There are 155 users in the forums

***The Kenneth Lofton Jr Appreciaton Thread***

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Oh s**t!

The Utah Jazz, as part of a broad coaching search expected to feature some 20 candidates, plan to reach out to Jazz legend John Stockton to gauge whether he has any interest in the position, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com that Jazz officials intend to at least pose the question to the Hall of Fame guard about his willingness to move into coaching, while mindful of Stockton's lack of previous coaching experience and the fact that he has long loathed the sort of spotlight associated with the job.

Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey declined comment Tuesday night about Stockton or any other prospective candidates when reached by ESPN.com.

Other candidates who have been mentioned include Chicago Bulls assistant coach Adrian Griffin, current Jazz assistant Brad Jones, former Missouri coach and veteran NBA assistant Quin Snyder (who worked with Lindsey in San Antonio), and European coaching legend Ettore Messina. ESPN.com reported last month that the Jazz are regarded around the league as one of the few teams that would give bona fide consideration to breaking the NBA's European barrier and hiring a head coach who wasn't reared in the United States, with both Lindsey and Jazz assistant general manager Justin Zanik known to be Messina fans.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10929407/utah-jazz-plan-gauge-john-stockton-interest-open-coaching-job

lol initially that would be awesome, but it wouldnt end well. John Stockton doesnt seem to have the personality to coach. The fact that he isnt already coaching at some level shows that a jump from retirement to coaching on the highest level would likely be a disaster. Its probably best to avoid having to fire a Jazz legend and creating unnecessary awkwardness.

Im not saying Stockton couldnt coach, but he djdnt seem to want any part of basic postgame interviews. Being an NBA head coach requires a lot of media time. Would he be an effective communicator to his players, or would he need to rely on his legend status for respect?

It seems like a desperate and irresponsible thing for the organization to do. Jim Boylen has Jazz ties, and he comes from a well respected system. Hes probably still the front runner.

Shouldve just fired Corbin last offseason and hired Jeff Hornacek.
Yeah I don't think he's really coaching material either but it was shocking to see his name be brought up because out of all the stars from those great Jazz teams he seemed like the one least likely to pursue a career in basketball outside of a player. He has a great basketball IQ but I agree with you and don't think he would be an effective communicator to his players. Malone I think can but I don't think he's ready yet to be a head coach.
  • Jiks
Rumor around SLC today is that Earl Watson is a possible candidate. I could see him being a good coach, they were discussing it on the radio, but I personally would like to see him coach around the league first. As said this is a rumor, just throwing it out there.
I'm not surprised by that at all. I read a lot of stuff where guys on the team said he'd be a good coach but I'd rather have him be an assistant coach first.
Number 5 pick. Meh...
Awesome :( figured it would happen
Let's hope Cleveland takes dougie.

As far as coaches go id like to see them go after blatt. All I know is the next jazz coach will probably be around for the long haul, so they need to pick the right guy. Watson would be nice but he has a learning curve. If thy are willing to wait he would be a good choice as well
  • Jiks
Was at work serving tables. Was pissed off the entire night. 5ths not bad, but how does Cleveland win it again!? Not saying it's rigged but the lottery is stupid. One team gets the first pick 3 out of 4 years? Seems rather unfair, regardless of luck or odds.

I'm guessing we have a good chance to move up a spot or two with our warriors picks. Possibly even trade(Burks, Kanter,) some guys to keep our 5th, and move up and sign McDermott(sp?) in the mid rounds. Not really sure though.
DL is not afraid to trade picks and players to get the guy he wants. He's been pretty vocal about it too. I just fear he will go after that "veteran player" he mentioned before.

If the jazz stay at 5 I wouldn't mind smart. He plays with intensity and would bring toughness that the current team severely lacks.
The Lottery is rigged. It should not be set up that way it's unfair
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
The Lottery is rigged. It should not be set up that way it's unfair

The NBA is still making it up to the Cavs for losing LeBron. "Were sorry, but we had to ask him to move to Miami. Its for the good of the league. We'll rig the lottery to make this sting less".

Theyre the worst run team in the NBA. Giving them the number 1 pick is just throwing away the career of a talented kid.

So provided Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, and Exum go 1-4, who are we taking at 5? Randle? Gordon? Smart? Vonleh?

Is there any way we trade up into the top 3 and get one of the elite guys?
Originally posted by Niners99:
So provided Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, and Exum go 1-4, who are we taking at 5? Randle? Gordon? Smart? Vonleh?

Is there any way we trade up into the top 3 and get one of the elite guys?

I think we can if we can give up our second 1st round pick. I didn't want to do it because it is such a deep draft but if we can get one of the Parker or Wiggins I'd go for it. Julius Randle and Marcus Smart keep being mentioned on ESPN Radio for us and if I had to chose between those two I'd go with Smart. Him and Burke would be a fun backcourt to build around and Horny proved this year that two PGs can work together on the court really well. Then we could get a shooter like CJ Wilcox with our second pick.
double post
[ Edited by NinerFanMT on May 21, 2014 at 7:38 AM ]
Tyler Honeycutt invited to jazz camp. I like the move as he's still young and did well playing overseas.
Originally posted by saniner:
Tyler Honeycutt invited to jazz camp. I like the move as he's still young and did well playing overseas.

Man I loved Tyler Honeycutt. He was on the kings but barely played. I thought he would be a solid player
Share 49ersWebzone