LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

The Official 2013-14 Golden State Warriors Thread

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kronik:
LOL elite my ass. A PF that can't defend is not elite. Unlike football, your defensive game is %50 of your overall game. I guess we will see Deandre Jordan and Blake Griffin dunking on us next year and beyond.
RAPM rates Kevin Love's defense to be on par with Blake Griffin (1.7) and Pau Gasol (1.4). Not world-beating by any stretch (especially for a big), but he's well into the positive range (1.3), while David Lee is at .1. Moreover, Synergy rates Kevin Love as an excellent post defender. He only gives up .72 points per possession in post-up situations on 39% shooting, which is top tier. Beyond that, he only commits shooting fouls on 2.1% of those post possessions, and forces turnovers 12.5% of the time.In comparison, David Lee surrenders .88 PPP in post-ups on 42% shooting, commits a shooting foul on 10% of those possessions, and only forces turnovers 7.2% of the time.For reference: Dwight Howard (.74 PPP), Tim Duncan (.80), Marc Gasol (.79).Kevin Love obviously doesn't have the overall, rotational presence that those three do, but he's far from the disaster that David Lee is, and can more than hold his own during the most frequent types of defensive possessions a power forward faces.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Lee, Barnes and Cash

Make it happen Meyers!
Originally posted by Hopper:
LOL elite my ass. A PF that can't defend is not elite. Unlike football, your defensive game is %50 of your overall game. I guess we will see Deandre Jordan and Blake Griffin dunking on us next year and beyond.
RAPM rates Kevin Love's defense to be on par with Blake Griffin (1.7) and Pau Gasol (1.4). Not world-beating by any stretch (especially for a big), but he's well into the positive range (1.3), while David Lee is at .1. Moreover, Synergy rates Kevin Love as an excellent post defender. He only gives up .72 points per possession in post-up situations on 39% shooting, which is top tier. Beyond that, he only commits shooting fouls on 2.1% of those post possessions, and forces turnovers 12.5% of the time.In comparison, David Lee surrenders .88 PPP in post-ups on 42% shooting, commits a shooting foul on 10% of those possessions, and only forces turnovers 7.2% of the time.For reference: Dwight Howard (.74 PPP), Tim Duncan (.80), Marc Gasol (.79).Kevin Love obviously doesn't have the overall, rotational presence that those three do, but he's far from the disaster that David Lee is, and can more than hold his own during the most frequent types of defensive possessions a power forward faces.

Don't care what the "stats" say. Does anyone in the NBA fear him while driving into the lane? He can't even jump over his own basketball card laying flat on the ground. Man, it's been decades since the W's had an athletic power forward. But our organization seems to believe we should get less athletic at that position every chance we get.

Don't care what the "stats" say. Does anyone in the NBA fear him while driving into the lane? He can't even jump over his own basketball card laying flat on the ground. Man, it's been decades since the W's had an athletic power forward. But our organization seems to believe we should get less athletic at that position every chance we get.
check his game stats against the other top PFs in the game. He usually s**ts on them more than they get over. Dude is a beast
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on May 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

So basically you have nothing when the analytics prove your argument wrong.

BTW it hasn't been decades since the warriors had an athletic PF. They drafted Anthony Randolph&Brandan Wright with lottery picks who both had plenty of athleticism. Neither were as skilled as Love or had his high basketball IQ.
[ Edited by Hopper on May 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM ]

So basically you have nothing when the analytics prove your argument wrong.

BTW it hasn't been decades since the warriors had an athletic PF. They drafted Anthony Randolph&Brandan Wright with lottery picks who both had plenty of athleticism. Neither were as skilled as Love or had his high basketball IQ.

No one is debating that Love is better than David Lee. However, you seem to to be in the minority when it comes to being willing to include Klay in a deal for Love. I seriously doubt the Warriors would make that move.
I really don't want to see Klay go
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Me neither. But if given the choice between having Kevin Love or Klay Thompson, it's really a no brainer. Especially when you factor in consistency and Love is a consistent 20-12 threat.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Me neither. But if given the choice between having Kevin Love or Klay Thompson, it's really a no brainer. Especially when you factor in consistency and Love is a consistent 20-12 threat.

Thompson still does have those off nights, sometimes in stretches, but he's still young and expanding his game far beyond just being a jump shooter. Plus, and I think it's a BIG 'plus', he's on his way to becoming an elite, All-NBA type defender. To me that takes far out of the realm of "no brainer".

I think its a no brainer to NOT deal Klay in any trade for Kevin Love. Lee and Klay >>>> Love and some scrub 2 guard.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I think its a no brainer to NOT deal Klay in any trade for Kevin Love. Lee and Klay >>>> Love and some scrub 2 guard.

You're basically calling Iggy a scrub considering he would slide over to SG. Kevin Love is a top 10 player in this league. Any way you slice it he's a much more valuable asset than Lee or Klay.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

You're basically calling Iggy a scrub considering he would slide over to SG. Kevin Love is a top 10 player in this league. Any way you slice it he's a much more valuable asset than Lee or Klay.

uh, a lot of people got on Iggy this season for his performance and if you gave people the option of deciding between Klay and Iggy or Iggy and Love, I am not sure how clear it would be
Kevin Love so overrated among Warrior fans. they see a PF that can shoot the 3-ball and automatically, he's considered "elite"
Just get Ekpe Udoh back.
Share 49ersWebzone