There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't begrudge him leaving Cleveland. It was the teaming up with another superstar and another perennial all-star that I thought was really weak.

So Shaq leaving to be with 1 all star is ok, but if its 2 all stars then its weak?

You mean Shaq signing with the Lakers? What all-star are you talking about? Cedric Ceballos? lol

And we're not talking about an all-star...we're talking superstar. Top 5 player in the game. Finals MVP. One of the best SGs ever. Plus another guy who had made 5 consecutive ASGs and was arguably the best offensive big in the game? How does that compare to what Shaq did?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I don't begrudge him leaving Cleveland. It was the teaming up with another superstar and another perennial all-star that I thought was really weak.

It's not weak at all when you look around and see that every team winning the chip had 2 super-stars or a combination of Super-star with 2 all-stars and a lot of talent around them. The only exception was Pistons...who had 5 really good players.
You mean Shaq signing with the Lakers? What all-star are you talking about? Cedric Ceballos? lol

And we're not talking about an all-star...we're talking superstar. Top 5 player in the game. Finals MVP. One of the best SGs ever. Plus another guy who had made 5 consecutive ASGs and was arguably the best offensive big in the game? How does that compare to what Shaq did?

LeBron has taken that team over though. Its his squad. I think a lot of people's opinion has changed on that over the last three years. He doesn't necessarily need Bosh and Wade to carry him, but Bosh and Wade need him.

So, if you're a star FA, are your options to only sign with teams who have no other stars in order to keep respect?

Like Stern said, and others, the NBA has always had stars on the same team. Thats how it is. No star would have stayed in Cleveland the way they were operating. And if you look at the options for Bron during that FA period where should he have gone? Chi Town with Rose (joining another star)?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

It's not weak at all when you look around and see that every team winning the chip had 2 super-stars or a combination of Super-star with 2 all-stars and a lot of talent around them. The only exception was Pistons...who had 5 really good players.

Who should have Bron signed with? That is my question. Another s**t team that isn't the Cavs so it would have been "his team?" I think that is ludicrous.

Neither the '09 nor '10 Lakers won a title with two superstars or a superstar and 2 all-stars and a lot of talent around them. And not only did he sign with a team with 2 superstars, he ALSO had a third guy that was a perennial all-star.

I've never understood why this doesn't grate on your guys' competitive spirit.

Neither the '09 nor '10 Lakers won a title with two superstars or a superstar and 2 all-stars and a lot of talent around them. And not only did he sign with a team with 2 superstars, he ALSO had a third guy that was a perennial all-star.

Anything that keeps Kobe and the Lakers from winning another title is okay in my book
Originally posted by sacniner:
LeBron has taken that team over though. Its his squad. I think a lot of people's opinion has changed on that over the last three years. He doesn't necessarily need Bosh and Wade to carry him, but Bosh and Wade need him.

So, if you're a star FA, are your options to only sign with teams who have no other stars in order to keep respect?

Like Stern said, and others, the NBA has always had stars on the same team. Thats how it is. No star would have stayed in Cleveland the way they were operating. And if you look at the options for Bron during that FA period where should he have gone? Chi Town with Rose (joining another star)?

Of course it's his team, he's the best player in the league. It doesn't change the fact that he willfully teamed up with one of the Top 5 players in the game (who did not NEED LeBron...as evidenced by him being the best player on a title team himself) and a perennial all-star in Bosh.

I don't understand why you guys downplay who he signed with. He didn't sign with a "star", lol. He signed with another superstar AND a perennial all-star. This wasn't Kobe getting traded a really good #2 in Gasol. Dwyane Wade was a superstar who was in his prime and had carried a team to a title. No, I don't expect him to win it by himself, but he went to the completely opposite end of the spectrum. Plus a guy like Bosh? (who's comparable to Gasol) Yikes.

Derrick Rose wasn't a star at the time. He was a good, young player. He had several options. The only one I woulda complained about was the one where he joins another superstar and a perennial all-star. They were the 3 best players on the market that year. I can't be the only person that remembers this.

I hated the signing with Miami somewhat for that reason, but also because I thought Wade and James were just a bad fit to play with each other. But so what? The guy is still one of the greatest of all time in his prime, and you're a fool if you don't appreciate it.
Originally posted by dhp318:

I hated the signing with Miami somewhat for that reason, but also because I thought Wade and James were just a bad fit to play with each other. But so what? The guy is still one of the greatest of all time in his prime, and you're a fool if you don't appreciate it.

Because I think he's a puss for signing with Miami, I can't recognize that he's one of the all time greats?

Because I think he's a puss for signing with Miami, I can't recognize that he's one of the all time greats?

You just watched an all time great postseason run, a ridiculous Finals series, and all you can do is complain about the Decision?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Pau Gasol was not a star in 2009...2010? C'mon man. They had Artest (who averaged 17ppg with Houston the season before and was the same player except was shooting 5 less shots a game and still considered a great perimeter defender), they had Odom (another guy who could average 15 and 10 if played 36 minutes a game) and a budding star in Bynum (who was averaging 15 and 8).

Those Lakers teams were the most talented teams to win championships.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

So Shaq leaving to be with 1 all star is ok, but if its 2 all stars then its weak?

Whoops I thought Eddie Jones made the all star team before he got there.

But had Jones made the all star team before , I'm pretty sure Shaq wouldn't have turned down the offer.

But will never know

You just watched an all time great postseason run, a ridiculous Finals series, and all you can do is complain about the Decision?

I didn't bring the subject up, I merely replied to the topic of conversation that people were discussing. I watched playoffs as closely as anyone. And I'm not sure what "all time great postseason run" you're referring to.

I didn't bring the subject up, I merely replied to the topic of conversation that people were discussing. I watched playoffs as closely as anyone. And I'm not sure what "all time great postseason run" you're referring to.

This was not an all time run. The last all time run was when the Lakers went 16-1. This run was of a team that can't f**ken stay focused.