There are 202 users in the forums

2013 College Football Thread!

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Anti Pac-12 bias rears its head again in the polls...Stanford should've never dropped so far after the a close loss at Utah, although they did make a nice jump in the initial BCS rankings. And how are OSU and ASU not ranked in the AP?

Its pretty ridiculous.

If you look at the coaches poll, the Big 10 and Big 12 are being over rated.

I don't get how the Big 10 is ALWAYS over rated, its unbelievable.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Is Mizzou legit without Franklin? With Franklin?
[ Edited by jrg on Oct 20, 2013 at 10:26 PM ]
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Its pretty ridiculous.

LOL no. Big 10 gets shat on more than any other conference.
And ASU shouldn't be ranked. The Wisconsin game should count as a loss.
Originally posted by jrg:
Is Mizzou legit without Franklin? With Franklin?

Two things I noticed about Mizzou.

The front. They're creating pressure with 4 which is crucial. Sam and Ealy are beats. It's going to help them establish a lead and keep them there.

I think the LB's are suspect. Especially in the run game. Ole Miss and A&M are going to rock their world because you can't make mistake when these offenses are in 4wr sets.

The WR core. This answers your question. Yes, they're legit without Franklin, with Franklin, or with 5yr old/ Hunt, Beckham, and Washinton make up one the most physical imposing WR group I've ever seen. You can't man them. They sift through the zones using their size and great hands to make catches most college guys can not.

Mauk looked good. In fact I was impressed in his ability to rebound through the interception and obviously the first drive. He's only going to get better because he has the best targets possible. That will elevate his play.

If you take away one or both of these strengths you have a problem though. They're the base of what makes Mizzou function. It scores points and keeps the opponent out of the end zone. Sounds simple but I guarantee South Carolina, Ole Miss, and A&M are all game planning these exact things.

Just a quick run down because I'm bored.

I think your possible losses are South Carolina, Ole Miss, and A&M.

All 3 can spread it out.

South Carolina has one the best backs in the country, and they have a dual threat QB. They will try to eat the clock. Limit the offenses possessions. Connor Shaw is not Tyler Murphy. He knows how to run South Caro's offense. It's cliche but Missouri has to stop the run, and let their offense win the game. Oh BTW you're playing against the best player in the country, and he looked really good against Tenn. This team knows they have to hand you a loss or they literally have no way of making it to the CCS.

Ole Miss also has a sound running game but they're WR's are explosive. Treadwill and Moncrief can deliver a home run punch at any time. Their defense is seasoned. They returned alot of starters on both sides of the ball. They know what to do and they do it well. You're playing them in their house and that place is off the chain for Ole Miss football. It's going to be a road test after some tough wins agains Georgia, Florida, and possibly South Carolina. You know how that can play out.

Texan A&M is the best spread offense in the country. They have a stable of 4* and 5* RB. One of the best Oline in the country. They have about 5-7 WR's that could start on any team rotating in and out. Wearing secondaries out. Mike Evans is an absolutely mauler. And to top it all off they have the nemesis of all things right and true in college football, Johnny Manziel. He may be injured though. Not trying to be offensive but you're defense can't handle that offense. It's a machine. Auburn was able to win by scoring on almost every play, and rotating 7-9 DLinemen that could all keep pressure, and contain Manziel. That's the key you have pressure him but the Dline has to rush as a unit. You can't get out of your gap or Manziel will punish you. They're defense is the achilles heel though. If your offense can mix in some running with the passing attack while the defense gets a couple of key stops you they can win it.

Needless to say I'm interested to see if Missouri can really pull it off. Ultimately, the road to the championship game is through Alabama. Not very many teams have have found much like down that road. They're rollin.
Its pretty ridiculous.

I don't get it either. Honestly at this point in college football I can't take any ACC or Big 10 school serious in the rankings.

I'm not trying to piss people off but I think Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, and Wisconsin have very weak schedules. They're easy wins are some of the weakest teams in the country, and even then Iowas and Purdues give them a run for the money. You can't have an off day in the SEC or PAC 12 because you lose. Look at Stanford. The only signature wins that conference has against itself and I'm just not convinced those teams are top to bottom worth a top 10 ranking or certainly not a top 5 but alas Ohio St. is undefeated, and we have to be fair. Right?

I feel the same way about the ACC. FSU has had a joke of schedule. They're bottom teams in the conference are some of the worse in the country. If they think Miami, Florida, and Clemson are going to be signature wins they're mistaken. Florida is a broken team. Miami barely made it out of North Carolina. Vtech and FSU are going to put them on blast. Clemson is alright. I think the hype train got rolling because they snuck won by Georgia.If Oregon goes undefeated there's no chance they don't go to the game.

The Big 10 is actually legit. That conference will eat itself alive soon. Much like the SEC did last week. And only because it's so strong from top to bottom.

Honestly I think the only conferences that really pose a challenges at the bottom of the schedule are the PAC 12 and SEC. That's the test of a true team. And they're signature wins are against teams that actually function well as a unit. No Dr Jeckyl Mr Hyde stuff.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Its pretty ridiculous.

I don't get it either. Honestly at this point in college football I can't take any ACC or Big 10 school serious in the rankings.

I'm not trying to piss people off but I think Michigan, Michigan St, Nebraska, Ohio St, and Wisconsin have very weak schedules. They're easy wins are some of the weakest teams in the country, and even then Iowas and Purdues give them a run for the money. You can't have an off day in the SEC or PAC 12 because you lose. Look at Stanford. The only signature wins that conference has against itself and I'm just not convinced those teams are top to bottom worth a top 10 ranking or certainly not a top 5 but alas Ohio St. is undefeated, and we have to be fair. Right?

I feel the same way about the ACC. FSU has had a joke of schedule. They're bottom teams in the conference are some of the worse in the country. If they think Miami, Florida, and Clemson are going to be signature wins they're mistaken. Florida is a broken team. Miami barely made it out of North Carolina. Vtech and FSU are going to put them on blast. Clemson is alright. I think the hype train got rolling because they snuck won by Georgia.If Oregon goes undefeated there's no chance they don't go to the game.

The Big 10 is actually legit. That conference will eat itself alive soon. Much like the SEC did last week. And only because it's so strong from top to bottom.

Honestly I think the only conferences that really pose a challenges at the bottom of the schedule are the PAC 12 and SEC. That's the test of a true team. And they're signature wins are against teams that actually function well as a unit. No Dr Jeckyl Mr Hyde stuff.

That's exactly why I'm not worried. We have UCLA, Stanford, ASU and possibly UCLA again left on our schedule. I feel like we control our own destiny.
Originally posted by TheRambler:

Perfect logic, guess poll voters need to review every close play in every game to see if the team on which they're voting caught a break. ASU is 5-2 (3-1), 1st place in the South division of the second-toughest conference in college football, and absolutely should be ranked. If they played in a conference east of the Mississippi River they'd be #20 at worst.

ASU isn't ranked . And typical Big 10 logic, count a loss as a win! See, now the Big 10 doesn't really suck in BCS bowls anymore!

Its pretty ridiculous.

The differences in Coaches Poll vs. AP Poll:
Coaches Rank Higher
-Coaches rank Oklahoma St 6 spots higher (Big 12)
-Coaches rank Oklahoma 5 spots higher (Big 12)
-Coaches rank Nebraska 4 spots higher (Big 10)
-Coaches rank Louisville 2 spots higher
Coaches Rank Lower
-Coaches rank Auburn 6 spots lower (SEC)
-Coaches rank UCF 4 spots lower (Big East/American Athletic)
-Coaches rank Fresno St 3 spots lower (WAC)
-Coaches rank Virginia Tech 3 spots lower (ACC)
-Coaches rank Mizzou 2 spots lower
-Coaches rank Wisconsin 2 spots lower

Really the glaring difference is the Oklahoma schools. Its also surprising Auburn is ranked so low by coaches.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM ]
Fresno State 15th in the AP Poll....And finally back on the tube again this weekend and possibly every weekend after that.

It's tough to move up in the rankings if you don't play anyone worth watching and you can't see them on TV. The last three or four games have not been televised anywhere other than locally.

With the exception of one game, we have a creampuff schedule the rest of the way. While it will probably lead to an undefeated season, it doesn't help us in the eyes of coaches and sportswriters who vote in these polls...

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Fresno State 15th in the AP Poll....And finally back on the tube again this weekend and possibly every weekend after that.

It's tough to move up in the rankings if you don't play anyone worth watching and you can't see them on TV. The last three or four games have not been televised anywhere other than locally.

With the exception of one game, we have a creampuff schedule the rest of the way. While it will probably lead to an undefeated season, it doesn't help us in the eyes of coaches and sportswriters who vote in these polls...

I had an uncle who lived in Fresno and I spent a lot of time there, so I've always liked the Bulldogs going back to early-80s, even pre-Kevin Sweeney. It was fun seeing Pat Hill put them on the map, they would play anyone, anywhere, plus he set up kids to also succeed in the classroom.

Anyway, I think it's awesome they're getting some run in the polls, #17 in the BCS. But of course they're in a mid-major conference AND on the west coast, so even if they finish up undefeated don't see them moving up more than a couple spots. So unless some miracle happens, they're not going to a BCS bowl and will play a Pac-12 team in the Las Vegas Bowl.

I had an uncle who lived in Fresno and I spent a lot of time there, so I've always liked the Bulldogs going back to early-80s, even pre-Kevin Sweeney. It was fun seeing Pat Hill put them on the map, they would play anyone, anywhere, plus he set up kids to also succeed in the classroom.

Anyway, I think it's awesome they're getting some run in the polls, #17 in the BCS. But of course they're in a mid-major conference AND on the west coast, so even if they finish up undefeated don't see them moving up more than a couple spots. So unless some miracle happens, they're not going to a BCS bowl and will play a Pac-12 team in the Las Vegas Bowl.

They need to end up in the top 12 for that to happen
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

They need to end up in the top 12 for that to happen

I would agree that it's going to take a major meltdown in the Top 10 for Fresno State to move up that far. A lot of teams will have to lose games they were not expecting to lose.

ASU isn't ranked . And typical Big 10 logic, count a loss as a win! See, now the Big 10 doesn't really suck in BCS bowls anymore!

Its pretty ridiculous.

The differences in Coaches Poll vs. AP Poll:
Coaches Rank Higher
-Coaches rank Oklahoma St 6 spots higher (Big 12)
-Coaches rank Oklahoma 5 spots higher (Big 12)
-Coaches rank Nebraska 4 spots higher (Big 10)
-Coaches rank Louisville 2 spots higher
Coaches Rank Lower
-Coaches rank Auburn 6 spots lower (SEC)
-Coaches rank UCF 4 spots lower (Big East/American Athletic)
-Coaches rank Fresno St 3 spots lower (WAC)
-Coaches rank Virginia Tech 3 spots lower (ACC)
-Coaches rank Mizzou 2 spots lower
-Coaches rank Wisconsin 2 spots lower

Really the glaring difference is the Oklahoma schools. Its also surprising Auburn is ranked so low by coaches.

The sucking in BCS bowls logic was overblown by bad teams winning the conference and playing elite USC teams. Ohio State, the main whipping boy for that, actually has one it's last 2 BCS bowls (against Oregon and Arkansas).

That said, I don't know how anyone can say the Big Ten is overrated. Nobody thinks the conference is good. Not even Big Ten fans like myself. I will say OSU solidly deserves it's #4 ranking though. They are undefeated and have won 19 straight games. Boise State in the same situation was ranked similarly a few years back.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Mizzou beat South Carolina tonight?
Share 49ersWebzone