There are 204 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Miami Heat vs. Indiana Pacers ECF Series Thread

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
LeBron James: Statistically Most Clutch Player Since NBA Debut

Per ESPN.com, since LeBron came into the league in 2003-04, nobody in the NBA has made more game-tying and go-ahead shots in the final 24 seconds of playoff games than LeBron, who is 7-of-16 on those shots. His 43.8 field goal percentage on those clutch shots ranks the best in the NBA since his rookie season among players with at least 10 attempts. The league average is 28.3 percent on those shots.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN), LeBron and Ralph Sampson are the only two players in NBA history to register at least 30 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and three blocks in a playoff game.

No one has ever notched a triple-double and hit a buzzer-beating game-winner in the same playoff game—except LeBron.

Interesting but extremely narrow parameters on the data, only counting the final 24 seconds of playoff games, leaving out free throws and turnovers. His two in the final minute tonight wouldn't be counted, nor his two missed free throws a year ago vs. Indiana in the final minute when they were down 1. It's also always seemed to me that unless he has an easy layup opportunity, LeBron too often looks to pass in these situations.
Pacers should be up 2-0.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vaden:
LeBron James: Statistically Most Clutch Player Since NBA Debut

Per ESPN.com, since LeBron came into the league in 2003-04, nobody in the NBA has made more game-tying and go-ahead shots in the final 24 seconds of playoff games than LeBron, who is 7-of-16 on those shots. His 43.8 field goal percentage on those clutch shots ranks the best in the NBA since his rookie season among players with at least 10 attempts. The league average is 28.3 percent on those shots.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau (via ESPN), LeBron and Ralph Sampson are the only two players in NBA history to register at least 30 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists and three blocks in a playoff game.

No one has ever notched a triple-double and hit a buzzer-beating game-winner in the same playoff game—except LeBron.

Interesting but extremely narrow parameters on the data, only counting the final 24 seconds of playoff games, leaving out free throws and turnovers. His two in the final minute tonight wouldn't be counted, nor his two missed free throws a year ago vs. Indiana in the final minute when they were down 1. It's also always seemed to me that unless he has an easy layup opportunity, LeBron too often looks to pass in these situations.

Sure...we should then include everything. His assists, his rebounds, defense, block shots etc. lol @ easy layup...the one on Wednesday was his first easy layup for the win. Tomorrow you'll say, it seems like Lebron usually turns the ball over with game on the line. It may seem to you, but data doesn't back you up. Lebron has been plenty clutch over last few years.

His only blemish was the 2010 Finals against Mavs. One series doesn't define a player as much as ppl want to.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Pacers should be up 2-0.

I wouldn't say that. Ray Allen missed a FT to put game 1 away before George hit a miraculous 3 and was awarded 3 FTs on a play that doesn't get called in playoffs in that situation.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Mad respect for Paul George though. What a fukin' player
Originally posted by robniner:
Pacers should be up 2-0.

I wouldn't say that. Ray Allen missed a FT to put game 1 away before George hit a miraculous 3 and was awarded 3 FTs on a play that doesn't get called in playoffs in that situation.

Very true, but if the Pacers knew how to force a team to make a shot without letting that superstar get an easy layup, then they possibly eek out a win.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Sure...we should then include everything. His assists, his rebounds, defense, block shots etc. lol @ easy layup...the one on Wednesday was his first easy layup for the win. Tomorrow you'll say, it seems like Lebron usually turns the ball over with game on the line. It may seem to you, but data doesn't back you up. Lebron has been plenty clutch over last few years.

His only blemish was the 2010 Finals against Mavs. One series doesn't define a player as much as ppl want to.

I'm open to any data proving that LeBron is clutch. You haven't posted it. You've posted very narrow data that amounts to 16 shots for LeBron over his entire career. Players who took fewer than 10 shots in the same situations were excluded from the comparison. Also, LeBron was 5-14 on those shots over his career - worse than Dirk and Durant - until he got 2 layups in the previous game because Vogel inexplicably sent Hibbert to the bench. That suddenly makes him the "most clutch player in NBA since his debut"? No.
Lol the Heat. GO PACERS
Terrible luck on those turnovers...ugh

Luck?

• 4ML
  • Veteran

I'm open to any data proving that LeBron is clutch. You haven't posted it. You've posted very narrow data that amounts to 16 shots for LeBron over his entire career. Players who took fewer than 10 shots in the same situations were excluded from the comparison. Also, LeBron was 5-14 on those shots over his career - worse than Dirk and Durant - until he got 2 layups in the previous game because Vogel inexplicably sent Hibbert to the bench. That suddenly makes him the "most clutch player in NBA since his debut"? No.

Cool...I'll post his stats after dinner.
Last year, it was pretty apparent that the Pacers matched up well with the Heat, but it's difficult to win when the other team has the best 3 players on the court. This year, Indiana has the 2nd best player in the series, and that might be the difference.

And Lance Stephenson is incredibly entertaining. He reminds me of Manu when he was young. Not in terms of his style of play, but because almost everything he does is either amazing or utterly terrible, with very little in between, and he's really unpredictable.

If the NBA wanted to cancel the rest of the playoffs and just make this a best of 21 series I'd be totally okay with that. This is the most I've been entertained by a non-Lakers series since Boston/Chicago '09.
double post
[ Edited by LA9erFan on May 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Terrible luck on those turnovers...ugh

Luck?

I think 1st one was lucky...I give credit to West for putting his arms up - but Lebron has probably makes that pass 10 times during a game and it never gets deflected and would have hit Ray Allen for an open 3. 2nd one, West played great and Lebron tried to make a tight pass and that got deflected as well. A lot of times defenders extend their arms in the passing lanes and nothing happens. Not taking credit away from West, but 1st turnover was unlucky.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This article was written in Dec. 2012...and 2013 has been Lebron's best year so far, so it doesn't even factor in best 6 months of this career.

Using the standard clutch filters – the last five minutes of the game leading or trailing by no more than five points – in the 369 minutes of high-pressure basketball he has played with Miami, James leads the NBA with a player efficiency rating of 34.8, regular season and playoffs. We don't need to name names here, but think of any player and James has been more efficient late in close games, and that's using a metric that doesn't fully factor in defensive talents that almost won him a Defensive Player of the Year award a season ago.

http://www.nba.com/heat/news_recap/lebron-james-clutch

Now, the stats for this season:

In the 30 minutes of clutch time that James has played for Miami in 2012-13, he's performing above his typical averages virtually across the board. He's averaging 34.8 points on 63 percent shooting to go with 10.8 rebounds, 9.6 assists and 9.6 free-throw attempts.

He's averaging a triple double in clutch...and no one else is even close.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on May 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone