There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by eonblue:
You think? Beating Rutgers by 1 point in overtime at home doesnt impress me that much. Espeically when you see that Rutgers lost to Cincinnati 52-17, Houston 49-14, and UCF 41-17. Obviously when they have played a pretty good team they have gotten demolished.

Rutgers beat Arkansas. Some you seem incredibly critical on OOC wins and thata one feom.the SEC so.

LOL Arkansas that is 0-7 in the SEC and has lost 8 in a row? Oh.. and losing those games in the SEC by an average of 24 pts per game. OK.. you win.

OK, fine, you've made your point. But where and how does NIU suddenly jump four spots? Didn't they have the same strength of schedule that they had the week before? What suddenly changed? Can anyone answer that?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
You think? Beating Rutgers by 1 point in overtime at home doesnt impress me that much. Espeically when you see that Rutgers lost to Cincinnati 52-17, Houston 49-14, and UCF 41-17. Obviously when they have played a pretty good team they have gotten demolished.

Rutgers beat Arkansas. Some you seem incredibly critical on OOC wins and thata one feom.the SEC so.

LOL Arkansas that is 0-7 in the SEC and has lost 8 in a row? Oh.. and losing those games in the SEC by an average of 24 pts per game. OK.. you win.

OK, fine, you've made your point. But where and how does NIU suddenly jump four spots? Didn't they have the same strength of schedule that they had the week before? What suddenly changed? Can anyone answer that?

That's what I want to know. Everybody knows Fresno's schedule is a joke but how does NIU just make a random jump that far?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

That's what I want to know. Everybody knows Fresno's schedule is a joke but how does NIU just make a random jump that far?

I agree with this. I think Fresno St is a nice story but in no way should they be in a BCS bowl game. Thats my only point.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
They were? I thought we were ahead. You mean I wuz wrong?

Edit: No KRS, you're wrong. Check your stats. NIU was NOT above Fresno State last week. They jumped four slots this week and passed us.

FOR NO GODDAMNED REASON!

As I already stated....NIU has been ranked above Fresno in the computer rankings since the BCS standings came out. The BCS standings are a combination of human polls and computer rankings...those computers like NIU better than Fresno, and NIU made a huge leap in the computer polls this week while Fresno actually dropped a spot.

Do you even BCS bro ?
[ Edited by KRS-1 on Nov 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:
They were? I thought we were ahead. You mean I wuz wrong?

Edit: No KRS, you're wrong. Check your stats. NIU was NOT above Fresno State last week. They jumped four slots this week and passed us.

FOR NO GODDAMNED REASON!

As I already stated....NIU has been ranked above Fresno in the computer rankings since the BCS standings came out. The BCS standings are a combination of human polls and computer rankings...those computers like NIU better than Fresno, and NIU made a huge leap in the computer polls this week while Fresno actually dropped a spot.

Do you even BCS bro ?

OK KRS -- in answer to your question -- do I BCS? The answer is no. But a challenge is a challenge.

BCS computer rankings are based upon six computer rankings. Some of these rankings allow you to click back, week by week, but at least four of them do not. Sagarin ratings are impossible to find.

But this is what I found:

Jeff Sagarin: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin.htm
Week: 12 Anderson and Hester: http://andersonsports.com/football/ACF_n173.html
Richard Billingsley: http://www.cfrc.com/
Week 11: Colley Matrix: http://www.colleyrankings.com/foot2013/rankings/rank11.html
Massey Ratings: http://www.masseyratings.com/
Dr. Peter Wolfe: http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/home.htm

Note the Anderson and Hester and the Colley Matrix rankings. These are the only two that offer week by week glimpses of where each team is ranked based upon each computer model. Note that in Week 12, the Fresno State Bulldogs were ranked ABOVE NIU, and in the Colley Matrix rankings, the Bulldogs were slotted five spots HIGHER than NIU in Week 11.

Yet, by week 13, both of those models flipped and put NIU in front of Fresno State. WHY?

Schedules for both teams are comparable. They're not playing ANYONE of note. Yet, somehow, in the past two weeks, the rankings have turned against Fresno State with no explanation as to why.

This is why fans HATE the BCS. With a passion. Fresno State gets a shot at glory once a decade, only to get screwed out of the deal by the whim of a computer ranking, with no explanation as to how or why that computer ranking suddenly changed.

You're wrong in your assumption that these computer models had NIU in front of Fresno State "from the beginning." At least two of them did not.
[ Edited by billbird2111 on Nov 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
You're wrong in your assumption that these computer models had NIU in front of Fresno State "from the beginning." At least two of them did not.

The average of the six computers rankings has had NIU infront of Fresno since week 9.

Have you even seen a Arkansas game? I mean its really easly to scoff at a team when the extent of your knowledge is a google search.

Arkansas has the hardest schedule in the county. They played TAMU, Florida, South Carolina, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St., and next weekend LSU.

There's not a team in the country that doesn't pick up 2 losses with that schedule.

So yea they're 0-7 but they have one of the best power running games in the country. They have a great dline. Arkansas is a decent team and decent OOC win.

Have you even seen a Arkansas game? I mean its really easly to scoff at a team when the extent of your knowledge is a google search.

Arkansas has the hardest schedule in the county. They played TAMU, Florida, South Carolina, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St., and next weekend LSU.

There's not a team in the country that doesn't pick up 2 losses with that schedule.

So yea they're 0-7 but they have one of the best power running games in the country. They have a great dline. Arkansas is a decent team and decent OOC win.

LOL Yes I have seen them on TV. Have you been to Arkansas to watch them play of something? Here is reality for you. They havent won ONE game in the SEC and are getting smoked by 24 per game. Beating them is nothing to get giddy about. And.. beating Rutgers by one point at home isnt either.
LOL Yes I have seen them on TV. Have you been to Arkansas to watch them play of something? Here is reality for you. They havent won ONE game in the SEC and are getting smoked by 24 per game. Beating them is nothing to get giddy about. And.. beating Rutgers by one point at home isnt either.

Sure you have. And yes I have seen Arkansas in person. Twice. Lol. I pay close attention to all SEC rosters, monitor.recruiting, and watch most their games.

So I'm not saying Rutgers slayed a giant but Arkansas is a fully functional team on both sides of the ball. They have an exceptional power running game that could.easily swallow the.clock against a scrub team.

So whatever 0-7 but Rutgers had to win that game. Arkansas didn't just rollover.like you're trying.illustrate. Btw I watched the game and it was a good win.

Anyways I haven't even seen Fresno St. but I have seen NIU once. Jordan Lynch is the lynchpin(harhar) and he's very exciting to watch. I don't want to.see him in a bowl game tho. I guess it would be good scout tape tho.

Sure you have. And yes I have seen Arkansas in person. Twice. Lol. I pay close attention to all SEC rosters, monitor.recruiting, and watch most their games.

So I'm not saying Rutgers slayed a giant but Arkansas is a fully functional team on both sides of the ball. They have an exceptional power running game that could.easily swallow the.clock against a scrub team.

So whatever 0-7 but Rutgers had to win that game. Arkansas didn't just rollover.like you're trying.illustrate. Btw I watched the game and it was a good win.

Anyways I haven't even seen Fresno St. but I have seen NIU once. Jordan Lynch is the lynchpin(harhar) and he's very exciting to watch. I don't want to.see him in a bowl game tho. I guess it would be good scout tape tho.

for what running back?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
for what running back?

Good point.

LOL. OK You are right. Arkansas might be 0-7 in the SEC and have lost 8 in a row but they are a quality FB team. I stand corrected. Maybe they can get a bowl invitation and just say that they cant win a game because of their schedule.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Nov 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM ]
Arkansas is a good team? Sorry man, but they are awful.

Hiring Bret Bielema was a mistake of a hire. His success at Wisconsin was all due to what Barry Alvarez built and the decline of the Big 10. He isn't doing that great at are recruiting either. On defense losing Chris Smith and maybe Trey Flowers will be a major blow to the defense.

No denying Bielema knows how to build a rushing offense, but you hired him as Head Coach not Offensive Coordinator. I'd put Arkansas's Rush Offense at about 15th nationally (excluded all the teams playing in weak divisions), but you have the 117th ranked passing offense, 72nd pass defense and 86th ranked rush defense, 109th overall offense, 91st in long plays from scrimmage, 92nd in opponents getting long plays from scrimmage from you, and 87th in opponents 3rd down conversions.

So thats great, your team can run the ball a bit but can't pass at all, can't generate any big plays, can't get the opposing offense off the field or defense the rush or pass, and gives up some of the most long plays on D.
FSU isn't likely to lose with their joke of a schedule. Fingers crossed that Bama loses to either Auburn or Mizzou. Mizzou is more likely since they are exactly the type of offense that tends to pick Alabama to pieces (See: Utah, Texas A&M)
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Arkansas is a good team? Sorry man, but they are awful.
I

Hiring Bret Bieletake of a hire. His success at Wisconsin was all due to what Barry Alvarez built and the decline of the Big 10. He isn't doing that great at are recruiting either. On defense losing Chris Smith and maybe Trey Flowers will be a major blow to the defense.

No denying Bielema knows how to build a rushing offense, but you hired him as Head Coach not Offensive Coordinator. I'd put Arkansas's Rush Offense at about 15th nationally (excluded all the teams playing in weak divisions), but you have the 117th ranked passing offense, 72nd pass defense and 86th ranked rush defense, 109th overall offense, 91st in long plays from scrimmage, 92nd in opponents getting long plays from scrimmage from you, and 87th in opponents 3rd down conversions.

So thats great, your team can run the ball a bit but can't pass at all, can't generate any big plays, can't get the opposing offense off the field or defense the rush or pass, and gives up some of the most long plays on D.

FINE! I'LL ADMIT IT!

VTArkansas probably doesn't deserves the NCG but they're my at large.for the Fiesta.

I mean it's almost like you guy were trying misinterpret my comment Arkansas.

4 years ago Rutgers scheduled a tie with a potent Arkansas team led by Petrino. Ofcourse he was fired before the first leg but many of the same pieces were still intact for lack of better word when Rutgers won in Fayetteville and this Rutgers tean also won their home fixture.

Just a couplw of pagea back it was declared if Baylor wanted to be taken seriously theh had to schedule tougher OOC games.

Rutgers scheduled a power conference and at the time Arkansas were successful. I was not trying.to say Arkansas is this suppressed juggernaut. I dont underatand why both of you felt compelled to breakdown Arkansas ' recent form.

Arkansas was a good OOC schedule. They have the hardest schedule in the country and by pointing that out all Im saying is they're not quite as bad as the record indicates.

Ive seen them play so I don't really care how long you spent looking up stats. Stats were never the point. The point was did Fresno St. pick up a strong win against Rutgers.

Mayne. Maybe not. Rutgers beat a team from the best conference in the country. A team that has all the pieces.to beat a scrub team. Yet Rutgers won 2 years in a row and that at least indicates Rutgers is not this joke team Freano St. was supposed to crush.

Whatever though. I could really care less if NIU or Fresno get in.