There are 180 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Football Question, need to know?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Do you think a QB would have to understand mechanics (footwork, release, crossover,) to understand a Pro Style system at any level, say WCO??
yes
do you think someone would have to know how to throw a ball to be a starting pitcher?
[ Edited by jrg on Sep 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jrg:
do you think someone would have to know how to throw a ball to be a starting pitcher?

Yes, be it a slider, curve, change up. Also its just not throwing with the arm, its all in the wind up or pitchers mechanics.

Reason I ask, this poster and I on a Hawaii forum were arguing, why Colt Brennan failed as a Pro. I said he struggled with mechanics trying to apply it to the Pro style system, WCO to be exact.

Footwork:

3-step drop - Basic for a Hitch, slant, quick ins or quick outs.

5-step drop quick, 5-step drop big, 5-step drop with a hitch step - Basic for, wheel routes, deep post, deep comeback, deep sideline and others.

Learning this, along with releasing the ball is crucial for precision-timed passing....is it not?
I think the biggest things with qb's is commitment and ability, you either have it or you don't.

The timing and understanding of mechanism etc can be taught and learned through a commitment to their craft.

But in answer to your question I agree that sound mechanic and an understanding of those mechanics would be essential.
Yes and no. Some players just have that natural ability and their own style of plays, while others need to be coached.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yes, be it a slider, curve, change up. Also its just not throwing with the arm, its all in the wind up or pitchers mechanics.

Reason I ask, this poster and I on a Hawaii forum were arguing, why Colt Brennan failed as a Pro. I said he struggled with mechanics trying to apply it to the Pro style system, WCO to be exact.

Footwork:

5-step drop quick, 5-step drop big, 5-step drop with a hitch step - Basic for, wheel routes, deep post, deep comeback, deep sideline and others.

Learning this, along with releasing the ball is crucial for precision-timed passing....is it not?

Just giving ya trouble man
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Footwork:

Just giving ya trouble man

No, you actually made a point, and help me understand the answer to my question more. Thanks jrq.