Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Was out of town this weekend but watched the draft.

-Happy with Randle. All I wanted was the Lakers to draft the BPA, regardless of position, and that was Randle at that point.

-Aaron Gordon was the first surprise of the draft, but I totally get what Orlando is trying to do. Between Oladipo, Gordon, & Payton, they have 3 of the best defensive prospects in the last two drafts. They're going to have to find someone who can put the ball in the bucket, but they have a clear and concise plan that I can respect.

-Same with Philly. They're basically doing the same thing the Niners are doing, in terms of redshirting talent. They're going to be a handful in about 3 years, especially if Embiid can maintain some degree of health. They got quite a haul for Payton as well.

-I love Marcus Smart and hated seeing him get selected by Boston, but they got a whole lot of guys who can't shoot in that backcourt now. (Rondo, Bradley, Smart) Can't see them not moving one of those guys.

-Phoenix had an excellent draft. Good value with each pick.

Great post. Agreed with everything except Philly. I'm just not sure the redshirting talent idea can work in the NBA. It works for the 49ers because we had the depth in place and the luxury. Philly might have gotten great talent, but its quite risky when you are counting on these guys to all live up to their potential. It would be similar to us drafting lattimore, carradine and Brandon Thomas, but not having gore, Justin smith and mike iupati on the team at the time.

Who would you have drafted over Embiid that could truly be a franchise maker? I would say no one. Why not swing for the fences there and take the guy who can possibly get this team to become one of the best teams in the East in 3-4 years. The 76ers were going to suck next year no matter who they selected.

Exum has a similar upside with a similar amount of unknown risk.

A friend of mine is a huge Sixers fan, and he was pissed that they took Embiid over Exum. Especially since they have Noel already.

Dont agree at all. Embiid would have easily been the #1 pick if he hadnt been hurt. No way Exum has the same upside especially when you consider the size.

Scouts have said that as soon as Exum walks onto the court in the first game of next season, he will automatically become the fastest player in the NBA. Hes got some work to do on his defense and shooting, but as far as ball handling, first step, driving the lane, competitive fire, etc, hes an elite prospect. Plus he will just be turning 19 in July.

One NBA scout said hes the closest thing to Kobe Bryant hes seen since they scouted Kobe. Maybe not quite as athletic, but in the same range in potential. Every team that interviewed him said he tested off the charts in all their character and competitiveness tests.

Part of Embiid's value is the Hakeem Olajuwon comparison. Hes an African 7 footer with great footwork in the paint. The fact that teams compare him to a guy who ended up being a Hall of Fame Center who won an MVP and 2 rings doesnt hurt.

I think both players came in as the 2 biggest "boom or bust" guys in the draft. Both have the abilities to be superstars, but both are raw enough and have enough question marks that mean theres a chance it doesnt work out.

If I were Philadelphia, I want a guy with a similar ceiling, but at a position they are in more need of.
I want the guy who is most likely to help my franchise win a title. If both players reach their potential that player is Embiid in my opinion. I guess the Philly GM agrees with me.

Because a GM has never made a mistake before...

I'm guessing that he knows more basketball than you do though.
I want the guy who is most likely to help my franchise win a title. If both players reach their potential that player is Embiid in my opinion. I guess the Philly GM agrees with me.

Its crazy how much Exum has blown up... after not playing competitive for 12 months and having some professionals saying that he ducked college ball.

His highlights look nice, but to say he has the same potential as Embiid is BS. Because Exum's potential is really unknown. Barely anyone GMs even saw him play live. Insane.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Its crazy how much Exum has blown up... after not playing competitive for 12 months and having some professionals saying that he ducked college ball.

His highlights look nice, but to say he has the same potential as Embiid is BS. Because Exum's potential is really unknown. Barely anyone GMs even saw him play live. Insane.

I agree. Now, he may end up being a great player and the best in the draft. Who knows. But, obviously some teams didnt see it. Orlando passed on him to take Aaron Gordon. The GM's have so much more information than we do.

I think its pretty clear that Embiid would have been the first player taken if not for his injury because of his size and obvious upside. Really, it would have been crazy for Philly to have taken anyone over him in my opinion.
Originally posted by sacniner:

Wow, seriously at the last part? Crazy. I like Exum, but I believe he has boom or bust potential. I can see him developing into a very nice player almost as easily as I can see him failing to live up to the hype he's garnered the last few weeks.

Injuries aren't the only risk teams take on draft night. Exum is a talented kid but a very raw prospect that is a relatively unknown commodity; he's taking a huge step from an Australian HS to the big leagues with the big boys. Taking him with the third pick, you're banking on a kid that not much is known about in the first place and that he can adjust his game to playing with men in the NBA.

Sixers surely weighed their options and had as much information on both players that was available - they took the best player with the best upside and that is clearly Joel Embiid. Orlando (to my surprise) also passed on Exum.

I was getting a little scared when I saw Exum jumping into the top 3 conversation in many mock drafts after Embiid got injured tbh. #5 Utah Jazz was more appropriate IMO.

-Happy with Randle. All I wanted was the Lakers to draft the BPA, regardless of position, and that was Randle at that point.

-Aaron Gordon was the first surprise of the draft, but I totally get what Orlando is trying to do. Between Oladipo, Gordon, & Payton, they have 3 of the best defensive prospects in the last two drafts. They're going to have to find someone who can put the ball in the bucket, but they have a clear and concise plan that I can respect.

-Same with Philly. They're basically doing the same thing the Niners are doing, in terms of redshirting talent. They're going to be a handful in about 3 years, especially if Embiid can maintain some degree of health. They got quite a haul for Payton as well.

-I love Marcus Smart and hated seeing him get selected by Boston, but they got a whole lot of guys who can't shoot in that backcourt now. (Rondo, Bradley, Smart) Can't see them not moving one of those guys.

Great post. Agreed with everything except Philly. I'm just not sure the redshirting talent idea can work in the NBA. It works for the 49ers because we had the depth in place and the luxury. Philly might have gotten great talent, but its quite risky when you are counting on these guys to all live up to their potential. It would be similar to us drafting lattimore, carradine and Brandon Thomas, but not having gore, Justin smith and mike iupati on the team at the time.

Who would you have drafted over Embiid that could truly be a franchise maker? I would say no one. Why not swing for the fences there and take the guy who can possibly get this team to become one of the best teams in the East in 3-4 years. The 76ers were going to suck next year no matter who they selected.

A friend of mine is a huge Sixers fan, and he was pissed that they took Embiid over Exum. Especially since they have Noel already.

Dont agree at all. Embiid would have easily been the #1 pick if he hadnt been hurt. No way Exum has the same upside especially when you consider the size.

Scouts have said that as soon as Exum walks onto the court in the first game of next season, he will automatically become the fastest player in the NBA. Hes got some work to do on his defense and shooting, but as far as ball handling, first step, driving the lane, competitive fire, etc, hes an elite prospect. Plus he will just be turning 19 in July.

One NBA scout said hes the closest thing to Kobe Bryant hes seen since they scouted Kobe. Maybe not quite as athletic, but in the same range in potential. Every team that interviewed him said he tested off the charts in all their character and competitiveness tests.

Part of Embiid's value is the Hakeem Olajuwon comparison. Hes an African 7 footer with great footwork in the paint. The fact that teams compare him to a guy who ended up being a Hall of Fame Center who won an MVP and 2 rings doesnt hurt.

I think both players came in as the 2 biggest "boom or bust" guys in the draft. Both have the abilities to be superstars, but both are raw enough and have enough question marks that mean theres a chance it doesnt work out.

If I were Philadelphia, I want a guy with a similar ceiling, but at a position they are in more need of.

Im not claiming to know more than anybody. Im just arguing one side of a debate with no correct answer yet.

Before the foot surgery, Embiid was the clear number 1 guy, but after it, along with previous back issues, he has fallen in value a bit. IMO, its enough to put him on the same level of risk/reward that Exum is on.

Foot and back issues among big men early on have a history of being serious red flags. I dont think its a stretch to say Embiid and Exum are now in a similar class in terms of raw potential.

The Sixers have Noel, so its not a bad argument to suggest that maybe after the injury concerns with Embiid, they should have gone with a position of more need.

Im not claiming to know more than anybody. Im just arguing one side of a debate with no correct answer yet.

Before the foot surgery, Embiid was the clear number 1 guy, but after it, along with previous back issues, he has fallen in value a bit. IMO, its enough to put him on the same level of risk/reward that Exum is on.

Foot and back issues among big men early on have a history of being serious red flags. I dont think its a stretch to say Embiid and Exum are now in a similar class in terms of raw potential.

The Sixers have Noel, so its not a bad argument to suggest that maybe after the injury concerns with Embiid, they should have gone with a position of more need.
Well I certainly think your opinion is not held by most including NBA personnel. But. .. we can agree to disagree.
Kings try to trade up for Embiid. Sixers try to trade up to #8

Originally posted by Knowledge:

I wonder what the Kings were packaging to trade up to 3 for Embiid. Embiid + Cousins would make a beastly tandem.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Knowledge:

1...2...3 NIC ROCKS!!! WTF???
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
griffin had a son with cameron's sister.

might ford cameron-griffin be a nba beast in 20 years?

by the way, brynn cameron could write a book on gold digging; first leinart, now griffin.

Share 49ersWebzone