There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official Leeds United thread

Who do I need to look out for then? Who are the best Niners players? And how do they compare with the best in the NFL?
Originally posted by kronik:
Originally posted by waccoe:
We're all Leeds aren't we , Good luck in the play offs we're crap at them MOT

Wow, that crowd is intense

Check out when we scored the promotion winning goal. Now that was seriously intense! Watch up to at least 0:40 seconds

Originally posted by darlo49ers:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
If they had collisions like they do in the NFL, people would die.

The "armor" as you say gives the players a feeling of indestructability..so they are much more likely to do things they wouldn't do if they didn't have the pads on.

Fair point. I'll make an effort to watch a 49ers game. I think it's shown on some channels over here.
Never seen an NFL game before. I look forward to it

Oh wow.

OK...yeah, it'll be different. Alot more stoppages in play than you are used to. Basically think car wreck followed by a 20 second stoppage followed by another car wreck. Strategically my favorite sport.

I think there was an Australian rules Football Player...something Bennett...who became a punter with the Chargers for awhile. He was the first person who used that "people would die" line.
Bates out!
Who do I need to look out for then? Who are the best Niners players? And how do they compare with the best in the NFL?

49ers Were in the NFC Championship Game in 2011 and lost (winner of that game advances to Super Bowl vs AFC Champion), They were IN the Super Bowl last year and lost, and if they win on Sunday they will again be in the NFC Championship game next week.

Basically, one of the best teams in the NFL.

Best Players?

Patrick Willis
Aldon Smith
Navorro Bowman
Frank Gore
Vernon Davis
Michael Crabtree
Colin Kaepernick

List goes on and on...good team, lots of good players.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by TonyMowbray:
Originally posted by kronik:
We're all Leeds aren't we , Good luck in the play offs we're crap at them MOT

Wow, that crowd is intense

Check out when we scored the promotion winning goal. Now that was seriously intense! Watch up to at least 0:40 seconds

Off the Richter scale that celebration I was in N11
You're joking, right? Please tell me you are.

Ha ha yes mate, it was in jest. Totally different sports
Originally posted by socalniner:
These boys do it without the armor

If they had collisions like they do in the NFL, people would die.

The "armor" as you say gives the players a feeling of indestructability..so they are much more likely to do things they wouldn't do if they didn't have the pads on.

Being serious for a second here I have to agree Marvin.

The speeds these guys run at each other causes some serious damage to them later in life, you can't compare American Football and Rugby, the same things just don't happen. The without pads argument is an uneducated one.

What do I care though, I don't like either of those sports I like Football!
It is true though, not a lot of people like us..
  • MJv2
Oh wow.

OK...yeah, it'll be different. Alot more stoppages in play than you are used to. Basically think car wreck followed by a 20 second stoppage followed by another car wreck. Strategically my favorite sport.

I think there was an Australian rules Football Player...something Bennett...who became a punter with the Chargers for awhile. He was the first person who used that "people would die" line.

Of course they would. But as you yourself said take away the armour and it'd be a lot less timid. From what I can see the weights and heights are around the same (there are exceptions, for example Rob Burrow is 5ft 5" and 135lbs, whereas Eorl Crabtree is 6ft 8" and 253lbs). There are no 300lbs as far as I'm aware, because you simply wouldn't be fit enough and have enough stamina to last 40 minutes of constant play.
Originally posted by Lufc-pete:
It is true though, not a lot of people like us..

My favourite

Originally posted by MJv2:
Oh wow.

Of course they would. But as you yourself said take away the armour and it'd be a lot less timid. From what I can see the weights and heights are around the same (there are exceptions, for example Rob Burrow is 5ft 5" and 135lbs, whereas Eorl Crabtree is 6ft 8" and 253lbs). There are no 300lbs as far as I'm aware, because you simply wouldn't be fit enough and have enough stamina to last 40 minutes of constant play.

There are ALOT of 300+ lbs players in the NFL, but they usually play on the Offensive and Defensive lines so rarely have to run more than 10 or 15 yards or so. Basically, O-Line protects the Quarterback (supreme glamor position) and blocks in the run game.

There are very few if any 300 lb "skill position" players, IE the guys who get their hands on the ball the most. The most athletic guys on the field and also some of the smaller players play Running Back (RB), Wide Receiver (WR), and Defensive Back (DB). Exceptions to every rule though (Vernon Davis is a Tight End -TE - and is 6'3" 250lbs and probably the fastest player on the entire team. He's a freak of nature).
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jan 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM ]
My favourite

I can think of a better one that starts with M and ends in 8.
Originally posted by Lufc-pete:
Bates out!

I have as much right to be in this thread as anyone else!