LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

The 2013-14 MLB Hot Stove Tracker And Spring Training Discussion Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Nolasco to Twins
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I thought this was hilarious by Jim Rome on the Fielder/Kinsler trade...

It's true what they say – everything is bigger in Texas. Especially now that the Detroit Tigers have freed up cap space, and a ton of dugout space by trading Prince Fielder and $30 mill in cash to Texas for second baseman Ian Kinsler.

It's supposed to be a good deal if both sides feel like they got jobbed, but it says here both teams got exactly what they want.

I love it in the short term for Texas – they immediately slam a masher into that bandbox. His abysmal October aside, Fielder's still one of the biggest bats and most durable dudes in the game.

Problem is – he's still one of the biggest people in the game, with one of the fattest contracts. And that's why in the long-term, it's a sweet deal for the D. I'm no orthopedist, but I have a hard time seeing Fielder aging gracefully when he's the size of Ndamukong Suh.

And the guy was on the books for 7 more seasons as a Tiger. With that kind of deal for an aging star… standing here in SoCal I'm actually shocked The Prince didn't end up an Angel.

But he's off the Tiger's books, Miggy Cabrera moves over to first base, and the team can take that Prince cash and start forking it over to Max Scherzer. Money.

This one's a draw: Texas gets a bat. Detroit loses the fat. Winner-Winner. Prince wants some dinner.

Originally posted by Garcia:
I thought this was hilarious by Jim Rome on the Fielder/Kinsler trade...

It's true what they say – everything is bigger in Texas. Especially now that the Detroit Tigers have freed up cap space, and a ton of dugout space by trading Prince Fielder and $30 mill in cash to Texas for second baseman Ian Kinsler.

It's supposed to be a good deal if both sides feel like they got jobbed, but it says here both teams got exactly what they want.

I love it in the short term for Texas – they immediately slam a masher into that bandbox. His abysmal October aside, Fielder's still one of the biggest bats and most durable dudes in the game.

Problem is – he's still one of the biggest people in the game, with one of the fattest contracts. And that's why in the long-term, it's a sweet deal for the D. I'm no orthopedist, but I have a hard time seeing Fielder aging gracefully when he's the size of Ndamukong Suh.

And the guy was on the books for 7 more seasons as a Tiger. With that kind of deal for an aging star… standing here in SoCal I'm actually shocked The Prince didn't end up an Angel.

But he's off the Tiger's books, Miggy Cabrera moves over to first base, and the team can take that Prince cash and start forking it over to Max Scherzer. Money.

This one's a draw: Texas gets a bat. Detroit loses the fat. Winner-Winner. Prince wants some dinner.

Miguel Cabrera better enjoy the heck out of 1B, because I dont think its a coincidence that the 2 years Prince was protecting him in the lineup were also the 2 years he won both his MVP's and a triple crown.

Hes obviously still the best player in baseball, but his numbers will likely dip without Fielder waiting on deck.

What I dont get is, what is Detroit saying about their decision making skills here? They thought it would be a great idea to sign him to a mega-deal JUST 2 years ago. Now theyve already given up and were looking to cut their losses? Makes you wonder how much they think things through as an organization.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Doug Fister to Nationals
Originally posted by jrg:
Doug Fister to Nationals

Tigers got raped in this deal. LOVE it for Nats. They get a very good pitcher whom they will control for 2 years at a bargain price.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Doug Fister to Nationals

Tigers got raped in this deal. LOVE it for Nats. They get a very good pitcher whom they will control for 2 years at a bargain price.

So the Tigers let the Fister go to Washington, yet they're the ones getting raped? Maybe the Nats like getting fisted.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Doug Fister to Nationals

So the Tigers let the Fister go to Washington, yet they're the ones getting raped? Maybe the Nats like getting fisted.

They gave up a very good SP for a utility infielder Steve Lombardozzi, a lefty RP that is nothing special that Oakland dumped on them, and just their #5 prospect. Shocking how little they got. Even if it made sense to move Fister they should have waited to dangle him to teams that lost out on FA pitchers. They lost on this one.
I've partied and hung with fisters bro.

Good dude.

Didn't think he was that good till he went there and killed it
The Rob Report......................

Looks like Joe Nathan is going to the Tigers. Brian Wilson may not have a closer role anywhere now and likely going back to Dodgers.

That is all.
Jesus H Christ Ellsbury to the Yankees and getting more money than Crawford got.

• jrg
  • Veteran
lots of s**t going on today
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Jesus H Christ Ellsbury to the Yankees and getting more money than Crawford got.

Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury

The Yankees have agreed to sign Jacoby Ellsbury, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (via Twitter). Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that the two sides were closing in on a seven-year pact. It is believed the deal will top Carl Crawford's $142MM, seven-year deal with one estimate pegging the deal at about $150MM, according to Heyman.

The Yankees have been in simultaneous talks with Shin-Soo Choo, Carlos Beltran, and many other top free agents, including their own Robinson Cano. Things have stalled somewhat with Cano, however, as the Yanks don't want to go far beyond $170MM over seven years and Cano's team looking for about $260MM. Heyman spoke with sources who didn't rule out the Yankees continuing their purusit of Choo or Beltran, but it would seem unlikely at this point. One source told Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter) that a deal with Ellsbury or another top outfielder won't preclude the Yanks from re-signing their star second baseman.

ESPN's Jayson Stark reported on Monday that talks were moving faster than expected for the Scott Boras client. Boras is notorious for waiting out the market to find the right deal as he did with Prince Fielder (signed in late January) and Michael Bourn (February).

Ellsbury offers more pop than the typical center fielder, with a career slugging percentage of .439 and isolated power of .141. While his power is more of the doubles and triples variety, which is aided by his speed, he did hit 32 home runs in his stellar 2011 campaign. In that year, Ellsbury led all of baseball with 9.1 wins above replacement, finished second in the AL MVP voting, won a Silver Slugger and a Gold Glove, and made the All-Star team.

The 30-year-old has also consistently posted above average UZR and DRS numbers in center field. While he has come back to earth somewhat since '11, he checked in with 5.8 wins above replacement in 2013, which is second only to Robinson Cano among free agents.

Yankees people envision Ellsbury in center with Brett Gardner moving to left.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Guessing that means Beltran will go back to the Royals
There's no way Cano budges from his demands now if the Yanks are willing to spend that much on Ellsbury. Damn it I thought they wanted to cut payroll not increase it.
Share 49ersWebzone