There are 147 users in the forums

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
That means a lot coming from you, thanks.

This year, Lebron has been really good on catch and shoot jump-shots. But, he still misses quite a few jumpers when he is trying to drive...doesn't find the room and decides to shoot. He misses a LOT of those shots. So, I feel that's what teams should do against them. But, it's a tough to execute that. To make sure he doesn't drive, someone will have to leave their guy and clog the paint, no?

Certainly difficult to execute, and like I said, I'm saying that I'm curious rather than saying that I think it'd definitely work.

I don't think you'd necessarily have to have a second guy. Think how some teams (like the Lakers) guard Rondo. Not as exaggerated, but along the same lines.

Gotcha! I've seen him attack the basket even with room to take an open shot when he's in that mode. I do think that strategy can work beautifully if employed at right times. Pop is one coach who can pick those moments. I was just watching his press conf. and this is what he said to the strategy you're referring to:

Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
You can't stay at home on Miami's shooters because their answer to that is to play small. The spacing issues would be too problematic, like Joe mentioned, once Lebron starts his post you're going to have to double, either with the big responsible for Bosh (leaving him open) or with weakside help conceding the corner three.

I think the series comes down to Bosh. If he can match up with Timmy, the Heat can go small with reckless abandonment knowing Splitter won't be able to make them pay on the end. A lot of the Spurs advantages in this series go out the window if they have to take one of their bigs off the floor, I don't think they have the firepower on either end to contend with Miami in a small ball matchup.

Spurs can't play small ball? I don't agree with you there. Diaw has been money for SA. Matt Bonner has also been okay in small personnel. I think it would be more difficult for MIA to guard Tony Parker and Gary Neal on the court at the same time.

Remember, Golden State was probably the best small ball team and we out small balled them. Then we went into Memphis and out played their pound it with the bigs style.

MIA is a 3-point team. We are a better 3-point team but both teams have totally different methods to getting that shot open.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Spurs can't play small ball? I don't agree with you there. Diaw has been money for SA. Matt Bonner has also been okay in small personnel. I think it would be more difficult for MIA to guard Tony Parker and Gary Neal on the court at the same time.

Remember, Golden State was probably the best small ball team and we out small balled them. Then we went into Memphis and out played their pound it with the bigs style.

MIA is a 3-point team. We are a better 3-point team but both teams have totally different methods to getting that shot open.

MIA is the best small ball team this is why they won the chip over OKC last year. Warriors haven't won anything and MIA when locked in is the best defensive team in this league. One team will get stops (MIA) and the other won't (SAS). There is no fear for Lebron or even a hobbled D Wade in penetrating the Spurs defensive interior. MIA has THE elite perimeter defense in this league and Tony Parker will be suffocated whereas Lebron will kill at will, literally. IND had long physical defenders at every position, the Spurs don't. And Bosh has held his own versus today's Tim Duncan from the meetings I have seen. Spurs do have the coach and the rest. MIA wins this!
You can't stay at home on Miami's shooters because their answer to that is to play small. The spacing issues would be too problematic, like Joe mentioned, once Lebron starts his post you're going to have to double, either with the big responsible for Bosh (leaving him open) or with weakside help conceding the corner three.

I think the series comes down to Bosh. If he can match up with Timmy, the Heat can go small with reckless abandonment knowing Splitter won't be able to make them pay on the end. A lot of the Spurs advantages in this series go out the window if they have to take one of their bigs off the floor, I don't think they have the firepower on either end to contend with Miami in a small ball matchup.

Its not that the Spurs can't play small ball, they play it very well, I just don't think that strategy is conducive to beating Miami.

We just saw Indiana give Miami fits their size, thats the Heat's weakness as I see it. Unfortunately, I don't think San Antonio can replicate what Indiana did because I don't see Tiago making Miami pay for going small when San Antonio is on offense.

And as much as I love my Dubs, I don't consider them the best small ball team by any means. We were forced to play small out of necessity and ended up with Barnes playing the 4 for the first time all season, you can't compare that to Lebron who's been playing the 4 for a solid year now, something he has become quite adept at, as shown in the Indy series.

Chalmers will be persona-non-grata this series as I think he has zero chance of checking Parker, so watch out for Norris Cole. If he can have any degree of success against TP (a huge undertaking, for sure), I think DWade can lock up Neal pretty effectively.
Its not that the Spurs can't play small ball, they play it very well, I just don't think that strategy is conducive to beating Miami.

We just saw Indiana give Miami fits their size, thats the Heat's weakness as I see it. Unfortunately, I don't think San Antonio can replicate what Indiana did because I don't see Tiago making Miami pay for going small when San Antonio is on offense.

And as much as I love my Dubs, I don't consider them the best small ball team by any means. We were forced to play small out of necessity and ended up with Barnes playing the 4 for the first time all season, you can't compare that to Lebron who's been playing the 4 for a solid year now, something he has become quite adept at, as shown in the Indy series.

Chalmers will be persona-non-grata this series as I think he has zero chance of checking Parker, so watch out for Norris Cole. If he can have any degree of success against TP (a huge undertaking, for sure), I think DWade can lock up Neal pretty effectively.

Chalmers is an excellent finisher and is very crafty in getting to the paint and scoring. I don't think Parker will check him either but Parker is the obvious advantage in this matchup and I think you hit the nail on the head with Cole. Dude is quickly becoming an elite defender at PG. And to my point, MIA is THE elite perimeter defensive team even with a hobbled D Wade. I give the Spurs a shot but I expect a Heat win. When you have a Lebron James and a Eastern Conference battle tested team going up against a defense that doesn't have the physical presence to stop him then you have trouble is you are a Spurs fan. They just don't have the defense necessary to slow MIA down but MIA has the defense to slow SAS down
Lakers fans: Phil Jackson picked Spurs to win the ship.
Yea, that Dallas series was disappointing. Gotta win more chips though...since that's how ppl evaluate players these days. It's silly since this is a team sport, but it is what it is.

Couldn't agree more, sir. Very well put.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Chalmers is an excellent finisher and is very crafty in getting to the paint and scoring. I don't think Parker will check him either but Parker is the obvious advantage in this matchup and I think you hit the nail on the head with Cole. Dude is quickly becoming an elite defender at PG. And to my point, MIA is THE elite perimeter defensive team even with a hobbled D Wade. I give the Spurs a shot but I expect a Heat win. When you have a Lebron James and a Eastern Conference battle tested team going up against a defense that doesn't have the physical presence to stop him then you have trouble is you are a Spurs fan. They just don't have the defense necessary to slow MIA down but MIA has the defense to slow SAS down

You will be surprised how quick Parker is on defense. He is very underrated...unless he's up against a big Guard who can post.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
"I have something in me that they took in '07; beat us on our home floor, celebrated on our home floor. I won't forget that."

Better back that up by playing the best he has ever played. Will need every bit of it against this Spurs team.
"I have something in me that they took in '07; beat us on our home floor, celebrated on our home floor. I won't forget that."

Better back that up by playing the best he has ever played. Will need every bit of it against this Spurs team.

Can't wait! To me, this is more exciting than last year's matchup. Nothing better than watching experienced champions battle for the title.

Can't wait! To me, this is more exciting than last year's matchup. Nothing better than watching experienced champions battle for the title.

Lebron is going to be Lebron and the Heat defense is going to be the better unit, it is just what they do when committed. Heat team has been built on defense since Riley went to South Beach. Spurs used to be until a couple of years ago when they realized they needed to score more out West and play up tempo to Parker's strength. SAS still plays good defense but not elite defense like MIA is capable of and defense wins chips. It doesn't hurt to have a Lebron either. I won't bet against the Spurs because I value my money but I see MIA with too many matchup advantages and it starts with the gross mismatch of Lebron vs any Spurs defender. He is going to get what he wants when he wants and get his teammates going. Spurs are an all time champ and my wife's favorite team but MIA in 6!
Spurs do play elite defense. BTW, what is the exact height diff between the spurs starting 5 vs pacers starting 5, +2?
Spurs do play elite defense. BTW, what is the exact height diff between the spurs starting 5 vs pacers starting 5, +2?

I still can't get over the fact that SAS couldn't match up on the perimeter vs OKC because they didn't have the athleticism but MIA shut them down as I knew they would because of their elite perimeter defenders and now you have the same situation again when once again the Spurs will have to defend vs MIA wings and keep them from penetrating and making plays for themselves or others and racking up fouls on SAS bigs. Maybe SAS can do this, maybe they can't but I just don't see the athleticism to stop Wade, Lebron and Chalmers from penetrating. And Bosh has been taking Tim Duncan to task in the games I have seen them square off so I don't know what SAS does there.

The Pacers had the right athletes to match up with MIA on the perimeter size speed and physicality. Stephenson, George, and Young then you have a physically imposing frontline of Hibbert and West backed up by Mahinmi and Hansbrough. Might I add that out East defense is the emphasis as well as chippy physical play unlike most West squads. Pacers were willing to do the dirty work and make the hard fouls to try to unnerve MIA. SAS doesn't strike me as that type of team but if they try they will get owned by a gutter MIA team.

If you don't stop Lebron from being Lebron, you have no chance. The dude is unreal and he is only getting better year by year. He does everything on the court in at least 4 positions and he does it on both ends of the court at a level unmatched by his peers. SAS has a shot and I have been an admirer of theirs since they drafted Duncan but they won't have it easy and neither will MIA
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jun 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM ]
The Heat-Pacer matchup was fun to watch. I just want to see a good series. DWade is on the downward spiral, too many years going to the basket. The elevation won't be there for an entire series. If Parker has a big series Spurs have a good shot.
I am looking forward to tonights scheme of attack. Should be interesting to see how they attack each other, and if they can gaurd Parker. Also to see if 10 days effects them or not.
Share 49ersWebzone