The 2013-14 MLB Hot Stove Tracker And Spring Training Discussion Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by jrg1:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Yankees are a lock now with Jeter announcing his farewell tour

A lock for what? It didnt help them much last year with Mariano.

Yeah. I see them as a AL Wild Card team. Nothing more.

Likely injuries: Tex, Roberts, Jeter, Beltran, Ellsbury. Just to name a few.

Exactly. Their rotation should be solid if Tanaka translates his game to the MLB level. I think they'll have enough to sneak in to the playoffs, but won't be any kind of contender.

Exactly. Their rotation should be solid if Tanaka translates his game to the MLB level. I think they'll have enough to sneak in to the playoffs, but won't be any kind of contender.

I think their rotation is a question mark too though. Will CC rebound from a less than stellar year? Will Kuroda pitch well and stay healthy at age 39? Will Tanaka come right in and be everything they hope? Will the back end of the rotation do anything?

Honestly at this point I would put them behind Boston and TB in the East.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

I think their rotation is a question mark too though. Will CC rebound from a less than stellar year? Will Kuroda pitch well and stay healthy at age 39? Will Tanaka come right in and be everything they hope? Will the back end of the rotation do anything?

I would think CC and Tanaka should be good for 15+ wins. Kuroda I'm not too high on, but I've always been a fan of Ivan Nova. I always forget about Tampa Bay. Haha.
Not official because it didnt come from Rob but........................

Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz and Cuban right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne held a showcase at the Padres' Spring Training complex today, MLB.com's Corey Brock tweetedearlier. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported (via Twitter) that more than 20 teams had scouts on-hand to see the pair. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the Yankees, Cardinals,Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres and Giants were all there to scout Diaz (Twitter links). According to the San Diego Union-Tribune (on Twitter), Diaz could command as much as $20-30MM as a free agent. However, he is ineligible to sign until next week (Feb. 19) at the earliest.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Not official because it didnt come from Rob but........................

Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz and Cuban right-hander Odrisamer Despaigne held a showcase at the Padres' Spring Training complex today, MLB.com's Corey Brock tweetedearlier. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reported (via Twitter) that more than 20 teams had scouts on-hand to see the pair. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports that the Yankees, Cardinals,Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres and Giants were all there to scout Diaz (Twitter links). According to the San Diego Union-Tribune (on Twitter), Diaz could command as much as $20-30MM as a free agent. However, he is ineligible to sign until next week (Feb. 19) at the earliest.

Come to papa

I would think CC and Tanaka should be good for 15+ wins. Kuroda I'm not too high on, but I've always been a fan of Ivan Nova. I always forget about Tampa Bay. Haha.

You guys are forgetting the lack of a bullpen too. I don't trust them for the life of me especially David Robertson. He's been shaky when he's had to close in the past and I'm just not sold on him doing it now plus his set up men are nobodies and when a starter gets pulled our long inning relief is pretty bad too. This rotation is gonna get rocked this year I think and its gonna be up to the offense to be able to score 6 runs a game at least to get some wins.

I do hope Michael Pineda can stay healthy though cause I really wanna see how he can finally do after all the health issues.
[ Edited by NinerFanMT on Feb 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM ]
RIP Jim Fregosi
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
RIP Jim Fregosi

i second that, and i'd also like to thank him for leaving mitch williams in there to face joe carter even though it was clear he didnt have his A stuff that night.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
RIP Jim Fregosi

Very sad. Local guy who sent to Serra High School in San Mateo. My friend went to the Serra HS game last night and they all had a moment of silence for him.
TEN DAYS TILL THE VERY FIRST BATCH OF SPRING TRAINING GAMES!!!

Originally posted by robniner:

Link?
Mulder tore his achilles in his attempted comeback. I was really pulling for the guy but it seems like if you go to Anaheim bad things are sure to happen to you.
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Mulder tore his achilles in his attempted comeback. I was really pulling for the guy but it seems like if you go to Anaheim bad things are sure to happen to you.

Except in 2002
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:

Except in 2002

Nobody remembers that though. lol Since then you guys just have had terrible luck, its really strange because its a great organization.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by robniner:

Link?

MLB.COM Scoreboard
Share 49ersWebzone