LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

204X NBA Champs Sacramento Kings Thread

• MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by Muggins:
^ That happened a few days ago actually. Or at least that's when I heard about it, maybe the Kings just announced it today.

I make a brief mention of it in post #1348 in this thread.

sorry bud, didn't happen to see it
All good. He deserves a full post like you posted anyway.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
KINGS ANNOUNCE ASSISTANT COACH BRENDAN MALONE'S RESIGNATION

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Sacramento Kings announced today the team has accepted the resignation of Assistant Coach Brendan Malone, effective immediately. No replacement will be made at this time and moving forward, Chris Jent will assume responsibilities as the lead assistant on Head Coach Michael Malone's staff.

"As a veteran of 27 seasons in the NBA coaching ranks, Brendan brought a wealth of experience and knowledge to our organization, and we were all fortunate to have had an opportunity to work with him," said Kings General Manager Pete D'Alessandro. "His departure is not indicative of a loss of passion for the game or his desire to help our franchise succeed, but rather a decision based on factors associated with the rigors of coaching in the NBA."

"I'm thankful that I had my father on our staff during the summer and throughout training camp as I transitioned into a head coaching role," said Michael Malone. "He was my father long before we became colleagues, and while I'll miss his presence on the bench, he will always be an invaluable source of counsel on all matters basketball and otherwise."

Malone Sr. joined the Kings in June after five seasons with the Orlando Magic under Head Coach Stan Van Gundy. During his tenure in Orlando, the Magic notched four straight seasons of 50 or more wins, three consecutive Southeast Division titles (2007-08 – 2009-10), and a 2009 NBA Finals appearance. Malone also worked under Hall of Famer Chuck Daly and was part of two NBA championships with the Detroit Pistons (1989 and 1990), where he orchestrated defensive sets to thwart Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. He spent seven seasons (1988-89 – 1994-95) with the Pistons before becoming the first-ever head coach of the expansion Toronto Raptors.

His coaching career includes three stints with the Knicks as an assistant coach (1986-87 – 1987-88, 1997-98 – 1999-00, and (2003-04). In between his second and third stays in New York, he served as an assistant coach with the Indiana Pacers for three seasons (2000-01 – 2002-03). In 1996, Malone worked as a consultant for the Seattle Supersonics during their run to the 1996 NBA Finals.

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-announce-assistant-coach-brendan-malones-resignation

Bump in case people didn't hear about this. Would have been interesting to have the father son duo thing.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis55mSo apparently the #NBAKings have lifted the ban on cowbells at games at @SleepTrainArena

This is awesome! FOR REAL. REALLY AWESOME. I thought the NBA said no more cowbell. Maybe it was the Maloofs? Maybe Vivek had a little "chat" with the NBA and got them allowed back?

Home crowd advantage is back my dudes!
Ryan Lillis ‏@Ryan_Lillis55mSo apparently the #NBAKings have lifted the ban on cowbells at games at @SleepTrainArena

This is awesome! FOR REAL. REALLY AWESOME. I thought the NBA said no more cowbell. Maybe it was the Maloofs? Maybe Vivek had a little "chat" with the NBA and got them allowed back?

Home crowd advantage is back my dudes!

Probably more Maloofery. They did all they could to kill the atmosphere at Arco/STA the last few years.
Cowbells were banned? Wtf? I snuck so much s**t in Arco that it would ve mattered if they were banned Imo.

Olden Polynice with the suck it taunt
so the kings won. Championship.

edit: It was either a poster on here or kingsfans.com but they said that they didn't like that Vasquez trade and the poster pointed out his last game. Well, against the Clippers: 0pts, 12 ast, 0 turnovers. Not too shabby.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM ]
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Kings looked very good other than the first few minutes of the game. I like that bench mob we roll out there.. reminds me of the old days when we were good. I think it should be IT coming off the bench as the spark, the Bobby Jackson type. It just makes more sense that way. And GV distributes like a mofo. Find people in perfect spots... makes way more sense to have him out there with Cuz.

This will be a fun season. Might not make the playoffs but this is a decent squad. Just think if we had Landry too.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Olden Polynice with the suck it taunt

I remember that. That was hilarious.

For some reason I don't remember Koz and Grant calling the game at the same time though.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
NBATV is replaying last nights game at 9 AM this morning btw.

Kings looked very good other than the first few minutes of the game. I like that bench mob we roll out there.. reminds me of the old days when we were good. I think it should be IT coming off the bench as the spark, the Bobby Jackson type. It just makes more sense that way. And GV distributes like a mofo. Find people in perfect spots... makes way more sense to have him out there with Cuz.

This will be a fun season. Might not make the playoffs but this is a decent squad. Just think if we had Landry too.
They are fun to watch again. Don't know how they will do this season. Obviously, preseason success may not equate to season wins.

But I am very impressed with Coach Malone and what he has accomplished so far--and recognize the uphill battle he faces for the regular season.

IT may be the perfect symbol of the Kings this year. Undersized and overlooked, but plays with a lot of heart and doesn't concede a thing.

Malone has them working together, as a team, and has turned some question marks into strengths. They're gonna surprise some people this year, and hopefully those team strengths will see them through the tough times ahead.
The more I think about it, the more I liked what this team have done over the offseason. I still wanted Robin Lopez, doe.
Nice win against the clipps
this ish starts fa real on weds.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
this ish starts fa real on weds.

Not expecting much. Not in season one anyways. I don't see a surprising turnaround. I hope to see slow, but steady, progress.
Share 49ersWebzone