There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Official 2013-14 Golden State Warriors Thread

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Wish I could, but he's a complete unknown from a coaching standpoint...which to be fair, so was Jackson. And I think Jackson turned out to be a pretty good one, so I hope Kerr is even better.

Right, but why all the hype? Was it Phil Jackson who started it? " well if Phil wanted him he must be good?"

Phil wanted someone that knew his system that he could coach with/through. That's what leaves me skeptical about all this "hype"
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Wish I could, but he's a complete unknown from a coaching standpoint...which to be fair, so was Jackson. And I think Jackson turned out to be a pretty good one, so I hope Kerr is even better.

Right, but why all the hype? Was it Phil Jackson who started it? " well if Phil wanted him he must be good?"

Phil wanted someone that knew his system that he could coach with/through. That's what leaves me skeptical about all this "hype"

Sounds like a puppet to me.

In Lacobs view maybe he wants a guy who has the potential to be a successful innovative HC, but also someone who will take orders or at least not give him any pushback. I'd hate to have Lacob or his kid coaching this team from behind the scenes.

In Lacobs view maybe he wants a guy who has the potential to be a successful innovative HC, but also someone who will take orders or at least not give him any pushback. I'd hate to have Lacob or his kid coaching this team from behind the scenes.

Even though Jackson downplayed it, do believe something big went down between him and Kirk Lacob...and all I can wonder about is what Mark Jackson--an all-time great at St John's, one the best point guards in NBA history, winning head coach--must've said when some "kid" whose greatest qualification is winning the genetic lottery told him what needed to be done out on the court. Of course I don't know if they really had it out and if they did, what it was about...but that's my working theory.

Even though Jackson downplayed it, do believe something big went down between him and Kirk Lacob...and all I can wonder about is what Mark Jackson--an all-time great at St John's, one the best point guards in NBA history, winning head coach--must've said when some "kid" whose greatest qualification is winning the genetic lottery told him what needed to be done out on the court. Of course I don't know if they really had it out and if they did, what it was about...but that's my working theory.

As good or better theory as any IMO.

this is a total different situation except for the part where PJ was unknown as a head coach. that's about as far as the comparison can be had. for those whom are forgetting/didn't know, PJ was a assistant under Doug Collins with the Chi Bulls. Therefore, he had some understanding of what it's like to be involved with coaching. After DC was let go PJ walked into the Chi Bulls locker room in the '91 season to a starting 5 which just needed that push to get over the bad-boyz hump. A starting 5 of MJ(NC Chapel Hill), SP(Central Arkansas), JP(ND), HG(Clemson), and BC(San Francisco). with PJ's zen master like teaching and the triangle offense(tex winter's offense to be exact) the Bulls Dominated and the rest is history. It was if the sun, moon and the star aligned at the precise moment. As someone mentioned already PJ wanted SK for the simple reason that PJ was going to coach through SK. I mentioned that several pages earlier. But SK parlayed that into a contact with GSW.

will the sun, moon and the stars align for SK. well it's still unknown.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

this is a total different situation except for the part where PJ was unknown as a head coach. that's about as far as the comparison can be had. for those whom are forgetting/didn't know, PJ was a assistant under Doug Collins with the Chi Bulls. Therefore, he had some understanding of what it's like to be involved with coaching. After DC was let go PJ walked into the Chi Bulls locker room in the '91 season to a starting 5 which just needed that push to get over the bad-boyz hump. A starting 5 of MJ(NC Chapel Hill), SP(Central Arkansas), JP(ND), HG(Clemson), and BC(San Francisco). with PJ's zen master like teaching and the triangle offense(tex winter's offense to be exact) the Bulls Dominated and the rest is history. It was if the sun, moon and the star aligned at the precise moment. As someone mentioned already PJ wanted SK for the simple reason that PJ was going to coach through SK. I mentioned that several pages earlier. But SK parlayed that into a contact with GSW.

will the sun, moon and the stars align for SK. well it's still unknown.

I'm well aware of Phil Jackson's pedigree...in my statement above that you quoted me, "Jackson" was referring to Mark Jackson.
I'm well aware of Phil Jackson's pedigree...in my statement above that you quoted me, "Jackson" was referring to Mark Jackson.

oh i see but irregardless both PJ and MJ had no head coaching gigs prior either. but in PJ's case he coached in some lower league before joining Doug Collins staff. so in that regard he had some understanding.
I hope Kerr ends up becoming the Jim Harbaugh of the NBA in terms of success right out the gate
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
I hope Kerr ends up becoming the Jim Harbaugh of the NBA in terms of success right out the gate

Perfect comment for a 9er forum, could not agree more.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

Perfect comment for a 9er forum, could not agree more.

I just love the fact that we're aggressive every offseason. Our recent success still feels like a dream

I also find it comforting that Phil wanted Kerr
  • Jiks
  • Veteran
So what is so special about Kerr? Why was he so heavily sought after? Honest question.
Well if they kept MJ and fail to make the playoffs next season, the same people saying it was bad call to fire him would be calling for his head. I'll save my thoughts on Kerr until I see how he coaches for a whole season.
Can't wait to see our boys run the triangle
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
So what is so special about Kerr? Why was he so heavily sought after? Honest question.

I'm by no means an expert on basketball coaching, but my guess as to why Kerr is sought after is that teams are hoping he will combine the offensive ability that Phil Jackson's teams had AND the defensive fundamentals that Greg Popovich's teams always have. Teams look at it pretty simply. Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich are two of the best coaches in NBA history, each with very different strengths. Kerr was a very heady player who spent time learning from both those coaches. So in theory, he could be some sort of genetically engineered super coach. Or something along those lines....

Sort of like going after a coach that learned from both Walsh and Parcells.

I think that's a lot to expect from a first year coach. But who knows. It definitely seems easier for players to transition into coaching in basketball than it is in football.
Get the Latest News at WarriorsCentral.com