There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PAC 12 Champion Stanford Cardinal Football Thread

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
You took Stanford? Wish I did. They couldn't cover for s**t the first half of the year.

How many times were they getting 10 points at home?
  • Liono
  • Member
  • Posts: 327
Mariota was hurt at the start of the game. He normally runs like Kaepernick, but several times last night he threw it away when he could have picked up a big chunk of yardage. Stanford beat the Ducks up, up front, on both ends, but the Ducks still got 0 points in 3 redzone opportunties. So you know...one play and we'd all be singing a different tune. That's the nature of the game.
Stanford: The roadblock to a Pac-12 team going to the BCS championship game.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Stanford: The roadblock to a Pac-12 team going to the BCS championship game.

Poor Pac-12. My heart bleeds for them.

I just rewatched the game. Stanford D has been the hot topic but I just watched an oline clinic. That line is the gold standard in college football and will be for the next couple if years.
great freakin' game.. and i rarely watch college ball
GREAT win by Stanford...and now for the 'but'. BUT, the Shaw Doctrine was in full effect, which is take a dominating, impressive blowout in the 4th qtr and turn it into a game closer than it ever should have been. I know the Stanford OL was dominant, but feel free to mix in a forward pass once in a while...nothing crazy, maybe a screen to Barry Jr.? But SOMETHING to maybe get a TD instead of keep settling for FGs, which it was inevitable one would get blocked.

If Stanford wins out, which would include a win over Notre Dame (who may still be ranked at that time) plus a victory in the Pac-12 title game, they would end up with 6 or even 7 victories over ranked opponents, playing in arguably the best conference not named the SEC. But because college football is stupid and doesn't have true playoffs, they'll get screwed by that Utah loss unless something happens with FSU, Baylor ( and maybe OSU, although think Stanford would leapfrog them regardless)...personally, though, I think Stanford is better than all 3 of those teams and would give Bama the best challenge in title game.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
GREAT win by Stanford...and now for the 'but'. BUT, the Shaw Doctrine was in full effect, which is take a dominating, impressive blowout in the 4th qtr and turn it into a game closer than it ever should have been. I know the Stanford OL was dominant, but feel free to mix in a forward pass once in a while...nothing crazy, maybe a screen to Barry Jr.? But SOMETHING to maybe get a TD instead of keep settling for FGs, which it was inevitable one would get blocked.

If Stanford wins out, which would include a win over Notre Dame (who may still be ranked at that time) plus a victory in the Pac-12 title game, they would end up with 6 or even 7 victories over ranked opponents, playing in arguably the best conference not named the SEC. But because college football is stupid and doesn't have true playoffs, they'll get screwed by that Utah loss unless something happens with FSU, Baylor ( and maybe OSU, although think Stanford would leapfrog them regardless)...personally, though, I think Stanford is better than all 3 of those teams and would give Bama the best challenge in title game.

Stanford didnt need to take any risks as they were dominating the game and running the ball effectively. The only reason that the Ducks even got back in the game was special team break downs. I would have played it exactly like Shaw did.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Stanford didnt need to take any risks as they were dominating the game and running the ball effectively. The only reason that the Ducks even got back in the game was special team break downs. I would have played it exactly like Shaw did.

agreed.. 40 something minutes time of possession? they played it perfectly.. except for the slight collapse at the end
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
GREAT win by Stanford...and now for the 'but'. BUT, the Shaw Doctrine was in full effect, which is take a dominating, impressive blowout in the 4th qtr and turn it into a game closer than it ever should have been. I know the Stanford OL was dominant, but feel free to mix in a forward pass once in a while...nothing crazy, maybe a screen to Barry Jr.? But SOMETHING to maybe get a TD instead of keep settling for FGs, which it was inevitable one would get blocked.

If Stanford wins out, which would include a win over Notre Dame (who may still be ranked at that time) plus a victory in the Pac-12 title game, they would end up with 6 or even 7 victories over ranked opponents, playing in arguably the best conference not named the SEC. But because college football is stupid and doesn't have true playoffs, they'll get screwed by that Utah loss unless something happens with FSU, Baylor ( and maybe OSU, although think Stanford would leapfrog them regardless)...personally, though, I think Stanford is better than all 3 of those teams and would give Bama the best challenge in title game.

Why pass it when the Oregon can't stop the run? You're trying to eat clock and eliminate turnovers. Why even put the ball into the air for an incompletion that stops the clock or turnover that puts them in the game? I mean your equating the running game to the blocked FG because they didn't score but passing hardly guarantees a score. In fact the field is shorter so routes are limited and blitz is more likely. The Stanford passing game wasn't strong to begin with so in the RZ I take Gaffney in the Rz over Hogan any day, all day.

Btw College football doesn't have a playoff system period. That's next year. I don't even feel like getting inti that discussion but going by rank is best. I think Stanford is better than Baylor and OSU. FSU has just as good a defense as Stanford's. Not as technically sound but more athletic and explosive. They have your offense dead in the water tho. That would be a good game but I don't think you shut them out. They just have too many good skill position players, a transcendent qb, and a top 10 oline. You guys greatly benefitted from Mariottas implosion. Winston's a baller though and he wouldn't be missing the throws Mariotta was.
Originally posted by bayarealuv:
agreed.. 40 something minutes time of possession? they played it perfectly.. except for the slight collapse at the end
Exactly. If he would've went with the pass in the RZ people would be complaining about him not running it. This guy has to be a Niners fan - he complains even when his team dominates.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Stanford didnt need to take any risks as they were dominating the game and running the ball effectively. The only reason that the Ducks even got back in the game was special team break downs. I would have played it exactly like Shaw did.

Should have went for TD to end the half. They could run all game and could have gotten into the end zone after the PI. They didn't score a TD rest of the way whether by design or not
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Stanford didnt need to take any risks as they were dominating the game and running the ball effectively. The only reason that the Ducks even got back in the game was special team break downs. I would have played it exactly like Shaw did.

Should have went for TD to end the half. They could run all game and could have gotten into the end zone after the PI. They didn't score a TD rest of the way whether by design or not

I disagree. Take the 3 points there and keep the momentum. It put them ahead by 3 scores. If they go for it and dont make it Oregon suddenly gets hope.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I disagree. Take the 3 points there and keep the momentum. It put them ahead by 3 scores. If they go for it and dont make it Oregon suddenly gets hope.

Exactly. I don't see why people over think this. Take the 3 points. It becomes a 3 possession game. They spent 9 min getting to the RZ. They iced Oregons offense and ate a Qtr now take the 3 points. The possibility of not getting at least a FG is not an option so go into the half 17 up. Mission accomplished.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
GREAT win by Stanford...and now for the 'but'. BUT, the Shaw Doctrine was in full effect, which is take a dominating, impressive blowout in the 4th qtr and turn it into a game closer than it ever should have been. I know the Stanford OL was dominant, but feel free to mix in a forward pass once in a while...nothing crazy, maybe a screen to Barry Jr.? But SOMETHING to maybe get a TD instead of keep settling for FGs, which it was inevitable one would get blocked.

If Stanford wins out, which would include a win over Notre Dame (who may still be ranked at that time) plus a victory in the Pac-12 title game, they would end up with 6 or even 7 victories over ranked opponents, playing in arguably the best conference not named the SEC. But because college football is stupid and doesn't have true playoffs, they'll get screwed by that Utah loss unless something happens with FSU, Baylor ( and maybe OSU, although think Stanford would leapfrog them regardless)...personally, though, I think Stanford is better than all 3 of those teams and would give Bama the best challenge in title game.

Why pass it when the Oregon can't stop the run? You're trying to eat clock and eliminate turnovers. Why even put the ball into the air for an incompletion that stops the clock or turnover that puts them in the game? I mean your equating the running game to the blocked FG because they didn't score but passing hardly guarantees a score. In fact the field is shorter so routes are limited and blitz is more likely. The Stanford passing game wasn't strong to begin with so in the RZ I take Gaffney in the Rz over Hogan any day, all day.

Btw College football doesn't have a playoff system period. That's next year. I don't even feel like getting inti that discussion but going by rank is best. I think Stanford is better than Baylor and OSU. FSU has just as good a defense as Stanford's. Not as technically sound but more athletic and explosive. They have your offense dead in the water tho. That would be a good game but I don't think you shut them out. They just have too many good skill position players, a transcendent qb, and a top 10 oline. You guys greatly benefitted from Mariottas implosion. Winston's a baller though and he wouldn't be missing the throws Mariotta was.

Yeah, I know there's no playoff system. I said "true playoffs", as the conference championship games are a pseudo playoff, although even this isn't foolproof when we've seen a team not win their conference yet still make it to the title game. And I never said anything about having Hogan all of a sudden start throwing the ball all over the yard...there are very low-risk passes, e.g. screen/swing to Gaffney/Sanders, bubble screen to Montgomery, just the occasional mixing in of something to get the ball to a playmaker in space, including jet sweeps that worked multiple times earlier in the game. And to be fair, running up the middle isn't risk-free, that was extremely fortunate that Gaffney was able to recover his own fumble. Oregon wasn't stuffing the run in the 4th, but since they pretty much knew what was coming they were able to force 4th downs/FG attempts...even David Shaw said he wasn't happy with how they finished the game.

I'll reiterate, it was a GREAT win, and shows that when Stanford is playing their high-caliber football and not sleepwalking (Utah), they are one of the 2-3 best teams in the nation. Stanford vs FSU would be a great game, but I do think Stanford on their A-game would win. If it were 2014 we'd probably get to find out.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Yeah, I know there's no playoff system. I said "true playoffs", as the conference championship games are a pseudo playoff, although even this isn't foolproof when we've seen a team not win their conference yet still make it to the title game. And I never said anything about having Hogan all of a sudden start throwing the ball all over the yard...there are very low-risk passes, e.g. screen/swing to Gaffney/Sanders, bubble screen to Montgomery, just the occasional mixing in of something to get the ball to a playmaker in space, including jet sweeps that worked multiple times earlier in the game. And to be fair, running up the middle isn't risk-free, that was extremely fortunate that Gaffney was able to recover his own fumble. Oregon wasn't stuffing the run in the 4th, but since they pretty much knew what was coming they were able to force 4th downs/FG attempts...even David Shaw said he wasn't happy with how they finished the game.

I'll reiterate, it was a GREAT win, and shows that when Stanford is playing their high-caliber football and not sleepwalking (Utah), they are one of the 2-3 best teams in the nation. Stanford vs FSU would be a great game, but I do think Stanford on their A-game would win. If it were 2014 we'd probably get to find out.

And my point is they would have been able to force a 4th/FG attempt more easily if Hogan was passing it. If you take away Montgomery there's about a 60% chance a passing play results in a incompletion. If you want to kill a drive then throw an incompletion on 1st or 2nd. In fact as D coordinator I welcome this because anything that puts your offense in 3rd and long is a recipe to win. I mean it is bland but Shaw played a tacticians game. He knew that his best way of staying on the field was staying ahead of the chains and he avoided the situations that would put him behind. I mean it was something like 55 runs to 17 passes. I admire the discipline because honestly what's the difference. They're yards no matter which way you gain them.

I mean conference champs aren't playoffs. They have no bearing on the NCG. ND is am example because they didn't play one.Alabama the year before is another. Because they didn't play one. CCG are just that: a conference championship. They can reinforce the discussion for certain teams to get in but they're not a minor to the major. The BCS was never intended to be that way. The BCS attempts to vote on the best teams. Personally I think this works out better. They need to bridge the divide between one loss and undefeated though.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home