LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Preakness Selection

If you followed my advice on the Derby you cashed in at 5-1 on ORB. I know Webzoners, who cares! I used to be into the sport in another incarnation and this year has peaked my interest.

On to the Preakness the second jewel of the triple crown culminating with the Belmont Stakes in 3 weeks. The Preakness is run at Pimlico in Baltimore and is at the distance of a mile and three sixteenths. The track is 70 feet wide compared to Churchill Downs which is 80 feet wide. The length of the stretch is 1152 feet compared with CD which is 1235 feet. A difference of 83 feet. The turns are tighter and speed holds up better at Pimlico. The Derby had 19 starters so there was plenty of chance to be knocked out of the race at any point. There will be 9 starters in the Preakness. Here is my analysis for the contenders.

Departure - missed the Derby was beaten handily by Orb in the Florida Derby.
Mylute - Ridden by female jockey Rosie Napravnik, came in 5th in the Derby despite traffic problems. Will be over bet. The jock is as good as the boys.
Oxbow - 6th in the Derby trained by one of the greatest trainers of all time D. Wayne Lukas. Will be in the mix but I don't believe has enough closing kick.
Itsmyluckyday - Could be.

Last but not least Orb, the reason I'm doing this post is because of this horse. Solid favorite at even money. IMO a Super Horse that will win the Triple Crown. Affirmed was the last Triple Crown winner 35 years ago.
So, obviously you're betting Orb to win. Are you betting any exotics? I'm thinking of betting Orb on top and possibly mixing in Departing with Oxbow, Will Take Charge or Governor Charlie on a Trifecta bet.

I don't bet on horses but only at Triple Crown time. It's just a whole lot of fun.
I gave up betting decades ago. I like Mylute to be in the money. The greatest feat I ever saw in sports was Secretariat winning the Belmont Stakes in 1973. When he pulled away on the far turn he was no longer running in that race, he was running into history past the greatest horses that ever ran. His race was 10 lengths faster than any horse that had ever won the race. Anytime I watch a Belmont Stakes my mind is remembering that race knowing that it will never be seen again.
Got cut off and couldn't recover.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Got cut off and couldn't recover.

Only two horses have won from the one post position in years. As I said it's a speed favoring track. Oxbow (one of my contenders) had an uncontested lead and the jock, Gary Stevens, said he knew the race was over at the half mile pole. I was around thoroughbreds in my youth, the game breaks your heart.
I will go with Oxbow. Bet him big.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I gave up betting decades ago. I like Mylute to be in the money. The greatest feat I ever saw in sports was Secretariat winning the Belmont Stakes in 1973. When he pulled away on the far turn he was no longer running in that race, he was running into history past the greatest horses that ever ran. His race was 10 lengths faster than any horse that had ever won the race. Anytime I watch a Belmont Stakes my mind is remembering that race knowing that it will never be seen again.

The big thing was he ran the first 3/4 of a mile in 1:09, most horses could not even run another 1/4 mile if they were going that fast. It was an amazing performance.
Share 49ersWebzone