There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Actually you couldn't because as I stated, Michigan is a bad (or not a very good) team...tOSU, Bama and Auburn are all good to great football teams depending on ones personal opinion of each.

Auburn is rivalry game. The biggest rivalry in the SEC. They're not as good as Bama but with nothing to lose and everything to gain they win. Bama makes some mistakes and Auburn capitalized. Auburn played their best ball against their biggest rival. They ruined Bama perfect season and get into the SECCG. That's basically the same motivation that Michigan has. How can your point be an excuse for one team but not for the other? I mean Michigan is horrible so in a sense the situation you're using to justify OSU poor performances isn't really applicable. Good teams should beat bad teams even if it's a rivalry. I wont say you're point is wrong because I agree anything can happen in a rivalry game including Bama losing to Auburn because of countless mistake, or OSU defense folding like a paper plate to team that merely calls themselves michigan.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:30 PM ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by eonblue:
Which would further prove my point.

Auburn is rivalry game. The biggest rivalry in the SEC. Auburn is currentlly #4 in the nation. They're not as good as Bama but with nothing to lose and everything to gain they win. Bama makes some mistakes and Auburn capitalized. Auburn played their best ball against their biggest rival. They ruined Bama perfect season and get into the SECCG. That's basically the same motivation that Michigan has. How can your point be an excuse for one team but not for the other? I mean Michigan is horrible so in a sense the situation you're using to justify OSU poor performances isn't really applicable. Good teams should beat bad teams even if it's a rivalry. I wont say you're point is wrong because I agree anything can happen in a rivalry game including Bama losing to Auburn because of countless mistake, or OSU defense folding like a paper plate to team that merely calls themselves michigan.

Auburn had nothing to lose ? Are you kidding ?

How about a win for #4 Auburn over #1 Alabama keeps their own NCG hopes alive...a win means they go to the SEC Championship game and with a win in the SECCG at the very least they go to the Sugar Bowl.
Why would Saban let his struggling kicker even back out there? Should have just gone for the Hail Mary.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Why would Saban let his struggling kicker even back out there? Should have just gone for the Hail Mary.

Different kicker.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

It wasn't the same kicker. And yes he probably should've went for the Hail Mary.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Auburn had nothing to lose ? Are you kidding ?

How about a win for #4 Auburn over #1 Alabama keeps their own NCG hopes alive...a win means they go to the SEC Championship game and with a win in the SECCG at the very least they go to the Sugar Bowl.

Dudes Auburns entire season can be summed up by the phrase "nothing to lose".

The program had like 1 win last season. They doubled their win total after game 2. Nobody expected them to even break .500 this year and that's a fact. They had absolutely 0 expectations from the school and fanbase. at the start of the season. At the end of that game if they lose it's still an incredible season put together by some great kids led by a courageous coach. If they lose the SECCG it's still a season that exceeded everyone's expectations after the second win.

And if Michigan is a rivalry game how can you say they had nothing to lose? A rivalry is never a nothing to lose game and you know that. In fact that may be the most important of the season for the players and the coaches. So yet again how is your excuse applicable to Michigan vs OSU but not Bama vs Auburn? Are you saying because Michigan is really bad that they somehow played better then Auburn in their rivalry game?
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM ]
Mizzou has some ugly looking O-linemen my god!
It wasn't the same kicker. And yes he probably should've went for the Hail Mary.

Dudes Auburns entire season can be summed up by the phrase "nothing to lose".

The program had like 1 win last season. They doubled their win total after game 2. Nobody expected them to even break .500 this year and that's a fact. They had absolutely 0 expectations from the school and fanbase. at the start of the season. At the end of that game if they lose it's still an incredible season put together by some great kids led by a courageous coach. If they lose the SECCG it's still a season that exceeded everyone's expectations after the second win.

And if Michigan is a rivalry game how can you say they had nothing to lose? A rivalry is never a nothing to lose game and you know that. In fact that may be the most important of the season for the players and the coaches. So yet again how is your excuse applicable to Michigan vs OSU but not Bama vs Auburn? Are you saying because Michigan is really bad that they somehow played better then Auburn in their rivalry game?

Since previous records don't really matter in rivalry games, why punish OSU for doing what Alabama could not do which is finish off the "underdog" in a rivalry game?
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Since previous records don't really matter in rivalry games, why punish OSU for doing what Alabama could not do which is finish off the "underdog" in a rivalry game?

You missed the entire point. I'm not punishing OSU. I'm saying OSUs poor performance is not diminished because it was a rivalry game.

You missed the entire point. I'm not punishing OSU. I'm saying OSUs poor performance is not diminished because it was a rivalry game.

I'm pretty sure KRS-1 would agree with you on that. I don't really understand what you are arguing about honestly. You couldn't say the same thing about Auburn-Alabama simply because Alabama (the favorite) didn't win, unlike Ohio St. vs Michigan.
The term, "one of the greatest games of all-time", really does apply to the Alabama-Auburn 2013 Iron Bowl.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
mizzou playing awful ugh
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
So yet again how is your excuse applicable to Michigan vs OSU but not Bama vs Auburn? Are you saying because Michigan is really bad that they somehow played better then Auburn in their rivalry game?

Michigan was a much bigger underdog and Michigan was not the #4 team in the country. At this point in the season, and given that you are ranked top 5 in the nation playing at home the expectations and the belief that Auburn could win was much higher than the expectations and belief in what Michigan could do vs Ohio State.

Despite your failure to admit it, the stakes were much higher for Auburn today.
Stanford with only the second holding penalty of the season. Talk about a disciplined OL.
I'm pretty sure KRS-1 would agree with you on that. I don't really understand what you are arguing about honestly. You couldn't say the same thing about Auburn-Alabama simply because Alabama (the favorite) didn't win, unlike Ohio St. vs Michigan.

So what your saying is the only reason for Alabamas performance is because Auburns better, and the only reason for OSUs performance is because Michigan's is a rivalry game?
  • jrg
  • Veteran

take the lead!