2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by jrg:
Still angry about this

that push to the cart was foul.. seems like a good kid
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS

BREAKING #NotreDame DC Bob Diaco will be the new head coach at #UConn, source told CBS. 5yr deal, starts at $1.5 mil.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
1- C.R.E.A.M. - If the rumors are true of a 10 year 100 million dollar deal...it's a tough offer to pass up and definitely a better offer than 7 mill a year. 10 million a year, in a state with no income tax and arguably the best job in college football with the chance to become the GOAT.

2- Legacy - Even if Saban wins 3 more NC's at Bama before he calls it quits, he'll never be Bear Bryant in Alabama. There would be a strong argument that Saban would be the greatest CFB coach of all time yes but if he goes to Texas and wins a couple or maybe a few NC's the argument is much stronger.

All that aside, he could be using the opportunity to leverage Alabama into a bigger contract extension, meaning more than 7 mill a year.
The Alabama job is better than the Texas job. Alabama has aggressively raised the salary of his assistants. He's had the top recruiting class in the country for like 5 years. Alabama has allowed Saban to be the AD. Can Texas give him those things?

Alabama can pay whatever Texas can pay. I don't see finances being an issue. Saban wouldn't leave Alabama over money. I could see him leaving for an NFL job, but not leaving Alabama for another college job. He has everything he needs to win a national championship at Alabama. If there was a playoff system he would be getting ready to compete for one.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Question for everyone: Would you rather have 10M a year and live in Austin, where they support the team but have many other outside interests, plus it's Austin one of the 5 best cities in America? Or Make similar money in podunk Alabama where all anyone cares about and lives for is Roll Tide 24-7?
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
1- C.R.E.A.M. - If the rumors are true of a 10 year 100 million dollar deal...it's a tough offer to pass up and definitely a better offer than 7 mill a year. 10 million a year, in a state with no income tax and arguably the best job in college football with the chance to become the GOAT.

2- Legacy - Even if Saban wins 3 more NC's at Bama before he calls it quits, he'll never be Bear Bryant in Alabama. There would be a strong argument that Saban would be the greatest CFB coach of all time yes but if he goes to Texas and wins a couple or maybe a few NC's the argument is much stronger.

All that aside, he could be using the opportunity to leverage Alabama into a bigger contract extension, meaning more than 7 mill a year.
The Alabama job is better than the Texas job. Alabama has aggressively raised the salary of his assistants. He's had the top recruiting class in the country for like 5 years. Alabama has allowed Saban to be the AD. Can Texas give him those things?

Alabama can pay whatever Texas can pay. I don't see finances being an issue. Saban wouldn't leave Alabama over money. I could see him leaving for an NFL job, but not leaving Alabama for another college job. He has everything he needs to win a national championship at Alabama. If there was a playoff system he would be getting ready to compete for one.
e, I am not sure Bama can match fiscally Texas. As strange as it sounds, the only other school in the SEC money-wise that could might be A&M. That Texas oil money, yo. The thing is that makes all of this a wild card is that Saban is an assassin. He can cut ties with the best of them and move on. Doesn't mean he is a bad dude or that he is a great dude, he purses the challenge.

Originally posted by TX9R:
Question for everyone: Would you rather have 10M a year and live in Austin, where they support the team but have many other outside interests, plus it's Austin one of the 5 best cities in America? Or Make similar money in podunk Alabama where all anyone cares about and lives for is Roll Tide 24-7?
Either place he is worshiped. Alabama, because outside of Auburn, there is nothing else. If he wanted to be treated like a God, go to Arkansas and win!
The money is insane, though. Damn. Austin is nice as well. A bit crowded know a days, but still very nice.

I am not sure. If it is legacy, I go to Austin. If it is about doing it at three different schools. And I do believe he can pass the Bear at Bama, but he has to go on an unprecedented run. I am not sure if he has the legs for it.

your love for the SEC is strong.

Texas is a better job without a doubt
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

The Alabama job is NOT better than the Texas job. Saban has brought prestige back to Bama and that job but don't kid yourself, Texas is the best job in all of college football and Texas is the wealthiest athletic program in the country.

As far as finances go...a lot of chatter going around about Saban being in debt (like 25 million) from bad business deals with Bama boosters that UT boosters will make go away.
The Alabama job is NOT better than the Texas job. Saban has brought prestige back to Bama and that job but don't kid yourself, Texas is the best job in all of college football and Texas is the wealthiest athletic program in the country.

As far as finances go...a lot of chatter going around about Saban being in debt (like 25 million) from bad business deals with Bama boosters that UT boosters will make go away.

Texas AD revenue: 155mil
Alabama AD revenue:130mil

The gap isn't that large. Alabama is not poor, guys. They spent 40mil to expand the stadium in 2006. Another 80mil in 2010. It has the 5th largest capacity in the country. The training facilities are the very best in the country. I'm sure they would have no problem matching anything Texas puts out there. They would have no problem acquiring additional investment if needed.

Yet again I really don't think money is the deciding factor which is why I find it funny that the "chatter" is that Saban has all this bad Bama debt that Texas booster will make disappear. Furthermore, I find it funny that Saban is basically already in orange while Mack Brown is out recruiting. From what I heard the Texas board of trustees are having an internal power struggle all revolving around what Mack Browns capacity will be after his resignation. Saban isn't going to step into that kind of environment unless he has complete fidelity in the board, and right now he does not have anything close to that.

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
your love for the SEC is strong.

Texas is a better job without a doubt

Yes, it is. But I have tried to look at this objectively. Finances can't be an issue. Alabama only has 5% income tax, and I'm sure you can wipe that out through charity. Is he getting better facilities to train his players? They have a zero gravity running machine made by NASA. They're aggressively extending his assistants contracts. Texas is not going to be another tier up, because Bama is right their with them. On top of all that the recruiting process is rolling, and there's no other word for it. I'm serious these past 2 recruiting classes are the kind that college coaches dream of because they win championships.

Could Texas provide the resources to replicate this environment? Sure, but it would be on the back of Saban. Saban is 62, and I really doubt he wants to spend his twilight years rebuilding Texas football. Not to mention he has to re-evaluate all his coaching method when he moves to the Big12. Completely different offenses. So step into unknown waters at Texas or stay in Alabama where you're getting the financial backing and recruiting classes to close out your career with at least 2 more national titles over the next 5 years? And this is the line for me. I would choose Bama because there's not another school that is set up inside to out like they are. Saban doesn't want to spend another 5-10 years learning another conference, rebuilding a program, and possibly winning a championship. He's 62, and he needs to win now while he the time is right. When it's all said and done Alabama will give him any job within that organization he wants.

I just feel like he started this thing. I realize that doesn't mean he has to finish it. And maybe he wants to start another thing at Texas. That would be pretty incredible but it's a matter of debate as to whether it would be more incredible then what he could do at Bama. Let's say he wins 2 more championships over the next 3 years which I fully believe he could do. He's at 5 championships in 10 years. It would be the greatest dynasty ever in college football and maybe all sports. He would retire just as exalted as Bear Bryant was. It would take half the effort as well because he would still have to establish an infrastructure at Texas, and that will take at least 2 years. Maybe that's what Saban wants though. To set himself apart from Alabama football. Maybe Texas is the best job in college football, but if I'm Saban all things considered that doesn't mean much.

Really I feel the only answer to this question is something we wont know until it's done. We're not going to know why Saban would go to Texas until he actually went, and told us. There would have to be some internal motivations that we don't know about it. I'm not saying those are not there, but I only know what I can see, and I see Bama being in a much better position to win now.
Highest paid assistant coaches:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/free/20131213highest-paid-college-football-assistant-coaches-2013.html

Interesting stuff. LSU, Michigan, Texas, Alabama and Clemson really throw the money out there for assistant coaches.

Makes me think Brady Hoke (HC of Michigan) will be fired if he doesn't have a good year next year.
Reading reaction from a couple of sites and all I can say that Bama fans are relieved while Texas fans are pissed.
Mack Brown will indeed resign as Texas head coach right after the bowl game.
Nice game Carr, signature choke job in the annual bowl game
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Nice game Carr, signature choke job in the annual bowl game

Farking Bulldogs!
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB

Multiple sources tell http://bit.ly/2ENVsd ; Texas' coaching search focus now squarely on UCLA's Jim Mora.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownOB

Multiple sources tell http://bit.ly/2ENVsd ; Texas' coaching search focus now squarely on UCLA's Jim Mora.

Sweet, all I need now is Hundley to leave for the NFL and ASU seals the PAC-12 south for another year
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home