There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 College Football Thread!

Yeah, the Sun Devils ate their Wheaties this morning, holy s**t Washington got rocked.

Tre Mason had an outstanding game for Auburn, as much as A&M's passing game gets so much attention, Auburn ran for nearly 400 yards on them today. Yes, ran for nearly 400 yards.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah, the Sun Devils ate their Wheaties this morning, holy s**t Washington got rocked.

Tre Mason had an outstanding game for Auburn, as much as A&M's passing game gets so much attention, Auburn ran for nearly 400 yards on them today. Yes, ran for nearly 400 yards.

Yea but that AM defense is tuuurrible.
ole miss downs auburn
Originally posted by ads_2006:
ole miss downs auburn

Lol.

Ole miss beat LSU.

Auburn beat TAMU.
I have a question: If, according to college football rules, a play is whistled dead when the player(in possession of the ball)'s knee is down, then how can a fake FG take ever place? The holder's knee is down, and then he moves to an active/live ball position and/or laterals the ball from said kneeling position. Wouldn't he be down/whistled dead, immediately? No player in possession of the ball, at any point, can get up after their knee is down, yet this is overlooked/never called during fake FGs. Explain...
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
I have a question: If, according to college football rules, a play is whistled dead when the player(in possession of the ball)'s knee is down, then how can a fake FG take ever place? The holder's knee is down, and then he moves to an active/live ball position and/or laterals the ball from said kneeling position. Wouldn't he be down/whistled dead, immediately? No player in possession of the ball, at any point, can get up after their knee is down, yet this is overlooked/never called during fake FGs. Explain..
They're are two instances where a ball is dead. Or the play is dead.

The first one is when the ball leaves a players hand with a forward motion and hits the ground before it is caught.

The second is when a players elbows or knees touch the ground, but this is the important part, that players has to be touched by a defensive for the play to be over. He can roll around on the ground making grass angels but if a defensive player hasn't touched him then the play is not dead.

So to recap when an offensive player is touched by a defensive player the moment his knee or elbow hits the ground the play is over.

The long snapper hasn't been touched by a defensive player therefore he can kneel on the ground with the ball in his hand.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
I have a question: If, according to college football rules, a play is whistled dead when the player(in possession of the ball)'s knee is down, then how can a fake FG take ever place? The holder's knee is down, and then he moves to an active/live ball position and/or laterals the ball from said kneeling position. Wouldn't he be down/whistled dead, immediately? No player in possession of the ball, at any point, can get up after their knee is down, yet this is overlooked/never called during fake FGs. Explain..
They're are two instances where a ball is dead. Or the play is dead.

The first one is when the ball leaves a players hand with a forward motion and hits the ground before it is caught.

The second is when a players elbows or knees touch the ground, but this is the important part, that players has to be touched by a defensive for the play to be over. He can roll around on the ground making grass angels but if a defensive player hasn't touched him then the play is not dead.

So to recap when an offensive player is touched by a defensive player the moment his knee or elbow hits the ground the play is over.

The long snapper hasn't been touched by a defensive player therefore he can kneel on the ground with the ball in his hand.

But, in the college game, an offensive player doesn't need to be touched by a defender, a knee/body part down is whistled dead without contact. And no long-snapper ever kneels with the ball in live action; it's all pre-snap, if ever.
Edit: do you mean holder, not long snapper? Which is my point- how can the holder go from knee down with the ball to live play...?
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Oct 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM ]
C. Halliday 58/89 557 6.3 4 4

How good is Jameis Winston? Holy crap.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
C. Halliday 58/89 557 6.3 4 4

Came here to post the same thing, 89 attempts on 101 plays lol
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yea hes a bruiser with speed. Him and Jeremey Hill are the best in the SEC so far but Yeldon looks like hes about to hit his stride. Collins vs Yeldon.tonight will be good.

Davis is leading the SEC statistically speaking, but he has been a pleasure to watch. Very physical player who has been tough to bring down. Looks like someone who may have a promising career on Sundays.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I'm shocked we shut down Sankey, but not surprised at all our offense ate up Washington's D.

ASU's offense at home is excellent. I mean we've been putting up points against USC/Notre Dame/Stanford/Wisconsin. All 4 of those teams have top 15-20 front 7's in the nation.

I said at the start of the year we are 8 win squad and I'm sticking with that. I think we lose Oregon State and UCLA. I think matchup wise, we will kill Utah. But at the same time match up wise, Washington State could be a sneaker upset against us.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

BCS standings: 1. #Bama 2. #FSU. 3. #Oregon 4. #OhioSt 5. #Mizzou 6. Stan 7. #Miami 8. #BAYLOR 9. #Clemson 10. #TTU
Anti Pac-12 bias rears its head again in the polls...Stanford should've never dropped so far after the a close loss at Utah, although they did make a nice jump in the initial BCS rankings. And how are OSU and ASU not ranked in the AP?

#15 in the AP Poll