LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Heat favored by 5.5

I'd be really surprised if Miami lost Game 1. San Antonio just had the longest break possible, and Miami just got out of a very intense series. I think it's hard to simply turn the intensity on after a long break like San Antonio just had, and Miami's already there in that respect.

There is no way San Antonio could match the intensity in practice to equal the ECF.

But the real question is do you think Miami will cover the spread game 1?

Yes, I do.
I think this will be a great series. One of the most interesting ones in years. Heat have to stop Parker, Spurs have to stop LeBron. Wade needs to play better than he has. Future HOFs vs HOFs.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Heat favored by 5.5

I'd be really surprised if Miami lost Game 1. San Antonio just had the longest break possible, and Miami just got out of a very intense series. I think it's hard to simply turn the intensity on after a long break like San Antonio just had, and Miami's already there in that respect.

I agree. I think the Pacers were actually a harder matchup than the Spurs are. Hibbert / West / George are all young (West kinda) and long. Duncan & Ginobili are really old (still effective).

This series will come down to how productive Tony Parker can be. If he can be the best player on the floor, they'll have a chance.

I just don't see a good matchup against LeBron for the Spurs. George played well, especially in Indy.

I think Leonard's just a very small notch below George as a defender, so while LeBron's gonna do his thing, I don't think it's gonna be too different from the ECFs.

I don't think Parker can be the best player on the floor, but by the same token, San Antonio's two best offensive players (Parker & Duncan) both play the positions that Miami has the hardest time defending. IMO, LeBron's defensive talents are going to be a little bit wasted in this series, because SA primarily has spot up shooters at SG, SF, & PF.

Can't disagree with any of this. LeBron may play some spot defense on Parker. And I think Bosh matches up better against Duncan than Hibbert.
Heat favored by 5.5

I agree. I think the Pacers were actually a harder matchup than the Spurs are. Hibbert / West / George are all young (West kinda) and long. Duncan & Ginobili are really old (still effective).

This series will come down to how productive Tony Parker can be. If he can be the best player on the floor, they'll have a chance.

I just don't see a good matchup against LeBron for the Spurs. George played well, especially in Indy.

I think Leonard's just a very small notch below George as a defender, so while LeBron's gonna do his thing, I don't think it's gonna be too different from the ECFs.

I don't think Parker can be the best player on the floor, but by the same token, San Antonio's two best offensive players (Parker & Duncan) both play the positions that Miami has the hardest time defending. IMO, LeBron's defensive talents are going to be a little bit wasted in this series, because SA primarily has spot up shooters at SG, SF, & PF.

Can't disagree with any of this. LeBron may play some spot defense on Parker. And I think Bosh matches up better against Duncan than Hibbert.

You do know Duncan has been one of the top defensive big men in the league this year? He was ahead of Hibbert in blocks in regular season and is right there with him in the post season. Tim can also play further away from the basket compared to Hibbert. Another thing, Also, you may as well call Splitter and Duncan two Centers at 6'11" which is much more size than Hibbert and West.

The one thing the Spurs do well is that they can play any style. Gonna be a very interesting matchup.

Still would rather see Leonard on Wade as the key isn't beating one player, but it's taking out that secondary "X" factor similar to what we did with Klay.
Heat favored by 5.5

There is no way San Antonio could match the intensity in practice to equal the ECF.

But the real question is do you think Miami will cover the spread game 1?

Yes, I do.

I just bet my mom on your advice
I agree dobo. Spurs rusty in the first game, improve after. Heat came off a great game, two days off and still at home. Right timing
Originally posted by dobophile:
Spurs are going to look like s**t in game 1.

Who knows. Too long of a rest and MIA will be in ECF mode with a solid and much needed 2 days rest. Finals are not like any other series where the road team can give away a game. Those 3 consecutive at home make it very difficult for the road team to get home court even if they win one of games 1 and 2.

SA should be very focused considering this format. If anything, they may come out cold in terms of shooting.

Also, I can't recall the last time I have ever seen SA display this type of killer instinct mode. They have a very long and athletic team. So does MIA but overall, SA is a longer team. SA is also a better team than IND and can get physical if it's required.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM ]
heat win in 4-5 F the spurs....mavericks will return next year
Originally posted by Joecool:
Who knows. Too long of a rest and MIA will be in ECF mode with a solid and much needed 2 days rest. Finals are not like any other series where the road team can give away a game. Those 3 consecutive at home make it very difficult for the road team to get home court even if they win one of games 1 and 2.

SA should be very focused considering this format. If anything, they may come out cold in terms of shooting.

Also, I can't recall the last time I have ever seen SA display this type of killer instinct mode. They have a very long and athletic team. So does MIA but overall, SA is a longer team. SA is also a better team than IND and can get physical if it's required.

I dont think SA is that much of a better team than indiana...and remember danny granger wasnt even playing. indiana has the biggest productive center in the league, and i think it gives the heat an advantage because now they dont have to plan for a 7'1 center guarding the paint..they just have to worry about a 6'11 center now. SA beat the grizzlies because zach randolph probably had the worst series ever for a player. The heat are just too talented and their bench depth is nuts...i mean they have ray allen coming off the bench! along with mike miller, birdman, norris cole....i see the heat taking it in 4, maximum 5
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think Duncan and Wade are the key for their teams. If Duncan keeps playing like he is 10 years younger than he is and Wade playing 10 years older it will be Spurs in 7.

i can't predict sh*t.. i have no idea how this series will end up
Originally posted by LBCniner:
Originally posted by Joecool:

I dont think SA is that much of a better team than indiana...and remember danny granger wasnt even playing. indiana has the biggest productive center in the league, and i think it gives the heat an advantage because now they dont have to plan for a 7'1 center guarding the paint..they just have to worry about a 6'11 center now. SA beat the grizzlies because zach randolph probably had the worst series ever for a player. The heat are just too talented and their bench depth is nuts...i mean they have ray allen coming off the bench! along with mike miller, birdman, norris cole....i see the heat taking it in 4, maximum 5

Indiana is a sloppy offensive team. SA is much better than Indiana and Randolph played like crap because he was double teamed often along with the fact that Tim is very healthy. Not sure where you are getting that Hibbert is better than Tim. Check their playoff stats. As for playing against one 7'1" player as apposed to two 6'11" players as being tougher...I'm not sure about that. You may as well call Tim a 7-footer. Also, Tim and Splitter work very well within the flow of the offense whereas Hibbert and West are primarily slow it down post up guys.

Miami is facing one of the most cohesively executing team on the court that can bang or run. It is very difficult for teams to dictate the pace because Spurs can play just about any style.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 4, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
While the Spurs face a significant intensity disadvantage going into Game 1, if I was Spoestra I don't think I'd be too thrilled about the idea of Popovich having 10 days to prepare for me. You gotta figure Pop devoted a good 75% of his prep time to Miami rather than Indiana.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
While the Spurs face a significant intensity disadvantage going into Game 1, if I was Spoestra I don't think I'd be too thrilled about the idea of Popovich having 10 days to prepare for me. You gotta figure Pop devoted a good 75% of his prep time to Miami rather than Indiana.

more like 90%
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by fropwns:
speculation at best. Give the heat credit for their performance in Game 7. Now they face a mighty challenge.

I'm gonna pull a public Garce thing... this guy should get a warning if he keeps up the BS trolling. It is annoying, especially when he post three BS posts in a row.

If it makes you feel any better, I privately Garced him.

What does "Garced" mean? I guess I dont pay close enough attention.
Share 49ersWebzone