There are 318 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013-14 General NBA Discussion Thread

Now that's the way to build a team
Originally posted by Muggins:
@ESPNStatsInfo Suns could have as many as 4 1st-rd picks in 2014: Wiz pick is top-12 protected, Indy lottery protected, Minn top-13

Not a bad move. Draft's gonna be really strong next year. Even if you get a couple of picks in the early teens - you've a shot at a good player. But, they can't miss on the top 5 pick they're guaranteed to land.
1 more guy....
On the criticism that Brook Lopez isn't a very good rebounder, Shaq said, "I didn't rebound well, and nobody gave a fu*k... Reggie Evans, let that motherfu*ker rebound."

Two days after the Los Angeles Clippers, Phoenix Suns and Milwaukee Bucks agreed to a three-team trade involving Eric Bledsoe, Jared Dudley, J.J. Redick and others, Donald Sterling instructed his team president, Andy Roeser, to rescind the deal.

The deal had already been agreed upon and leaked to the media, but could not become official until July 11 when the moratorium was lifted.

It was up to Doc Rivers to change Sterling's mind, but Redick and his representatives couldn't wait much longer on whether his four-year, $27 million deal would be upheld.

Redick's other suitors were beginning to reach deals with other similar players.

Rivers had sold Redick that the culture of the Clippers was changing, but the turn of events showed that Sterling remains unpredictable.

Rivers was embarrassed and humiliated after agreeing to come to the Clippers with ultimate authority and he feared that his credibility in future talks would be paralyzed if this deal was rescinded.

There are some that believe Rivers would have been forced to step down if Sterling didn't relent.

"It never got to that," one source told Yahoo Sports, "but it might have had Sterling not come around."
sterling=maloofs part 2
Originally posted by pdizo916:
sterling=maloofs part 2

Sterling was doing this kinda thing long before the Maloofs even sniffed their first line off a hooker's ass.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
sterling=maloofs part 2

Sterling was doing this kinda thing long before the Maloofs even sniffed their first line off a hooker's ass.

This. But the Maloofs were still crazier. No owners will ever be like them
Anonymous GM talking about how tanking is the best way to be competitive again...

The ways in which NBA teams build a roster have been brought tightly into focus this season with so many teams unwilling to put a competitive team on the floor with the hopes of landing a high pick in the upcoming deep draft.

"Our team isn't good enough to win and we know it," said an anonymous general manager. "So this season we want to develop and evaluate our young players, let them learn from their mistakes -- and get us in position to grab a great player. The best way for us to do that is to lose a lot of games. This draft is loaded. There are potential All-Stars at the top, maybe even franchise changers. Sometimes my job is to understand the value of losing.

"I know that sounds crazy, but if you're an NBA general manager like me, the last place you want to be is in the middle. There are only two outcomes there: Either make the playoffs and be first-round fodder for one of the premier teams or miss the playoffs and pick somewhere around 11th to 14th in the draft. Either way, the odds are that you stay in that middle range. It's a recipe for disaster.

"You need superstars to compete in this league, and the playing field for those guys is tilted toward a few big-market teams. They are demanding trades and getting together and deciding where they want to go in free agency. It's tough for us to compete with that. So a high lottery pick is all we have."
Well someone said what everyone's thinking lol
Originally posted by GameOver:
Anonymous GM talking about how tanking is the best way to be competitive again...

The ways in which NBA teams build a roster have been brought tightly into focus this season with so many teams unwilling to put a competitive team on the floor with the hopes of landing a high pick in the upcoming deep draft.

"Our team isn't good enough to win and we know it," said an anonymous general manager. "So this season we want to develop and evaluate our young players, let them learn from their mistakes -- and get us in position to grab a great player. The best way for us to do that is to lose a lot of games. This draft is loaded. There are potential All-Stars at the top, maybe even franchise changers. Sometimes my job is to understand the value of losing.

"I know that sounds crazy, but if you're an NBA general manager like me, the last place you want to be is in the middle. There are only two outcomes there: Either make the playoffs and be first-round fodder for one of the premier teams or miss the playoffs and pick somewhere around 11th to 14th in the draft. Either way, the odds are that you stay in that middle range. It's a recipe for disaster.

"You need superstars to compete in this league, and the playing field for those guys is tilted toward a few big-market teams. They are demanding trades and getting together and deciding where they want to go in free agency. It's tough for us to compete with that. So a high lottery pick is all we have."

This has been true for NBA for as long as I can remember. Not a new revelation...but interesting that a current anonymous GM has finally said it. NBA needs to get rid of soft cap and make it a hard cap like NFL.
[ Edited by 4ML on Oct 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by GameOver:

This has been true for NBA for as long as I can remember. Not a new revelation...but interesting that a current anonymous GM has finally said it. NBA needs to get rid of soft cap and make it a hard cap like NFL.

And remove the maximum a player can make. They would have to do both, otherwise the hard cap does nothing for me.
Bout to watch some Magic v Pacers.
lol Pacers murdering Orlando. 10-0
Rose is back!!!

Let's go bulls!!!