LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

NBA considers nicknames on Heat, Nets jerseys

MIAMI (AP) -- So long, James, Allen, Pierce and Garnett.

King James, Jesus Shuttlesworth, The Truth and KG may be headed to the backs of NBA jerseys.

Some members of the Miami Heat have been told the NBA is considering having them and the Brooklyn Nets wear "nickname jerseys" in at least one of their four matchups this season. The NBA has not announced the plan, but teams apparently have been aware of the likelihood of it happening for at least several weeks.

For now, only the Heat and the Nets would be taking part. It's unclear how many times those teams would wear the nickname jerseys, or if they would ever wear them against other opponents.

"It shows growth in our league and it shows we do adapt to what's going on around us," said Allen, the Heat guard who plans to wear Shuttlesworth on his jersey, a nod to his character from the "He Got Game" film. "And we're still kids, playing a kids' game. Even though we're now men playing a kids' game, we still remember where we come from. Everybody had a nickname and it's a way to let the fans in a little bit more."

Players were asked to submit what names they would want on the jerseys.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/09/23/nba-may-allow-player-nicknames-on-jerseys.ap/
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
This is so lame. But, I guess it could be worse than 1 game. If they must, Lebron should wear Chosen One over King James.
[ Edited by 4ML on Sep 25, 2013 at 1:47 AM ]
3 words: HE HATE ME
maybe if they wear it during a couple of games, they could auction off those jersey and donate the proceeds to charity.
Will Greg Oden's jersey say
"Grandpa"
Another reason why the NBA sucks.
lol what a stupid idea
jumping the shark
XFL called, they want their Schtick back.

BTW, I guarantee this is all about Jersey sales. NBA will be selling these nickname jerseys, and I wouldn't be surprised if they outsell their "last name" counterparts 2 to 1.

what a joke
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Wack
Share 49ersWebzone