There are 87 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 California Football Thread

OP updated with scores () and times for the next two games. Rest remain unannounced.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Well now! Aren't we all satisfied that we got rid of that problematic Jeff Tedford? Those winning seasons really were getting to be a drag you know. Isn't it nice and refreshing to know that your California Golden Barfs are back to doormat status? Like, just before Tedford arrived? And then he delivered eight winning seasons in ten years? How many bowl games did he win? How many times did Cal stuff Stanfurd?

But -- your problem child is gone now. He lives in Reno. He's not worried about Cal football anymore. Nobody is. And it shows.

Shut the f**k up

You suck Tedfords dick like we fired him after 3 straight seasons of winning the division. He got paid and he stopped giving a damn. He failed to develop QB's and the team was soft. He sacrificed wins by handing Maynard the job so Keenan Allen would come here. f**k Tedford

Bull hockey! You forget he had absolutely no home field advantage while Memorial got the facelift that, and I repeat, WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT HIM.

You like the state of Cal Football without him Teeoh? You happy. One win seasons excite you like a pinup Penthouse model? Well that's good, because you're in for plenty of it and more. You just don't get it, do you. And you went to Cal? I went to Fresno State and I'm that not that freaking stupid. Sandy Barbour's failure to support Tedford when the chips were down sent a strong message all over the college ranks. Ir's not like Tedford was in the same league as Kiffin. Heck, at least Tedford delivered winning seasons. He took Cal to SEVEN BOWLS AND WON FIVE.

And how do you reward that? Oh, yeah, you dumped him. No loyalty. No support. You think getting enough support to rebuild Memorial was easy? You think he got lazy? Big words from a small fan. I suggest you use your Cal degree to look up the word loyalty.
One thing I will say is this: Sonny Dykes is not to blame for this. Neither is DC Andy Buh. They are scapegoats and nothing more. The real blame falls on Cal AD Sandy Barbour. You want to know why Cal is the laughingstock of PAC 12 Football? It's the AD. She can't handle success nor confrontation. The moment she's booted is the moment Cal Football starts the march back from football obscurity...
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Bull hockey! You forget he had absolutely no home field advantage while Memorial got the facelift that, and I repeat, WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED WITHOUT HIM.

You like the state of Cal Football without him Teeoh? You happy. One win seasons excite you like a pinup Penthouse model? Well that's good, because you're in for plenty of it and more. You just don't get it, do you. And you went to Cal? I went to Fresno State and I'm that not that freaking stupid. Sandy Barbour's failure to support Tedford when the chips were down sent a strong message all over the college ranks. Ir's not like Tedford was in the same league as Kiffin. Heck, at least Tedford delivered winning seasons. He took Cal to SEVEN BOWLS AND WON FIVE.

And how do you reward that? Oh, yeah, you dumped him. No loyalty. No support. You think getting enough support to rebuild Memorial was easy? You think he got lazy? Big words from a small fan. I suggest you use your Cal degree to look up the word loyalty.

f**k you. I'm not going to be content with s**tty football because of what he did in the past. I'll assume you didn't watch every game because they went downhill fast under Tedford. You were ok with Maynard at qb? For a guy who's this qb guru why was every qb after Rodgers worse than the last? What's your excuse for that because those were 4 star recruits that we're flaming out.

You want to talk about the embarrassing graduation rates, we're they acceptable because he won 5 bowl games?
Originally posted by billbird2111:
One thing I will say is this: Sonny Dykes is not to blame for this. Neither is DC Andy Buh. They are scapegoats and nothing more. The real blame falls on Cal AD Sandy Barbour. You want to know why Cal is the laughingstock of PAC 12 Football? It's the AD. She can't handle success nor confrontation. The moment she's booted is the moment Cal Football starts the march back from football obscurity...

seems like you really dislike Sandy Barbour.

any personal history between you two lol (aside from firing jeff tedford, a fresno state guy).

he wasn't doing well. Ever since we were ranked #1 for like 5 minutes against oregon state, he went 34-37.

Sure he did a lot for the program, but sometimes you just have to go and make the change. Are you mad at the yorks for firing Nolan/McCloughan even though they played a huge part in building the current niners (well at least last years version).
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
Originally posted by vrabbit:
true freshman Khalfani Muhammad is now the starter at RB. Daniel Lasco remains the #2, Bigelow dropped to #3 (!!!) in the depth chart.

Damn
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
true freshman Khalfani Muhammad is now the starter at RB. Daniel Lasco remains the #2, Bigelow dropped to #3 (!!!) in the depth chart.

Damn

Bigelow got the fumbles man.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
true freshman Khalfani Muhammad is now the starter at RB. Daniel Lasco remains the #2, Bigelow dropped to #3 (!!!) in the depth chart.

Damn

Bigelow got the fumbles man.

Muhammad didn't look anywhere near ready to play with the big boys. He's even smaller than Sofele last season, and cannot get a push whatsoever. If there are lanes, he'll break through, but the moment he makes contact with a defender he gets pushed back immediately. Lasco looked better than him but he's got fumble problems also, Jeffrey Coprich is listed at the same height and weight than Muhammad but he looks stronger and played stronger too. He might be worth a longer look.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
One thing I will say is this: Sonny Dykes is not to blame for this. Neither is DC Andy Buh. They are scapegoats and nothing more. The real blame falls on Cal AD Sandy Barbour. You want to know why Cal is the laughingstock of PAC 12 Football? It's the AD. She can't handle success nor confrontation. The moment she's booted is the moment Cal Football starts the march back from football obscurity...

seems like you really dislike Sandy Barbour.

any personal history between you two lol (aside from firing jeff tedford, a fresno state guy).

he wasn't doing well. Ever since we were ranked #1 for like 5 minutes against oregon state, he went 34-37.

Sure he did a lot for the program, but sometimes you just have to go and make the change. Are you mad at the yorks for firing Nolan/McCloughan even though they played a huge part in building the current niners (well at least last years version).

No personal history with Barbour (other than I can plainly spot suckage), and yes, I am a Fresno State guy. I went to school with Jeff. He didn't know me from Jack, of course, because my competitive football days ended in high school. But it still doesn't mean I wasn't a huge fan of the game back then, and Tedford was one of the more legendary QB's to lace up a pair of cleats for the Bulldog program. Had Tedford received the kind of recognition that, say, David Carr and Trent Dilfer received, he might have had a shot in the pros. Instead, he was content to play in the CFL and later join the coaching ranks when his career ended. He played before the day and age of the internets. If you think Fresno State is isolated now -- try going back to 1981.

If you look at the college QB's that Tedford developed -- you'll find that only one has had great success in the NFL: Aaron. And he literally stumbled over Aaron Rodgers when he went on a recruiting trip to see a tight end in Butte County (a tight end he did wind up signing). His discovery of Rodgers was a fluke. To be honest, most of the QB's he honed in the college ranks went on to have very average NFL careers. When I say average I mean VERY average. Most of those high draft picks were massive disappointments.

You going to blame Tedford for that? He was a little better at developing running backs.

It's clear that something went massively wrong during Tedford's final years at Cal. I don't think anyone outside the program knows what really happened. But Tedford didn't just "get lazy" or "forget how to coach." That's just stupid to even suggest such a thing. I'll admit, the wheels did come off. Something went wrong. I'd like to know the real truth, but who knows when or if that will ever come out. But to say he got lazy or content or the college game passed him by is just so wrong that I'm not even going to justify that with any sort of argument. Tedford will get another shot to coach again in the PAC 12. Then we'll see how much "he's lost it." And when that day comes, and he starts stomping the life out of your beloved Cal Bears, I'll be back to ask you "how did Tedford lose it and what did he lose?"

As for the Bears, it sucks to sit and watch the wife slowly start to lose interest in her old college team. The Bears are AWFUL -- in a way they never were under Tedford. They are ROUTINELY outclassed and blown clear off the field now. They are an EMBARRASSMENT.

So, who's to blame for this? Tedford? I don't think so. Your punching bag is gone. Sonny Dykes? Dykes inherited far more talent than Tedford did when he stepped through the door, and Tedford starting winning in SEASON ONE. He took a team that had been 1-10 the year before and nearly put them into a bowl game and upset Stanford while he was at it. But, though I have serious doubts about Dykes, I don't think he's to blame either.

Barbour deserves EVERY BIT OF BLAME POSSIBLE. She fired the ONLY coach that has been successful in the modern-day history of Cal Football. She FIRED the coach that gave you a brand new lease on Memorial. She CANNED the only coach to give you first class facilities to lure recruits with. When Tedford left -- whatever life was in the Cal Football program went with him.

How do you like me now?
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
I'd still like you to shut the f**k up about Cal football because you're not a Cal fan you're a Tedford nut hugger
Originally posted by teeohh:
I'd still like you to shut the f**k up about Cal football because you're not a Cal fan you're a Tedford nut hugger

Fine. How about if I admit that I'm clearly a "Tedford nut hugger" as you so eloquently put it, as long as you admit that firing him was the biggest mistake made in the history of the Cal Golden Bear Football program.

Unless, you really like what you're seeing with Dykes. And if you do, I'd also begin to question your loyalty as a Cal fan.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
I don't like it but I'm not going to call for his head after half a season. And I most definitely will not say firing Tedford was a mistake after half a season. Get real
[ Edited by teeohh on Oct 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM ]
  • MILFS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,619
we'll be pretty good in the upcoming years with jared goff. he'll be a beast in the future. we just need to fix our def
Originally posted by teeohh:
I don't like it but I'm not going to call for his head after half a season. And I most definitely will not say firing Tedford was a mistake after half a season. Get real

Then, I am forced to conclude one of two things:

A. You're not a true Cal fan

OR

B. You're not a fan of winning football. You actually like losing. Or teams that are just pathetically bad (see Cal Bears)

And, MILFS, sorry but I don't agree. I think Goff is actually pretty good. But I don't think it's going to translate into wins this year, next year or the year after. Dykes was woefully unprepared to step up in conference size and it shows every week on the field.
Dude we get it, you hate Cal for letting your boi tedford go.

Deal with it. Were you this pissed that Pat Hill got fired?

You gonna root for SC when tedford takes that job?