LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

2014 MLB All Star Game/Home Run Derby Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by jrg:
I'll just bump this for this year instead of making a new thread.

Wainwright named NL starter
Hernandez named AL starter

lol Wainwright over Kershaw...

Mike Matheny's new nickname is "Hawk Harrelson".

Oh lord. PLEASE. Tell me why this was the wrong choice Mr. Sabermetrics.

not sure what the beef is, they've both been outstanding so far this season, either choice was fine IMO.

In Matheny's defense, Wainwright is having an amazing year. 12-4 with a 1.8 ERA and a whip under 1 is nothing to sneeze at. If I was him, I would reward my own guy too having that kind of season.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

not sure what the beef is, they've both been outstanding so far this season, either choice was fine IMO.

Agreed. Can't really go wrong. Flip a coin.

Other than wins what has Wainwright done better than Kershaw in?

Im not seeing anything
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kershcl01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wainwad01.shtml
Originally posted by valrod33:

Other than wins what has Wainwright done better than Kershaw in?

Im not seeing anything
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kershcl01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wainwad01.shtml

It isnt always about the best stats. Wainwright has carried a team that has several players underperforming big time. Plus, his numbers are outstanding. Finally, a manager is always going to want to keep hiis own player happy. I have no issue with this at all and would have done the same exact thing. And.. everyone knows how much I love Kershaw.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
It isnt always about the best stats. Wainwright has carried a team that has several players underperforming big time. Plus, his numbers are outstanding. Finally, a manager is always going to want to keep hiis own player happy. I have no issue with this at all and would have done the same exact thing. And.. everyone knows how much I love Kershaw.

Regardless you know both guys are going to be in the game. Kershaw will be in 2nd.

Regardless you know both guys are going to be in the game. Kershaw will be in 2nd.

No doubt. I had a much bigger problem with Matheny picking Pat Neschek ( over someone like Huston Street or Jonathon Pappelbon) and Matt Carpenter over Anthony Rendon. Those were true homer picks,
  • jrg
  • Veteran

No doubt. I had a much bigger problem with Matheny picking Pat Neschek ( over someone like Huston Street or Jonathon Pappelbon) and Matt Carpenter over Anthony Rendon. Those were true homer picks,

I agree with Carpenter over Rendon, but have you seen Neshek's numbers? Street and Papelbon have the saves, but Neshek has been lights out.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28489/pat-neshek

I agree with Carpenter over Rendon, but have you seen Neshek's numbers? Street and Papelbon have the saves, but Neshek has been lights out.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/28489/pat-neshek

I'm taking a closer over a set up guy everytime. Just me but a much tougher job with more pressure. Pappelbon has a 1.2 ERA and a whip of 0.86. Street is even better with a 1.09 era and a 0.75 whip. Not saying Neshek isnt have a great year but he isnt even good enough to be their closer. (In Mathenys mind anyway)

• jrg
  • Veteran
  • jrg
  • Veteran

I think its pretty clear that Kershaw has been the best SP in baseball this year.

Part of the spoils of managing the AS game is being a bit of a homer, but IMO Kershaw outperformed Wainwright enough to get the nod, even over a homer pick.
[video]http://vine.co/v/MUQb2BLnp1z[/video]
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Jul 14, 2014 at 4:26 PM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Just got home a little bit ago...a delay?

Nvm, saw the rain
[ Edited by jrg on Jul 14, 2014 at 5:21 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone