LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Kentucky Derby Selection

Fresno county!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think the sport needs another triple crown winner, but hopefully not this year. The derby was won in 2:03 and change slowest in the last 40 years. So if California Chrome wins the next two legs he gets hailed as the first triple crown winner in over 35 years, yet he really isn't anything special because of the weak crop. Kind of like the guy who wins the NFL preseason rushing title.
Originally posted by BobS:
I think the sport needs another triple crown winner, but hopefully not this year. The derby was won in 2:03 and change slowest in the last 40 years. So if California Chrome wins the next two legs he gets hailed as the first triple crown winner in over 35 years, yet he really isn't anything special because of the weak crop. Kind of like the guy who wins the NFL preseason rushing title.

In 2004 Smarty Jones won the Derby in 2:04 and then won the preakness and came in 2nd at the belmont. I thought CA Chrome was so far ahead that it didn't go full out the last stretch.

Now you're racist against horses?

GO HORSE
Go Chrome!!!
THATS MY HORSE YAY HORSE
  • BobS
  • Veteran
That was like the 30th fastest Preakness since it has been contested at 1 3/16 miles. That and if you projected out the final 3/16 it would equal a quarter in 25 3/5. Better horses than him have failed to with the Triple Crown in the Belmont. Somebody will beat him in the Belmont, modern thoroughbreds are not bred to run 1 1/2 miles, but someone has to stagger home on top.
That was like the 30th fastest Preakness since it has been contested at 1 3/16 miles. That and if you projected out the final 3/16 it would equal a quarter in 25 3/5. Better horses than him have failed to with the Triple Crown in the Belmont. Somebody will beat him in the Belmont, modern thoroughbreds are not bred to run 1 1/2 miles, but someone has to stagger home on top.

you must be fun at parties

How dare you speak about Americas horse that way
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

How dare you speak about Americas horse that way
I don't pay attention to what any of the network talking heads that know little about horse racing have to say. None of them tell it like it is and want to hype up the hope of a Triple Crown winner to boast ratings. To say this is a weak crop of 3 year olds is an understatement. That is what California Chrome has going for him. Since Affirmed last won the Triple Crown eleven horses have won the first two legs and lost the Belmont. Like I said because American horses aren't bred to run 1 1/2 miles almost anyone can win the Belmont. Also horses are not raced as frequently as days gone by, 3 long races in a five week period is very stressful on them.
That puts California Chrome at a disadvantage against a fresh horse.

I've been doing a Kentucky Derby thread the past few years, but not this year. I was around race horses at one point of my life and you fall in love with them. I used to groom a horse named Timely, but that's a story for another day. The Belmont Stakes is known as the Test Of Champions, these horses will run a mile and half once in their lives and this is it. What I saw in the Preakness was that California Chrome was challenged the last 1/8th mile. I'd love to see a Triple Crown but the breeding shows in that last 1/4 mile. He'll have the lead at the top of the stretch but they will be flying at him the last 1/16th. There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978 so bet on Chrome at your own risk. In 1976 Bold Forbes won the Derby and the Belmont Stakes, he was known as the Puerto Rican Rolls Royce. He was strictly a sprinter but the great rider Angel Cordero literally used his strength to carry him to the finish line by a narrow head, best ride I've ever witnessed.
wont win

hope he does, but he wont
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I've been doing a Kentucky Derby thread the past few years, but not this year. I was around race horses at one point of my life and you fall in love with them. I used to groom a horse named Timely, but that's a story for another day. The Belmont Stakes is known as the Test Of Champions, these horses will run a mile and half once in their lives and this is it. What I saw in the Preakness was that California Chrome was challenged the last 1/8th mile. I'd love to see a Triple Crown but the breeding shows in that last 1/4 mile. He'll have the lead at the top of the stretch but they will be flying at him the last 1/16th. There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978 so bet on Chrome at your own risk. In 1976 Bold Forbes won the Derby and the Belmont Stakes, he was known as the Puerto Rican Rolls Royce. He was strictly a sprinter but the great rider Angel Cordero literally used his strength to carry him to the finish line by a narrow head, best ride I've ever witnessed.
Cordero was probably one of the smartest most perceptive jockeys to ever sit on a horse. He came to Santa Anita to ride in the winter meet in 1986, I had been going to Santa Anita since 1979 and never saw him there. On his second mount of the day he comes out of the gate whipping his horse (I am thinking what is this East Coast guy doing?) He wired the field on a horse that would have been called a stalker at best. The next 3 weeks there was a strong speed bias. Cordero was aware of it and rode accordingly before anyone else did, even though the Eastern tracks he rode at rarely favored speed.
This horse is gonna prove you guys wrong yet again and get that triple crown
My trifecta

NyQUIST
My Man Sam
Mor Spirit
Share 49ersWebzone