LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

204X NBA Champs Sacramento Kings Thread

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Scott Howard-Cooper ‏@SHowardCooper 5m
Just filed to http://NBA.com : Kings put No. 8 on the trade block, wanting veteran instead of next rookie to develop. Link to come.

Makes sense. Would love to package the pick to get something proven.

lol something proven? Cause the Kings are SO CLOSE to contention? They are idiots to pass up on somebody like Smart. Take a gamble. And not a Jimmer gamble.

Right, and the way to build a winner is to continually stock up on mid-late lottery picks. As I've said, I think there are 8 solid talents here (Smart is one of them) and that might be our best move. But if we can get someone in a trade who can come in right away, with a track record of success, why not? We have no idea who might be available on the trade market...foolish to not explore.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
IT
Ben Mac
Kawhi
Cousins
Drummond

Lol

This makes me sad. Not to mention you could sub out Ben Mac for Tyreke and the lineup looks even better
Arena deal officially passes, 7-2. Set to open in 2016.
mcbuckets?
Originally posted by Zachary:
mcbuckets?

Lol
Just filed to http://NBA.com : Kings put No. 8 on the trade block, wanting veteran instead of next rookie to develop. Link to come.

lol something proven? Cause the Kings are SO CLOSE to contention? They are idiots to pass up on somebody like Smart. Take a gamble. And not a Jimmer gamble.

Right, and the way to build a winner is to continually stock up on mid-late lottery picks. As I've said, I think there are 8 solid talents here (Smart is one of them) and that might be our best move. But if we can get someone in a trade who can come in right away, with a track record of success, why not? We have no idea who might be available on the trade market...foolish to not explore.

I agree, but I dont think Smart makes it to 8.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Scott Howard-Cooper ���128;š���#143;@SHowardCooper 5m
Just filed to http://NBA.com ;: Kings put No. 8 on the trade block, wanting veteran instead of next rookie to develop. Link to come.

On the flip side, who have they even developed other than Cousins? Their picks have been awful, and the only other guy worth a crap they signed and traded for Greivis Freaking Vasquez. God this team is a mess, and I am still not sold that the new FO really knows what they are doing.

Just filed to http://NBA.com ;: Kings put No. 8 on the trade block, wanting veteran instead of next rookie to develop. Link to come.

On the flip side, who have they even developed other than Cousins? Their picks have been awful, and the only other guy worth a crap they signed and traded for Greivis Freaking Vasquez. God this team is a mess, and I am still not sold that the new FO really knows what they are doing.

If they could package the No. 8 w/ a vet contract (JT) AND move back just a little, maybe into the late teens or early 20s, that might work. Then target a sleeper--every draft has one. They did a good job with their second round pick last year (Ray Mac), so there's reason to think they might be able to find value with a late first round pick, and add a veteran talent as well. (And move JT, a looming headache.)

I disagree w/ you Hoov, about the new front office. After just one year, the Kings have more talent available than they've had in years, and have shown a willingness to make moves to improve--not just to dump salaries.

Problem is that the previous ownership put them into a deep, deep, deep hole that's going to take some time to get out of.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on May 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM ]

Exactly. We have a s**tload of young guys with "potential." We've had these 5-10 picks for years now. Hasn't worked too well... Depending on what we get, I would much rather prefer a solid vet. But, with the 8th pick who can we really get? Would they have to package something?
I wouldn't mind McDermott. He's compared to Wally Sczcerbiak.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

If they could package the No. 8 w/ a vet contract (JT) AND move back just a little, maybe into the late teens or early 20s, that might work. Then target a sleeper--every draft has one. They did a good job with their second round pick last year (Ray Mac), so there's reason to think they might be able to find value with a late first round pick, and add a veteran talent as well. (And move JT, a looming headache.)

I disagree w/ you Hoov, about the new front office. After just one year, the Kings have more talent available than they've had in years, and have shown a willingness to make moves to improve--not just to dump salaries.

Problem is that the previous ownership put them into a deep, deep, deep hole that's going to take some time to get out of.

Yeah, you are probably right, i may just still have some bitterness left over from the previous regime. but some of the things that rubbed me the wrong way and have caused me to question the FO:

1. Trading Evans for Vasquez. I understand that NO was offering a lot of $, but this team was/is in no position to give away talent, let alone their 2nd most talented player. We can't land top level guys via FA, so when you hit on a draft pick, you need to keep that pick and build around it. Evans was/is the superior player to Vasquez (whose assist #'s were greatly inflated in NO's PG friendly system) and i find it hard to believe that he was the best option via sign and trade.

2. Having the option to take back Robin Lopez, who would have filled a huge role as a mobile 5 who could be interchangeable with Cousins, a la Dalembert, and instead using him as a throwaway to POR in the Evans trade.

3. They preached all offseason about becoming a better passing and defensive team. so what do they do? they trade their best/only passer for Rudy Gay and then they trade their best defender for Derrick Williams. While i don't have a huge issue with the trades from a talent standpoint, this goes completely against what they were preaching. At least with Moute and Vasquez, you had 2 guys that had a role and knew their role.

4. I am not going to really complain about this one, because i was not totally sold on MCW, but drafting Ben when they could have taken MCW. MWC was a big , multi talented PG who could handle the ball, defend, create his own shot, etc. Ben's faults were known coming out of Kansas. Couldn't handle the ball and couldn't create his own shot..and all of that has proven to be true. Now granted this was only his rookie season and i expect him to improve and by no means am giving up on him, but it just gets frustrating coming off of numerous wasted draft picks.

I am totally on board with trading the pick, but it better not be for someone like Dennis Schroeder as has been reported.

Originally posted by btthepunk:

What would McDermott positively add to this team?
I am one who thinks he will be a good nba player but if we take him I would be furious. It would be like us taking Jimmer again

I am one who thinks he will be a good nba player but if we take him I would be furious. It would be like us taking Jimmer again

I don't know a lot of his game but doesn't he play SF? He seems to be pretty good in most areas and has room to improve on defense.

I don't know a lot of his game but doesn't he play SF? He seems to be pretty good in most areas and has room to improve on defense.

He's a SF/PF tweener. An offensive player who isn't a great defender. We don't need another one of those.
Yeah, you are probably right, i may just still have some bitterness left over from the previous regime. but some of the things that rubbed me the wrong way and have caused me to question the FO:

1. Trading Evans for Vasquez. I understand that NO was offering a lot of $, but this team was/is in no position to give away talent, let alone their 2nd most talented player. We can't land top level guys via FA, so when you hit on a draft pick, you need to keep that pick and build around it. Evans was/is the superior player to Vasquez (whose assist #'s were greatly inflated in NO's PG friendly system) and i find it hard to believe that he was the best option via sign and trade.

2. Having the option to take back Robin Lopez, who would have filled a huge role as a mobile 5 who could be interchangeable with Cousins, a la Dalembert, and instead using him as a throwaway to POR in the Evans trade.

3. They preached all offseason about becoming a better passing and defensive team. so what do they do? they trade their best/only passer for Rudy Gay and then they trade their best defender for Derrick Williams. While i don't have a huge issue with the trades from a talent standpoint, this goes completely against what they were preaching. At least with Moute and Vasquez, you had 2 guys that had a role and knew their role.

4. I am not going to really complain about this one, because i was not totally sold on MCW, but drafting Ben when they could have taken MCW. MWC was a big , multi talented PG who could handle the ball, defend, create his own shot, etc. Ben's faults were known coming out of Kansas. Couldn't handle the ball and couldn't create his own shot..and all of that has proven to be true. Now granted this was only his rookie season and i expect him to improve and by no means am giving up on him, but it just gets frustrating coming off of numerous wasted draft picks.

I am totally on board with trading the pick, but it better not be for someone like Dennis Schroeder as has been reported.

You make some good points. But remember, the new FO did more in their first season than the prior FO did for years.

The Evans for Vasquez deal was almost dictated to them. Overpay Evans or get something in exchange. Evans' game really didn't mesh with DMC, so time to move on.

Totally agree w/ you on Lopez. He'd fit in nicely next to DMC.

The trades for Gay and for DWill were good ones, although if the Rudy Gay trade had gone down first, they may not have made the DWill trade.

I see why they took Ben Mac. He's got a sweet jumpshot that should prove much more consistent and reliable now that he's had a season to mature. He's a great athlete who now has a season of work defending NBA shooting guards. He's shown improvement, is a hard worker, and is a good person. I don't think he was a wasted pick; although admittedly he needed a year to mature.

I would consider trading for Schroeder + Millsap AND Atlanta's #1 for the #8 and JT. Don't know if the salary numbers would work, tho.

He's a SF/PF tweener. An offensive player who isn't a great defender. We don't need another one of those.

He's a great outside, three point shooter. That opens up a lot of other things, not the least of which would be more room for DMC inside.
Share 49ersWebzone