's a fairly open league.
Did you see when Man U and Liverpool played in Australia? Massive attendance both in Sydney and Melbourne. Leeds did not visit. Lol

Couldn't afford the air fair sadly. Our owner used the money to pay for his own private jet. We'll be back in Australia in the next few years you'll see
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yup, the Bears still exist lol. They did not qualify for the playoffs this year.

BTW, the game is on Sunday.

That's my Sunday night sorted then. My first NFL game. Who's the key player for the 49ers ?
  • slip
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darlo49ers:
The Panthers are from Charlotte, North Carolina. It's on the east coast of the U.S.

If you want to watch the game online, http://firstrowus1.eu/ is a pretty good site. The game starts 10:05 a.m our time, which I think is 6:05 p.m. your time if you're in England.

Thanks. I'll watch my first ever NFL game cheering for the 49ers.

Do the Chicago bears still exist?

Yup, the Bears still exist lol. They did not qualify for the playoffs this year.

BTW, the game is on Sunday.

Hey sofaking, I can't stand the New York Giants and don't even live in the States. Is there some 49ers connection to this that I don't know? Are they a 9ers rival? Maybe it's an east coast hatred I have without ever visiting. Lol
  • slip
  • Veteran
Did you see when Man U and Liverpool played in Australia? Massive attendance both in Sydney and Melbourne. Leeds did not visit. Lol

Couldn't afford the air fair sadly. Our owner used the money to pay for his own private jet. We'll be back in Australia in the next few years you'll see

Many fans from England would of attended and seen Australia at the same time. Same with the British Lions fans last year.
That's my Sunday night sorted then. My first NFL game. Who's the key player for the 49ers ?

The key player is probably our quarterback -- Colin Kaepernick. Not sure how familiar you are with NFL football, but a player's role is very different depending on what position he plays. The quarterback is generally considered the leader of the offense, since he is the one throwing the ball.

Other key players to keep your eye on are Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, and Anquan Boldin.

When we are on defense, our key players are Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Justin Smith, and Aldon Smith.
Many fans from England would of attended and seen Australia at the same time. Same with the British Lions fans last year.

Leeds fans are well known for travelling en masse to anywhere in the globe that Leeds play. There's lots of reasons why we haven't been touring the world during pre-season for the last decade but it all boils down to our terrible ownership at the time. He would rather line his own pockets that arrange a pre-season tour outside of Europe.

Things have changed now. Leeds are on the way back to the upper echelons of English football.
Hey sofaking, I can't stand the New York Giants and don't even live in the States. Is there some 49ers connection to this that I don't know? Are they a 9ers rival? Maybe it's an east coast hatred I have without ever visiting. Lol

Lol. Yup, you're right slip. There is a 49ers-Giants rivalry since the 1980's. The two teams have met in the playoffs quite a few times, the winner going on to win the Super Bowl in a few instances.

I didn't say anything about those two teams, only about Newcastle Means nothing too, if bloody West Ham had come it'd still get a decent group of people coming...
How does the NFL work. Do all teams play each other during the season? Or do you only play west coast teams until the playoffs?

• slip
  • Veteran

Lol. Yup, you're right slip. There is a 49ers-Giants rivalry since the 1980's. The two teams have met in the playoffs quite a few times, the winner going on to win the Super Bowl in a few instances.
I thought so. I do know a fair bit about the NFL and it's history. I really like the show "Americas Game", but because I don't live in the States I don't have the total feel and knowledge. A lot easier supporting a game in your own backyard, but international still can be achieved. Were the Raiders ever a rival?
How does the NFL work. Do all teams play each other during the season? Or do you only play west coast teams until the playoffs?

Oh boy. I'll try and explain it the best I can.

Each team plays 16 games during the season. There are 32 teams. All teams do not play each other in a single season. Teams are divided evenly into 2 "conferences", the AFC and the NFC. Each conference has 4 "divisions" or "groups" each consisting of 4 teams. Each team plays the team in their division twice, home and away, for a total of 6 games. The 10 other games are on rotation year-to-year, so each team plays each other at least once every 3-4 years.

Hope that makes some sense. The NFL is one of the most confusing sports to explain to a newcomer. So many rules and nuances lol.
I thought so. I do know a fair bit about the NFL and it's history. I really like the show "Americas Game", but because I don't live in the States I don't have the total feel and knowledge. A lot easier supporting a game in your own backyard, but international still can be achieved. Were the Raiders ever a rival?

The Raiders are only a rival in the sense that we are close together geographically. San Francisco and Oakland are very close to one another. But the two teams have not played each other very many times to be a real rivalry.
  • slip
  • Veteran

Each team plays 16 games during the season. There are 32 teams. All teams do not play each other in a single season. Teams are divided evenly into 2 "conferences", the AFC and the NFC. Each conference has 4 "divisions" or "groups" each consisting of 4 teams. Each team plays the team in their division twice, home and away, for a total of 6 games. The 10 other games are on rotation year-to-year, so each team plays each other at least once every 3-4 years.

Hope that makes some sense. The NFL is one of the most confusing sports to explain to a newcomer. So many rules and nuances lol.
And every playoff game is an elimination, unlike other football codes that may give a top of the ladder team a second chance if they lose their first finals game.

That is unbelievably confusing. Are the divisions ranked at all or just random?
Share 49ersWebzone