There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I still dont understand your logic though. How can you say that Bama should be in the NCG just because in your estimation they are one of the top 2 best teams. Doesnt it matter that they lost today or do you just ignore that?

It matters to some degree, but not like in other sports. Teams play dissimilar schedules, they don't settle the NCG participants on the field, and it's something that's voted on (presumably) with the idea in mind that the two best teams should play in the NCG. Auburn winning a nail-biter at home doesn't prove them to be the better team in my eyes. Eliminating Alabama on the basis of a road loss to the #4 team in the country is holding them to a standard that no one else has to even face.

Do you think there are two teams in the country that are better than Alabama?
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I'd much prefer it as a CCG winners playoff.

I think it would produce a lot of surprising results. Not unlike the NFL where a 6th seed making playoffs in the final game to make wildcard can win the superbowl

What conferences and how would you seed it?

This year?

1. SEC (Auburn)
2. PAC-12 (Stanford)
3. ACC (Florida State)
4. Big 10 (Ohio State)
5. Big 12 (Oklahoma State)
6. AAC(Central Florida)
7. Wildcard (2nd highest ranked SEC team, Alabama)
8. Wildcard (Northern Illinois)

Auburn v. Northern Illinois
Stanford v. Alabama
Florida stat v. Central Florida
Ohio State v. Oklahoma State

^^^with that format above, I'd feel extremely confident the eventual winner is the true champion

I based seeding on my rough memory of how conferences did OOC,l which I still believe should be mandated and set and not left to teams themselves.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
This year?

1. SEC (Auburn)
2. PAC-12 (Stanford)
3. ACC (Florida State)
4. Big 10 (Ohio State)
5. Big 12 (Oklahoma State)
6. AAC(Central Florida)
7. Wildcard (2nd highest ranked SEC team, Alabama)
8. Wildcard (Northern Illinois)

Auburn v. Northern Illinois
Stanford v. Alabama
Florida stat v. Central Florida
Ohio State v. Oklahoma State

^^^with that format above, I'd feel extremely confident the eventual winner is the true champion

I based seeding on my rough memory of how conferences did OOC,l which I still believe should be mandated and set and not left to teams themselves.

I would vote on the wildcard spots with criteria considered being SOS, record, revenue, and rivalry possibility. Ultimately, I think this may be the system they move too. It allows the "best" teams from each conference to compete along with the darkhorses for the national title. I think ideally this is the way the playoff system will eventually work. There's usually at least one team that rises to the top from each conference but then again I guess the voting will always skew the process from a true conference playoff. To be honest though I like getting the best match-ups possible.
[ Edited by eonblue on Dec 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I still dont understand your logic though. How can you say that Bama should be in the NCG just because in your estimation they are one of the top 2 best teams. Doesnt it matter that they lost today or do you just ignore that?

It matters to some degree, but not like in other sports. Teams play dissimilar schedules, they don't settle the NCG participants on the field, and it's something that's voted on (presumably) with the idea in mind that the two best teams should play in the NCG. Auburn winning a nail-biter at home doesn't prove them to be the better team in my eyes. Eliminating Alabama on the basis of a road loss to the #4 team in the country is holding them to a standard that no one else has to even face.

I do. Furthermore, I think there are about 5 teams that could beat them.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
and unless there is an upset the SEC is likely shut out of the title game.

You don't Mich St. stands a chance against OSU?

Like I said............. unless there is an upset. Sure, Mich St has a chance

It would be absurd to put a 1 loss in and keep an undefeated out. Ohio State went undefeated 2 years in a row. I know last year doesn't mean anything for this year but I'm just saying.

A SEC less championship I think would actually be good for this year. Give somebody else a chance. 9/10 years they are in it. They had their chances this year too but key teams lost and that means something. A loss counts for something as does undefeated count for something.
Body of work, though, has to mean something. Do you put in an undefeated team that almost lost to unranked sorry ass Michigan in over an Auburn team with one loss that plays in the toughest and highest ranked division in the highest ranked toughest conference in all of football? If Auburn wins out over Mizzou, they should get in. Trust me as an Arkansas fan, I hate seeing them go. But they've earned it. One other thing, Ohio State in those two years played nobody.

If it goes by strength of schedule look at who Auburn played and look at who Ohio State played. Undefeated if you are playing nobody does not count for something ask Boise State a couple years back.
  • Amir
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRambler:

I do. Furthermore, I think there are about 5 teams that could beat them.

lol no.

Bama is still the best team in the country IMO and should be in the title game but most likely won't unless some insane s**t happens in the conference championship.

At tuscaloosa, ain't nobody beating Bama. At opponent home, maybe two teams in the country can beat them. At neutral field, maybe one team in the country could beat them.
Originally posted by 11OnDaField1NMyHeart:
lol no.

Bama is still the best team in the country IMO and should be in the title game but most likely won't unless some insane s**t happens in the conference championship.

At tuscaloosa, ain't nobody beating Bama. At opponent home, maybe two teams in the country can beat them. At neutral field, maybe one team in the country could beat them.

Sounds like what Bama fans were saying walking into the Super Dome right before Utah crushed them 31-17.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
LOL the guy at the 1:45 mark..........this is me during 49er games

Probably not but that doesnt matter to me. Bama lost on the field to the team that they would be competing with for the NCG against Fl. St. It is clear in my mind that they have no business now being in the game unless Ohio St and Auburn both lose next weekend.
Ohio state in the championship game would be a snooze fest. They would get rolled over by anybody
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Ohio state in the championship game would be a snooze fest. They would get rolled over by anybody

People have been saying this all year. There is absolutely no basis for this at all. Yes OSU has a bad defense, but their offense is one of the top 4 in the country. People are evaluating it like a Jim Tressel team when it's an Urban Meyer team. Think Florida 2009, not OSU 2007 that shouldn't have been in the Natl title game.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by 11OnDaField1NMyHeart:
lol no.

Sounds like what Bama fans were saying walking into the Super Dome right before Utah crushed them 31-17.

Have you noticed nobody ever talks about that? It's bc the SEC and ESPN/CBS have fat money deals. Watch FOX coverage of CFB and they'll talk about the pac12 and big 10 like they are the only conferences that matter. There are no unbiased reports, or votes for that matter, in CFB.
Originally posted by fropwns:

It would be absurd to put a 1 loss in and keep an undefeated out. Ohio State went undefeated 2 years in a row. I know last year doesn't mean anything for this year but I'm just saying.

A SEC less championship I think would actually be good for this year. Give somebody else a chance. 9/10 years they are in it. They had their chances this year too but key teams lost and that means something. A loss counts for something as does undefeated count for something.
Body of work, though, has to mean something. Do you put in an undefeated team that almost lost to unranked sorry ass Michigan in over an Auburn team with one loss that plays in the toughest and highest ranked division in the highest ranked toughest conference in all of football? If Auburn wins out over Mizzou, they should get in. Trust me as an Arkansas fan, I hate seeing them go. But they've earned it. One other thing, Ohio State in those two years played nobody.

If it goes by strength of schedule look at who Auburn played and look at who Ohio State played. Undefeated if you are playing nobody does not count for something ask Boise State a couple years back.

An undefeated from a major conference is better than a 1 loss. 1 loss had their chances. And those teams lost. If you want to control your destiny you have to win. They didn't play nobody in those years. Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin are typically ranked teams and sometimes highly ranked.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fropwns:

An undefeated from a major conference is better than a 1 loss. 1 loss had their chances. And those teams lost. If you want to control your destiny you have to win. They didn't play nobody in those years. Michigan, Michigan St., Wisconsin are typically ranked teams and sometimes highly ranked.
The big ten has been down for years. Remember the last time "the" Ohio State University played in the national title game? They lost. Hell, the past two times, they lost. Both to SEC schools, Florida and LSU--TWO LOSS LSU AT THAT! Here is my thing, you are not comparing fairly the teams they played. And before you say that it is not their fault who they play. They have the opportunity to schedule tougher out of conference opponents. They choose not to do so. Week in, week out, there is no tougher conference then the SEC. Week in, week out, there is no tougher division then the SEC west.

TOSU schedule:

Buffalo (8-4; 6-2 MAC)
San Diego St (7-4; 6-1 MWC)
Cal (1-11; 0-9 Pac 12) f**kING CAL?!?!?! LULZ
F A&M (3-9; 2-6 MEAC)
#23 Wisc (9-3; 6-2 in the Big Ten)--Your best hope is a team whose Head Coach is at Arkansas?!?! That lost by a touchdown?
#16NW (5-7; 1-7 in the Big Ten) Best thing about NW football is that Mike Greenberg went to school there.
Iowa (8-4; 5-3 Big Ten)
Penn State (7-5; 4-4 in the Big Ten)
Purdue (1-11; 0-8 in the Big Ten)
Illinois (4-8; 1-7 in the Big Ten)
Indiana (5-7; 3-5 in the Big Ten)
Michigan 42-41 (7-5; 3-5 in the Big Ten)

#10 Michigan State TBD The highest ranked team they play does not even crack the top five?

2013 Auburn schedule

WSU (6-6; 4-5 Pac 12)

ASU (7-5; 5-2 Sun Belt)

Miss St (6-6; 3-5 SEC )

#6LSU LOSS (9-3; 5-3 SEC )

#24 Ole Miss (7-5; 3-5 SEC )

W. California (2-10; 1-7 SoCon) I know, right? LULZ

#7 Texas A&M (8-4; 4-4 SEC )

Fla Atlantic (6-6; 4-4 C-USA)

Arkansas (3-9; 0-8 SEC ARGH! )

Tenn (5-7; 2-6 SEC)

#25 Georgia (8-4; 5-3 SEC)

#1 Alabama (11-1; 7-1 SEC and 3 out of 4 Naty titles )

#5 Missouri (TBD)

Look, I am not happy at all that Gus Malzahn may be a game away from playing for the Natty at Auburn, but damnit they earned this trip. And if they win over the number #5 team in the country? You have to give them the nod. Just look at the quality of the schedule. It really is that simple.
[ Edited by fropwns on Dec 1, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
1. Florida State
2. Ohio State
3. Auburn
4. Alabama
5. Missouri
6. Oklahoma State
7. Stanford
8. South Carolina
9. Baylor
10. Michigan State
[ Edited by jrg on Dec 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM ]