There are 192 users in the forums

204X NBA Champs Sacramento Kings Thread

All I'm saying is, in order to get monta we would have to clear some salary. If we could get rid of 2 out of Salmons/Hayes/Thornton it would be a good pickup for us. Monta isn't a star but he is a proven NBA player who can play at a high level, which right now we don't have very many of.

Improving the talent pool on our team is a big deal and Monta would probably be our second best player on the team.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Oh and the reports are also that the Kings will be able to unload Thornton, Salmons, and Hayes for free? That is splendid news.

And Ellis turned down a 3 year $36M extension already. But yeah you are right, he's gonna settle for less.

That was a 2 year deal he turned down man... we are talking hypotheticals. Of course that would be the best case scenario. But this is a Kings thread on the internet. I know being smug is part of your Webzone persona, and I think its funny and cool, but you aren't the most informed when it comes to hoops so it don't work. Its cool for the PL though homie

Monta will not get more than 12 a year. If he does, than it'll probably be from Charlotte.
I think Vivek and company should take a similar approach to what the Warriors have done. The W's couldn't attract big FA's either, but they made smart draft choices and spent their money wisely, targeting players who first and foremost had size for their position and defensive potential. Plenty of guys can score, so forget about the undersized, inefficient volume scorers like Monta.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think Vivek and company should take a similar approach to what the Warriors have done. The W's couldn't attract big FA's either, but they made smart draft choices and spent their money wisely, targeting players who first and foremost had size for their position and defensive potential. Plenty of guys can score, so forget about the undersized, inefficient volume scorers like Monta.

Save the Ellis rumors, I think this is and will be their approach. That's why they didn't match for Reke who NO overpaid for.
Giving monta 10+ mill per year would be a mistake for the kings imo
Originally posted by sacniner:
Save the Ellis rumors, I think this is and will be their approach. That's why they didn't match for Reke who NO overpaid for.

I think that is their philosophy too, which is why pursuing Ellis doesn't make sense to me.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

I really don't think we'll give him that much. We'll offer 8 and if he wants it cool if not then no
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

I agree. Just look at the teams actively pursuing him. Mavs, Hawks, Bobcats, Kings. 4 teams that aren't going anywhere in the near future. If Ellis was coveted, winning teams would be clearing cap space to get him, but they're not. Only bad teams with cap space are pursuing him, because at the very least, he's a highlight reel.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
I really don't think we'll give him that much. We'll offer 8 and if he wants it cool if not then no

$8 mil for 2-3 years would be fair. I hope it isn't much more than that.
whats taking so long to amnesty Salmons?

lol @ kingsfans.com b***hing about not wanting Monta to come here. I mean, I'm not a fan of it but he would be the most talented player the kings have signed in 15 years. The fans on that forum acting hella snobish like the Kings are an elite franchise
Originally posted by pdizo916:
lol @ kingsfans.com b***hing about not wanting Monta to come here. I mean, I'm not a fan of it but he would be the most talented player the kings have signed in 15 years. The fans on that forum acting hella snobish like the Kings are an elite franchise

Ummm, no. You know they signed Webber in the last 15 years? I'm not totally against the move but if you can't recognize the weaknesses in his game you're blind. 6th worst efficiency of any player that has averaged 19 pts/game IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA. That's not good. I think the main issue with most Kings fans is that we could have just resigned Reke at this price and most, including myself see him as a superior player.
Also highest career ppg to not have made an all star game lol
I'm behind our front office 100%. But as of now, my two complaints about the offseason...

1) Why pull the money from Iguodala if there wasn't a firm backup plan? They put a gun to his head with that offer, he walked, and then we've basically shown that we had no reason to pull it. I don't understand what happened there. We could have done everything else we did this summer even if we let Iggy have a few days to check the market. I don't even know if signing him was the best move, but it would have shown a clear direction. And we've already discussed the benefits to have a veteran like Iguodala here.

2) The Landry signing. I'm just not seeing it. This one could be rectified if a move is made to clear up the logjam up front. But as of now, Landry isn't a starter in my mind. I like JT as a third big man down the line and P.Pat really impressed down the stretch last year, and I'm not convinced he can't do what Landry does for $4 mill cheaper. We now have 3 reserve power forwards essentially. This one has a stench of panic to it -- offseason clock running out, make an aggressive bid on a player Vivek knows to appear competitive. Not saying that's the case, but it has that look.

Still time to change things, but Monta Ellis is not the solution to me. I'll bank on McLemore becoming a starting SG, which makes Ellis...what, our PG? Our expensive 6th man? Nah.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
I was thinking. The theory behind the Monte thing might be, lets just make this team fun again for a few years while we get this new Arena built. Keep fans exited and butts in the seats. Slowly put together a badass team, set ourselves up for the future and then by the time the new Arena is ready we'll have a perennial playoff team for years moving forward.

Share 49ersWebzone