LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Official 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Wiggins or Exum are the guys that I'd feel most comfortable with. Embiid would be my clear #1 if not for the injury concerns.

Of the guys who are somewhat likely to be available at #6, Smart is the guy that I want, followed by Gordon.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Wiggins or Exum are the guys that I'd feel most comfortable with. Embiid would be my clear #1 if not for the injury concerns.

Of the guys who are somewhat likely to be available at #6, Smart is the guy that I want, followed by Gordon.

i'm surprised you like smart. what exactly do you see in him, do you think he has star potential? not a great shooter or a great passer as of now...
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

i'm surprised you like smart. what exactly do you see in him, do you think he has star potential? not a great shooter or a great passer as of now...

I don't think he has star potential in the conventional sense, but I think we have a distorted view of what a star is, to be honest. Marcus Smart is going to help a team win games, which is all that matters at the end of the day. There are basically three ways to win a basketball game. You can get more possessions than your opponent, you can score more efficiently than your opponent, or a combination of the two.

In this respect, the tangible positives of Marcus Smart's game are as follows...

-Rebounding (more possessions...he gets 7rpg per 40 minutes, best PG in college by a solid margin in this respect)
-Man Defense (lowering opponent efficiency)
-Defensive Versatility (can defend multiple positions, allowing you to put weaker teammates on weaker offensive players, lowering opponent efficiency)
-Ability to get to the FT line (free throws are the most efficient shot in basketball, he gets 9.9 FTAs per 40, which is a great number, 2nd best amongst college PGs)
-Pushes the ball well in transition (transition being the most efficient live ball opportunity to score)

His biggest negative is that he has a fairly high turnover rate. The fact that he's a 30% three point shooter is more than offset by his ability to get to the FT line. A 30% three point shooter is like someone shooting 45% from two point range. It's not great, but it's not awful either. More than anything else though, he's a hyper-competitive guy who's going to do anything he can to help his team win. He won't be a star in the respect that he'll put up great numbers, but he's going to help his team win.
I don't think he has star potential in the conventional sense, but I think we have a distorted view of what a star is, to be honest. Marcus Smart is going to help a team win games, which is all that matters at the end of the day. There are basically three ways to win a basketball game. You can get more possessions than your opponent, you can score more efficiently than your opponent, or a combination of the two.

In this respect, the tangible positives of Marcus Smart's game are as follows...

-Rebounding (more possessions...he gets 7rpg per 40 minutes, best PG in college by a solid margin in this respect)
-Man Defense (lowering opponent efficiency)
-Defensive Versatility (can defend multiple positions, allowing you to put weaker teammates on weaker offensive players, lowering opponent efficiency)
-Ability to get to the FT line (free throws are the most efficient shot in basketball, he gets 9.9 FTAs per 40, which is a great number, 2nd best amongst college PGs)
-Pushes the ball well in transition (transition being the most efficient live ball opportunity to score)

His biggest negative is that he has a fairly high turnover rate. The fact that he's a 30% three point shooter is more than offset by his ability to get to the FT line. A 30% three point shooter is like someone shooting 45% from two point range. It's not great, but it's not awful either. More than anything else though, he's a hyper-competitive guy who's going to do anything he can to help his team win. He won't be a star in the respect that he'll put up great numbers, but he's going to help his team win.

that's a good break down of his game. hopefully he can develop a 3 point shot early on. let's face it, kobe will be the primary ball handler / scorer again starting next season, and half time smart will just camp right outside the 3 point line. if he can't make his 3s, hard for me to see a reason to give him 30+ min while kobe is also on the court.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24538147/marshall-to-hire-dan-dantoni-as-its-next-mens-basketball-coach

one down, one to go!
so it looks like dandummy is staying. i guess our FO really thinks this guy can bring us a championship, or maybe we don't try doing that anymore. at least whoever we draft this year won't have to worry about learning how to play defense as well. let me know when 2015 season is over
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Happiest guy in the world is Jim Buss....Sterling hogging all the negative press now.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

Mike D'Antoni has resigned as Lakers coach, source tells ESPN
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

We've hit an insurmountable inpass and Mike will no longer be the Laker coach- mike D'Antoni's agent warren LeGarie tells yahoo

Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Congrats
Good for you guys.

Lakers are still going to suck for a couple of years regardless
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Good for you guys.

Lakers are still going to suck for a couple of years regardless

ya but we won't suck with dandummy.

winning!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
miracles do happen lol