There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Official 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
That's a lot of money to make over three years (including this one)

It really is. If this was baseball with no salary cap it would be fine... reward Kobe for all he has meant to the franchise. But in a cap league where the Lakers clearly need to add 2 impact pieces to win a title I just dont think it makes sense. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Nope it doesn't, and the homer radio guys in LA were talking about how great this signing is and how important it is for the Lakers to attract free agents.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
That's a lot of money to make over three years (including this one)

It really is. If this was baseball with no salary cap it would be fine... reward Kobe for all he has meant to the franchise. But in a cap league where the Lakers clearly need to add 2 impact pieces to win a title I just dont think it makes sense. But, maybe I'm wrong.

The value is contingent upon how he looks after coming back from the injury, obviously. Cause it's Kobe, most of us assume that he will come back at the same level because of his work ethic, drive, etc. With that said, that is a lot of damn money and may hamper them when it comes to signing other big name guys. Sam Amick retweeted something that said this signing will f**k up the 2015 cap. Any laker fans know how this affects payroll and the cap the next couple of years?
1) Don't understand the timing of the signing: why not have him play this season out and gauge his effectiveness before paying him.
2) Lulz at lakers committing close to $40M to a backcourt that's a combined 80 years old.
3) This signing is pretty much exactly what Kobe would want and not so much whats best for the Lakers. Kobe gets a couple more shots at the title while still being the unquestionable #1 guy (I personally dont think he has a shot unless hes OK with being the 1b or 2nd best player). He gets the highest salary in the league based on past performance rather than anticipated performance.
Laughably bad. Just laughably bad. smh
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Laughably bad. Just laughably bad. smh

I thought this would be your take Pete. A true Laker fan that looks at the big picture.
Guess Kobe and the Lakers don't want another ring or be contenders anymore.
I don't think this handcuffs the team as much as people might think. I'm not saying it's not a lot of money for an aging player, but they'll still have plenty of money to spend after Kobe, Nash, and sacre get paid. Which, IIRC, are the only players under contract after this season. I don't think Nash will be back, so they'll be alright.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I don't think this handcuffs the team as much as people might think. I'm not saying it's not a lot of money for an aging player, but they'll still have plenty of money to spend after Kobe, Nash, and sacre get paid. Which, IIRC, are the only players under contract after this season. I don't think Nash will be back, so they'll be alright.

Kobe's at 24 mill, Nash is at 9 mill, new cap is projected to be like 63 million...

Nick Young has a player option for 2 mill, Sacre will be here for 1 mill. That's $36 million locked up to those 4 guys. Then we have cap holds for everyone on the roster.

I think this deal all but guarantees Pau's departure (or a VERY steep discount from him to stay) and as far as Summer 2014 FA run...Idk what this means. Melo? Really? Best case scenario is Kobe, Melo, Pau, Nash? Nash is a epiphany away from retiring...God damnit
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Nice job staying calm after Ninerjohn has been coming at you like that.
Originally posted by GameOver:
Kobe's at 24 mill, Nash is at 9 mill, new cap is projected to be like 63 million...

Nick Young has a player option for 2 mill, Sacre will be here for 1 mill. That's $36 million locked up to those 4 guys. Then we have cap holds for everyone on the roster.

I think this deal all but guarantees Pau's departure (or a VERY steep discount from him to stay) and as far as Summer 2014 FA run...Idk what this means. Melo? Really? Best case scenario is Kobe, Melo, Pau, Nash? Nash is a epiphany away from retiring...God damnit

Isn't Pau leaving a forgone conclusion?
He could still restructure to bring in another player or two for a run.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
He could still restructure to bring in another player or two for a run.

Now this is some positive thinking. #TheSecret
Originally posted by sacniner:

Isn't Pau leaving a forgone conclusion?

Prior to this, I would have said no. Him coming back at a lower deal (say...$10 million) seemed feasible and reasonable under the one stipulation that Kobe takes a pay cut. Albeit, this deal is technically a pay cut it isn't enough to be able to keep Pau, some of our role guys (Jordan Hill, Xavier Henry, Jordan Farmar, and Wesley Johnson are all guys I want), and go after some necessary talent in the FA pool. We can offer 1 max deal and that's about it. I would much rather not give Carmelo $20 million and instead find two or three guys to take up that much space but of course, who?

WHO!!??!?!
Management either has something cooking behind the scenes (which I can't even imagine what that could be) or they really think this team is short just Kobe to make it a contender (LOL).
Prior to this, I would have said no. Him coming back at a lower deal (say...$10 million) seemed feasible and reasonable under the one stipulation that Kobe takes a pay cut. Albeit, this deal is technically a pay cut it isn't enough to be able to keep Pau, some of our role guys (Jordan Hill, Xavier Henry, Jordan Farmar, and Wesley Johnson are all guys I want), and go after some necessary talent in the FA pool. We can offer 1 max deal and that's about it. I would much rather not give Carmelo $20 million and instead find two or three guys to take up that much space but of course, who?

WHO!!??!?!

You guys always figure it out... Laker fans on twitter are suggesting that Kobe will still take a paycut if it means you guys will sign someone else. That ain't happening. This is his last contract and he just inked it. Why would he turn around and take a paycut? He likes his money and I don't blame him.

I agree with you about Melo. That would be a HORRENDOUS signing. I think almost everyone agrees. I would be shocked if they did that.
Get the Latest News at Lakers365.com