LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

The Soccer Thread 13/14

RIP Tito Vilanova....
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
http://www.dw.de/fifa-lift-barcelona-transfer-ban-while-sanction-is-appealed/a-17584559

Transfer sanctions lifted during the appeals process. Barca will get the summer window to sign players. Scouting the World Cup is going to be so huge for this team. First things first they need to completely overhaul management then decide the best way to handle the stagnant personnel. This squad needs to be turned over. Cut some fat off the meat and make some money in the process. Purchase a GK, 2 CBs, MF, and a f**king forward that can latch onto the end of all the crosses.

Honestly I like Martino and I hope they keep him. He had a rough season but he inherited a squad that was failing in Guardiolas last season, but his counterattacking prowess is what this team needs. He also installed a plan B which is spreading the field out, getting strikers one on one with CBs, and crossing the ball in. If we had a true central striker it would be much more effective.

First of all, RIP Tito

There are rumors that Barca has agreed with Hummels already...that'll be huge. Should have signed him last summer. This also means they have Ter Stegan will come to Barca. Those are two major needs. Also, Barcelona have reportedly won a race to sign Hungarian youngster Matyas Tajti. Real Madrid and other big clubs wanted him pretty bad too.

Some reports suggest that Juve has reached a deal with Sanchez - now needs to agree with Barca on transfer fee. I like Sanchez - but if Juve is ready to pay - I'll let him join Juve. I'll also like to get rid of Dani Alves while he has some value and sign a more defensive player to take over.

I agree with some of your points - but if we're going to spread out the field - then we must sign a big guy up forward. I doubt we'll do that. I think we will stick with tikki-takka.
Originally posted by 4ML:
First of all, RIP Tito

There are rumors that Barca has agreed with Hummels already...that'll be huge. Should have signed him last summer. This also means they have Ter Stegan will come to Barca. Those are two major needs. Also, Barcelona have reportedly won a race to sign Hungarian youngster Matyas Tajti. Real Madrid and other big clubs wanted him pretty bad too.

Some reports suggest that Juve has reached a deal with Sanchez - now needs to agree with Barca on transfer fee. I like Sanchez - but if Juve is ready to pay - I'll let him join Juve. I'll also like to get rid of Dani Alves while he has some value and sign a more defensive player to take over.

I agree with some of your points - but if we're going to spread out the field - then we must sign a big guy up forward. I doubt we'll do that. I think we will stick with tikki-takka.

Sigh. Tiki taka doesn't work anymore though. I mean we had like 80% possession against a team(i cant remember who) that was in the bottom half of the standing and we still lost 1-0. Xavi is not 29 anymore. He lacks the mobility to create the passing patterns in a congested midfield and when he faces a good destroyer he ultimately gives the ball away and leads to a counterattack. We're able to stretch the field out because teams pack the midfield. If they don't pack the midfield they lose. We have to take advantage of the spread out CBs. Tiki Taka is the heart but they need to find a target for the end of these crosses, and he needs to be quick enough to get on the end of counterattack. Will see but Xavi is tiki taka and he's on his last leg and it would be foolish to not preparing to move forward.

Which is why I think keeping Martino was the best choice. Before Xavi took control of the squad midseason the team was getting really good at counterattacking. I would have to think if the team fully embraced his ideas that this team would see a resurgence.

Sanchez or Pedro need to leave. Neither have been consistent for 2 1/2 season. We need the money. And on top of everything we have Tello plus a ton of other wingers. Neymar and Messi are going to be mainstays in the striker lineup so we really have an abundance upfront. I would rather buy a traditional striker with some pace.Hopefully Hummels is happening. He's a beast and would immediately bring stability to the backline. Pique needs the competition as well. His attitude pisses me off and having another star CB should wake him up.

RIP Tito

So sad. He gave this team his all. I feel really bad for this team they've taken lots of punches over the past 2 years.

1st Place - Liverpool 80pts (Games Remaining: Crystal Palace, Newcastle)
2nd Place - Chelsea 75pts (Games Remaining: Norwich, Athletico Madrid, Cardiff City)

Originally posted by 4ML:
First of all, RIP Tito

Sigh. Tiki taka doesn't work anymore though. I mean we had like 80% possession against a team(i cant remember who) that was in the bottom half of the standing and we still lost 1-0. Xavi is not 29 anymore. He lacks the mobility to create the passing patterns in a congested midfield and when he faces a good destroyer he ultimately gives the ball away and leads to a counterattack. We're able to stretch the field out because teams pack the midfield. If they don't pack the midfield they lose. We have to take advantage of the spread out CBs. Tiki Taka is the heart but they need to find a target for the end of these crosses, and he needs to be quick enough to get on the end of counterattack. Will see but Xavi is tiki taka and he's on his last leg and it would be foolish to not preparing to move forward.

Which is why I think keeping Martino was the best choice. Before Xavi took control of the squad midseason the team was getting really good at counterattacking. I would have to think if the team fully embraced his ideas that this team would see a resurgence.

Sanchez or Pedro need to leave. Neither have been consistent for 2 1/2 season. We need the money. And on top of everything we have Tello plus a ton of other wingers. Neymar and Messi are going to be mainstays in the striker lineup so we really have an abundance upfront. I would rather buy a traditional striker with some pace.Hopefully Hummels is happening. He's a beast and would immediately bring stability to the backline. Pique needs the competition as well. His attitude pisses me off and having another star CB should wake him up.

RIP Tito

So sad. He gave this team his all. I feel really bad for this team they've taken lots of punches over the past 2 years.

Barca vs Granada was the match you're thinking of, more than likely.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Apr 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM ]

Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:

So Man City is 3 points behind Pool but they have 1 more game in hand; what happens if Man City wins out?

So Man City is 3 points behind Pool but they have 1 more game in hand; what happens if Man City wins out?

So like GD or what? They're tied this season.

damn that nike soccer commercial is A+. and that hottie in the stands
So like GD or what? They're tied this season.

Yeah ManCity got the GD advantage. Most of my soccer friends are ManCity and ManU fans so both will be like

...after all the s**t talking texts I've sent over the past couple of weeks.
Yeah ManCity got the GD advantage. Most of my soccer friends are ManCity and ManU fans so both will be like

...after all the s**t talking texts I've sent over the past couple of weeks.

At least they have one extra game to possibly draw. Everton is fighting for the #4 spot so they'll put up a fight for sure.
man I wish joshuatree was around
DAMNNNNNNNNNNN bro, Real is going IN
Share 49ersWebzone