Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

2013 NBA Finals thread: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Too bad both teams can't lose.
Originally posted by AmpLee:

That's what I'm saying...

I still think it would be optimal for Stern to make that happen. Talk about going out on a boom, Spurs and Heat becoming the first ever NBA Co-Champs...
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Miami in Seven. But man, I can not underestimate the Spurs.

That would make for some extremely exciting television... I think Miami in 6. I think the Pacers represented a better matchup vs the Heat than the Spurs. The Heat really had no answer for Hibbert + West. I think Bosh matches up much better vs. Duncan / Splitter.

I also think the 1 game suspension on the Birdman had a huge impact as well.

This all reminds me of when SA played DET. It was all DET in 6 or 7 because they had the length and had beaten the Lakers the previous year along with a very physical Leastern Conference road to the Finals.

You underestimate the Spurs ability to play physical. This team plays VERY physical ball.

Game 1 is a concern only because no one knows how 9 days rest can affect a team.

And I think you are overestimating the route the Spurs had to get here. They beat the dumpster fire Lakers, the 'Cinderella' Warriors, and overmatched Grizzlies. You're right about the Spurs being a physical team, but the team the Spurs had issues with was the 3pt shooting, athletic team in the Warriors. And the Heat are that and more....

Issues? SA handled the best 3-point shooting team in the playoffs. Then, it was assumed that Memphis' defensive personnel will make it difficult for SA to get open 3's because of MEM backcourt defense and their bigs inside. Now Memphis was considered overmatched but prior to that series everyone was saying the Spurs don't matchup well with Memphis.

Also, SA is a better 3-point shooting team than MIA. Defensively, which team did MIA play that was great at the 3-pointer? SA played the best 3-point shooting team in the playoffs and still was right there with MIA in 3-point defense: SA .336 3P% against, MIA .325 3P% against.

Both teams at equal FG% against: .420.

Did MIA even play an offensive team? SA also leads the playoffs in point differential at +10.1 with MIA second at +9.6. Note: did MIA play an offensive team? You guys played the Bucks, CHI, and IND. Those are definitely not scary offenses.

I know, it's all about matchups. Tony Parker is the key to the Spurs UNLESS, Tim let's it all hang out and forces you guys to double. If you have to double Tim, game over. No player guards Tony one-on-one due to all the screens we run but MIA is best suited to switch on screens and not lose quickness. HOWEVER, SA will run a screen with any player, so we will probably have Tim or Splitter be the screener to get your defense out of position. Guarding TP is not as easy as 1-on-1. AND, if that doesn't work, then we also run TP off many screens without the ball like you would with Ray Allen.

Just as Leflop, TP does not get tired.

hater

Just try to enjoy watching the greatest ever while he is around.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Just try to enjoy watching the greatest ever while he is around.

Greg Popovich?
MIA has a championship defense first and foremost because that has been the emphasis since Riley got there plus they have Lebron. Spurs won't beat the heat four times. It won't happen. Just watch their defense.
OK I'm done being so negative. Even though tonight is going to be a debacle for the rusty old Spurs, I am going to approach the rest of the series with an open mind and a willingness to BELIEVE.
Originally posted by dobophile:
OK I'm done being so negative. Even though tonight is going to be a debacle for the rusty old Spurs, I am going to approach the rest of the series with an open mind and a willingness to BELIEVE.

Too late. You have already protected yourself from being scorned by knowing the Spurs will not win. I, on the hand, will be a nervous wreck during the game.

Believing and hoping are two different things. You should honor your Spurs fandom and remove hope and truly believe they will win.

Too late. You have already protected yourself from being scorned by knowing the Spurs will not win. I, on the hand, will be a nervous wreck during the game.

Believing and hoping are two different things. You should honor your Spurs fandom and remove hope and truly believe they will win.

The Spurs were destined to lose tonight, no matter the opponent. I'm grateful this loss will be on the road against Miami rather than at home against Indiana. That would have been demoralizing.

The Spurs were destined to lose tonight, no matter the opponent. I'm grateful this loss will be on the road against Miami rather than at home against Indiana. That would have been demoralizing.

I actually thought the exact same thing prior to MIA/IND game 7. Wanted MIA to win so Spurs lose Game 1 on the road instead of at home...plus, want the Spurs to play against the "best" rather than a team that's not ready.

I actually thought the exact same thing prior to MIA/IND game 7. Wanted MIA to win so Spurs lose Game 1 on the road instead of at home...plus, want the Spurs to play against the "best" rather than a team that's not ready.

I saw on ESPN that a team with a week + rest is 20 - 9 in game 1. So, I'm not sure what to really think of that. Maybe I heard it wrong.
not excited about the finals at all................

i'm sure that will change after a couple of games
Let the Flop fest begin
Rest vs rust is BS. Best team wins 7 game series. Home court advantage is more relevant