There are 74 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by TheRambler:
FSU isn't likely to lose with their joke of a schedule. Fingers crossed that Bama loses to either Auburn or Mizz Mizzou is more likely since they are exactly the type of offense that tends to pick Alabama to pieces (See: Utah, Texas A&M)

It's not so much the offense as it is the mismatch on the perimeters.

Manziel very much caught Bama by surprise and Bama is rarely caught by surprise. Even a disciplined defense like Bamas will break down when Manziel is.extending plays like he does. Bamas dline wasn't equipped to both contain and rush Manziel. They had a much easier job this year but the CBs had loads of problems matching up with Evans on the.corners.

This has to be a matchup Mizzou feels good about but then again Franklin should make the job easier on everyone. The question is whether or not Bama will be successful at limiting Missouris possessions through the running game.

Needless to say this will probably be a barn burner.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
FSU isn't likely to lose with their joke of a schedule. Fingers crossed that Bama loses to either Auburn or Mizzou. Mizzou is more likely since they are exactly the type of offense that tends to pick Alabama to pieces (See: Utah, Texas A&M)

Nobody wants to see Ohio State on the receiving end of another NCG beatdown. #PrayForBama
Originally posted by KRS-1:
FSU isn't likely to lose with their joke of a schedule. Fingers crossed that Bama loses to either Auburn or Mizzou. Mizzou is more likely since they are exactly the type of offense that tends to pick Alabama to pieces (See: Utah, Texas A&M)

Nobody wants to see Ohio State on the receiving end of another NCG beatdown. #PrayForBama

I Do
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Arkansas is a good team? Sorry man, but they are awful.
I

Hiring Bret Bieletake of a hire. His success at Wisconsin was all due to what Barry Alvarez built and the decline of the Big 10. He isn't doing that great at are recruiting either. On defense losing Chris Smith and maybe Trey Flowers will be a major blow to the defense.

No denying Bielema knows how to build a rushing offense, but you hired him as Head Coach not Offensive Coordinator. I'd put Arkansas's Rush Offense at about 15th nationally (excluded all the teams playing in weak divisions), but you have the 117th ranked passing offense, 72nd pass defense and 86th ranked rush defense, 109th overall offense, 91st in long plays from scrimmage, 92nd in opponents getting long plays from scrimmage from you, and 87th in opponents 3rd down conversions.

So thats great, your team can run the ball a bit but can't pass at all, can't generate any big plays, can't get the opposing offense off the field or defense the rush or pass, and gives up some of the most long plays on D.

FINE! I'LL ADMIT IT!

VTArkansas probably doesn't deserves the NCG but they're my at large.for the Fiesta.

I mean it's almost like you guy were trying misinterpret my comment Arkansas.

4 years ago Rutgers scheduled a tie with a potent Arkansas team led by Petrino. Ofcourse he was fired before the first leg but many of the same pieces were still intact for lack of better word when Rutgers won in Fayetteville and this Rutgers tean also won their home fixture.

Just a couplw of pagea back it was declared if Baylor wanted to be taken seriously theh had to schedule tougher OOC games.

Rutgers scheduled a power conference and at the time Arkansas were successful. I was not trying.to say Arkansas is this suppressed juggernaut. I dont underatand why both of you felt compelled to breakdown Arkansas ' recent form.

Arkansas was a good OOC schedule. They have the hardest schedule in the country and by pointing that out all Im saying is they're not quite as bad as the record indicates.

Ive seen them play so I don't really care how long you spent looking up stats. Stats were never the point. The point was did Fresno St. pick up a strong win against Rutgers.

Mayne. Maybe not. Rutgers beat a team from the best conference in the country. A team that has all the pieces.to beat a scrub team. Yet Rutgers won 2 years in a row and that at least indicates Rutgers is not this joke team Freano St. was supposed to crush.

Whatever though. I could really care less if NIU or Fresno get in.

I dont care what happened 4 years ago. This is about 2013 and whether Arkansas is a quality win for Rutgers. I dont think it is given how bad the Razorbacks are this year. Just like I dont think beating Rutgers by 1 point at home is a quality win for Fresno St when Rutgers has been getting thrashed by good teams.

As for Fresno St or NIU...... like I have said I think its a joke if either of these teams are in a BCS Bowl.

I guess we can agree to disagree on this though.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Arkansas is a good team? Sorry man, but they are awful.
I

Hiring Bret Bieletake of a hire. His success at Wisconsin was all due to what Barry Alvarez built and the decline of the Big 10. He isn't doing that great at are recruiting either. On defense losing Chris Smith and maybe Trey Flowers will be a major blow to the defense.

No denying Bielema knows how to build a rushing offense, but you hired him as Head Coach not Offensive Coordinator. I'd put Arkansas's Rush Offense at about 15th nationally (excluded all the teams playing in weak divisions), but you have the 117th ranked passing offense, 72nd pass defense and 86th ranked rush defense, 109th overall offense, 91st in long plays from scrimmage, 92nd in opponents getting long plays from scrimmage from you, and 87th in opponents 3rd down conversions.

So thats great, your team can run the ball a bit but can't pass at all, can't generate any big plays, can't get the opposing offense off the field or defense the rush or pass, and gives up some of the most long plays on D.

FINE! I'LL ADMIT IT!

VTArkansas probably doesn't deserves the NCG but they're my at large.for the Fiesta.

I mean it's almost like you guy were trying misinterpret my comment Arkansas.

4 years ago Rutgers scheduled a tie with a potent Arkansas team led by Petrino. Ofcourse he was fired before the first leg but many of the same pieces were still intact for lack of better word when Rutgers won in Fayetteville and this Rutgers tean also won their home fixture.

Just a couplw of pagea back it was declared if Baylor wanted to be taken seriously theh had to schedule tougher OOC games.

Rutgers scheduled a power conference and at the time Arkansas were successful. I was not trying.to say Arkansas is this suppressed juggernaut. I dont underatand why both of you felt compelled to breakdown Arkansas ' recent form.

Arkansas was a good OOC schedule. They have the hardest schedule in the country and by pointing that out all Im saying is they're not quite as bad as the record indicates.

Ive seen them play so I don't really care how long you spent looking up stats. Stats were never the point. The point was did Fresno St. pick up a strong win against Rutgers.

Mayne. Maybe not. Rutgers beat a team from the best conference in the country. A team that has all the pieces.to beat a scrub team. Yet Rutgers won 2 years in a row and that at least indicates Rutgers is not this joke team Freano St. was supposed to crush.

Whatever though. I could really care less if NIU or Fresno get in.

As for Fresno St or NIU...... like I have said I think its a joke if either of these teams are in a BCS Bowl.

STRONGLY DISAGREE SIR!!!!

We wouldn't want a repeat of Notre Dame last year, AMIRITE?
[ Edited by TheRambler on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM ]
So what happens if Winston is charged? I assume FSU wouldn't play him if so. And a FSU - Winston is not the same team. So do they still get into National Championship?
[ Edited by SportsFan on Nov 27, 2013 at 8:10 AM ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
We wouldn't want a repeat of Notre Dame last year, AMIRITE?

Well IMHO that's what an Ohio State vs Alabama matchup would end up being...Notre Dame looked like they had a chance to be a Cinderella story, however the result turned out that we were over matched and the better team won.
I think FSU has a policy where they don't start a player that is being prosecuted for a felony. Personally I don't think you punish an FSU team full of veterans that have earned the #2 spot. To be honest Jamies Winston has been the X-factor but that team is composed of a veteran Oline, vet WRs, and a vet defense. It would be foolish to think Winston is the only reason FSU is in this position. FSU's defense has absolutely smothered the weak competition in the ACC. FSU's biggest win(Clemson) was a product of lights out defense. That Oline is filled with future draft picks and veterans. I'm not saying Winston is expendable but considering the situation it might be best to consider him that way,
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM ]
Well IMHO that's what an Ohio State vs Alabama matchup would end up being...Notre Dame looked like they had a chance to be a Cinderella story, however the result turned out that we were over matched and the better team won.

I think Ohio St. would be a better matchup than ND was. No offense but Ohio St. has a much better QB and RB. Obviously the Oline entered the draft so whoever plays Bama will face a realistic challenge compared to last year.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
I think Ohio St. would be a better matchup than ND was. No offense but Ohio St. has a much better QB and RB. Obviously the Oline entered the draft so whoever plays Bama will face a realistic challenge compared to last year.

Not denying they are a more complete team than we were and that they matchup better than we did, but don't see them being able to compete with Bama either. Florida State will be much more competitive for Bama.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
I love the Hogs, but we've been goddamn awful for two straight seasons. We will be back.
Originally posted by fropwns:
I love the Hogs, but we've been goddamn awful for two straight seasons. We will be back.

It will all come together, man. People have absolutely zero to ground to pass judgement on Bielema because unless you're familiar with the inner working of the program you don't have an accurate picture of what he was looking at preseason. Petrino was the brain of the program. Kill the head and the body will die.

What you're seeing in Fayetteville is a complete philosophical overhaul. A change from a Qb driven spread to OL/TE power running. The styles could not be anymore polarized, and Bielema is working with a lot of pieces that don't fit. He has a 4-5 4* OL already on the roster. He's recruited 2 4* star OL, 1 5* TE, 2 3* TE, 1 5* RB. This year already showed glimpses of a very potent rushing attack in the Collins/Williams tandem, and this is only the start.

This years class is filled with tall and strong DBs for his zone coverages, and he signed the #8 QB in the country last month. Bielema is a great talent developer and the SEC will give him the best talent he has ever worked with in abundance. Arkansas will give him the money to hire the OCs and DCs he needs to install the systems he wants.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but any person that looked at Arkansas' SEC schedule, and said definitively they had at least 2 wins was delusional. Their schedule is absolutely ridiculous. I mean most people don't realize how hard it is for a mid-low level program in the SEC. You say top to bottom the SEC is the best in the country and everyone gets defensive thinking you're calling their team out. hat's not what it means at all though. Over the last 5 years the conference has picked up at least 1/3 of ESPN's top 300. Right now the conference has 3 teams in the top 5. It has the highest average coaches salary in the country. I'm not a defeatist but I really don't know what people expected out of this program in Bielemas first year.

I will admit I thought they would beat Miss St. but on the bright side I wasn't surprised in the way they lost. The secondary has been weakest link and they started giving up really big throws in the 2nd half. It's unfortunate but the loss/win amounted to nothing in the grand scheme. The future is what's important and I think next year the Hogs are a 6-6 team but they're going to compete. They'll pick up a good win against team everyone picked against them. Even next year is just another stepping stone but the year after next is when I think everything will come together.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fropwns:

It will all come together, man. People have absolutely zero to ground to pass judgement on Bielema because unless you're familiar with the inner working of the program you don't have an accurate picture of what he was looking at preseason. Petrino was the brain of the program. Kill the head and the body will die.

What you're seeing in Fayetteville is a complete philosophical overhaul. A change from a Qb driven spread to OL/TE power running. The styles could not be anymore polarized, and Bielema is working with a lot of pieces that don't fit. He has a 4-5 4* OL already on the roster. He's recruited 2 4* star OL, 1 5* TE, 2 3* TE, 1 5* RB. This year already showed glimpses of a very potent rushing attack in the Collins/Williams tandem, and this is only the start.

This years class is filled with tall and strong DBs for his zone coverages, and he signed the #8 QB in the country last month. Bielema is a great talent developer and the SEC will give him the best talent he has ever worked with in abundance. Arkansas will give him the money to hire the OCs and DCs he needs to install the systems he wants.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but any person that looked at Arkansas' SEC schedule, and said definitively they had at least 2 wins was delusional. Their schedule is absolutely ridiculous. I will admit I thought they would beat Miss St. but on the bright side I wasn't surprised in the way they lost. The secondary has been weakest link and they started giving up really big throws in the 2nd half.

It's unfortunate but the loss/win amounted to nothing. The future is what's important and I think next year the Hogs are a 6-6 team but they're going to compete. They'll pick up a good win against team everyone picked against them. Even next year is just another stepping stone but the year after next is when I think everything will come together.

My dog!

I am going to make a total homer call......

We beat LSU on Black Friday!

[ Edited by fropwns on Nov 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM ]
That's a pretty cool trophy. Love that the games Friday. I don't have to wait till saturday for SEC ball.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 27, 2013 at 10:41 PM ]