There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Soccer Thread 13/14

Originally posted by 4ML:
I saw parts of the 1st half and first 20 minutes of 2nd half. Alexis looks like he has finally figured it out how to play off the ball.

I like this new coach. This is how Barca played under Pep. Yes, I know it was Santos...and I don't care if we win these games or not...but I like what I'm seeing from the team. Results don't mean much to me right now.

Exactly, this is the time to see how players have improved.

The second half belonged to Cesc. He played even better than Alexis played the first half. Two goles, a beautiful free kick off the side bar, an assist on another gol, great passes to Neymar, who played well but obviously needs more time to get in the best shape and to know his teammates and the system. Messi was the third best player on this game but still won the trophy for best player of the game, which clearly was just a popularity vote.

The defense was barely challenged, though Adriano in particular stood out, after coming in for Jordi Alba, with a beautiful gol.

What I took out from this game was that if Cesc and Alexis are as improved as we've seen then the offense could be even better and that is with Neymar still learning. The defense is still what it was last year. Puyol is still a few weeks away. Latest transfer rumors are about Daniel Agger. I really hope that Tata trusts Bartra and Montoya more than Tito did. If they get more playing time in La Liga games then they will be even better prepared if they are badly needed again in the late winter and spring Champions League games.
Originally posted by NinerAce:
Exactly, this is the time to see how players have improved.

The second half belonged to Cesc. He played even better than Alexis played the first half. Two goles, a beautiful free kick off the side bar, an assist on another gol, great passes to Neymar, who played well but obviously needs more time to get in the best shape and to know his teammates and the system. Messi was the third best player on this game but still won the trophy for best player of the game, which clearly was just a popularity vote.

The defense was barely challenged, though Adriano in particular stood out, after coming in for Jordi Alba, with a beautiful gol.

What I took out from this game was that if Cesc and Alexis are as improved as we've seen then the offense could be even better and that is with Neymar still learning. The defense is still what it was last year. Puyol is still a few weeks away. Latest transfer rumors are about Daniel Agger. I really hope that Tata trusts Bartra and Montoya more than Tito did. If they get more playing time in La Liga games then they will be even better prepared if they are badly needed again in the late winter and spring Champions League games.

That has been my biggest annoyance with Tito. He didn't trust Thiago...and had he played him enough minutes...Thiago could not have left. His Transfer Fee would have been around $90M. We could have let Cesc go to ManU for 40M euros and signed any CB we wanted. Now, we can't let Cesc go.

We had La Liga locked up very early in the season...and could have played Montoya and Bartra against weaker opponents and develop them. Had he done that, Barca wouldn't be so desperate for a CB right now.

But, from what I'm hearing...Tata likes developing young players like Pep did, and that's huge. I really feel Thiago would have made a different decision today.
lol @ Mourinho and Ronaldo spat.

Mourinho is proving once again that he has no class.
lolwtf dat doot who hugged ronaldo with dat ass...wut a ghey

Ronaldo tells Mourinho what's up after scoring a goal against Chelsea lool
Neymar: "People waiting for row with Messi? They can keep on waiting. It's absurd. He's my idol, the person I admire most."

• NickV
  • Veteran
I love waking up in the morning with the EPL on :-D

Crystal Palace gave spurs a run for their money. MU crushed Swansea. Benfica, RM and Barça later today.

Alleluia!
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Fábio Coentráo wants to leave RM, I hope by someway he comes back to Benfica. There has been a revolving door at LB since he left.

But in all likelihood he is going to be part of a package deal for Gareth Bale.
Barca scored twice already in the first 13 minutes. 2nd goal was a great.

5-0 43rd minute

Barca looks really good...yes, I know it's Levente but they never played like this anytime last year.
[ Edited by 4ML on Aug 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM ]

5-0 43rd minute

Barca looks really good...yes, I know it's Levente but they never played like this anytime last year.

6-0 at the half. Barca offense looks unstoppable.

Their defense has barely been challenged. Messi, Pedro, Cesc, and Alexis have been pressing for the ball as soon as Levante gets posession resulting in Barca re-gaining posession almost as soon as they loose it. Guess the best defense for Barca is lots of posession which is the way that the Guardiola Barca played. Martino has brought that back and also installed a more direct attack.

5-0 43rd minute

6-0 at the half. Barca offense looks unstoppable.

Their defense has barely been challenged. Messi, Pedro, Cesc, and Alexis have been pressing for the ball as soon as Levante gets posession resulting in Barca re-gaining posession almost as soon as they loose it. Guess the best defense for Barca is lots of posession which is the way that the Guardiola Barca played. Martino has brought that back and also installed a more direct attack.

That may have been the best game Barca has played since Pep left. The pressure on the ball was ridiculous. Loved the effort out there. Good start to the season.
That may have been the best game Barca has played since Pep left. The pressure on the ball was ridiculous. Loved the effort out there. Good start to the season.

Another thing I liked... Messi was substituted for just after the 70th minute. He needs a rest every now and then and the team needs to learn to score without him.

Plus, Cesc is playing great. He needs more pitch time which means Messi and, specially, Iniesta and Xavi get some rest .

Also, they need to give Sergi Roberto some time.

At this moment, center back is the onyl real weakness in this team. Puyol is coming back but you know you can't count on him. They HAVE to play Bartra. No choice. He needs to be ready in the second half for the CL. I hope they sign someone by the end of the month.

Another thing I liked... Messi was substituted for just after the 70th minute. He needs a rest every now and then and the team needs to learn to score without him.

Plus, Cesc is playing great. He needs more pitch time which means Messi and, specially, Iniesta and Xavi get some rest .

Also, they need to give Sergi Roberto some time.

At this moment, center back is the onyl real weakness in this team. Puyol is coming back but you know you can't count on him. They HAVE to play Bartra. No choice. He needs to be ready in the second half for the CL. I hope they sign someone by the end of the month.

This. Your post is on point. Sooo glad a Barca coach is finally realizing that exposing Messi to injury in blowouts is fukin' retarded. It used to piss me off when Pep will keep Messi in too. His explanation was - people came to see him play. f**k the people. You need to protect him.

Cesc is playing great...so is Sanchez. IMO, if Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc are healthy, then Cesc should start against everyone except top 3 teams in La Liga. When playing against top sides, he needs to be the super-sub. Xavi and Iniesta can rotate the other mid-field spot. In blow-outs, get Roberto out there and give him a start against the weakest teams.

So excited about Sanchez. I really hope this is just the beginning. I really liked what I saw from Neymar. He's adapting really fast. He knows where to go most of the time and he is a very under-rated passer, IMO. Neymar ----- Messi ----- Sanchez...that can be a great attacking unit for Barca.

We have to go out and get a CB. We can wait till winter...but we have to get a CB if we want to win Champions League. I'd like Montoya get significant playing time too.
I'm at the airport in Barcelona right now and the team is here! Trying to get pics