There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2012-2013 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

Awesome.

C'mon, D-Wade. lol
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I thought seeing OKC recently would be evidence of how valuable Westbrook is, not evidence that they gotta trade him so the team gets worse while Durant gets more touches. He's one of the best guys in the league at driving to the hoop (9.3 drives per game, 3rd best in the league), only shoots on about half of his drives (well below average for a guard), and only turns the ball over 5% of the time. He's a guy who compromises the defense on a regular basis, and OKC's offense is hurt tremendously by him being out.

Championships aren't won by "real PGs" very often. In the last 20 years, most of the PGs that have won the titles have either been spot up shooters that didn't run the offense (Armstrong, Paxson, Harper, Fisher, Chalmers = 12 titles), or score-first PGs (Cassell/Smith, Parker, Billups = 5 titles). The only true PGs who have won in the last 20 years were Avery Johnson in '99, Rajon Rondo in '08, and Jason Kidd in '11.

You can absolutely win a title with a guy like Westbrook. The only reason he doesn't have a ring already is because they ran into a better team that didn't have a true PG.

You don't think Parker is in the true PG category? I know he can is a very strong scorer, especially taking to the hole. But he also has a lot of games that he plays "true PG"
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
You don't think Parker is in the true PG category? I know he can is a very strong scorer, especially taking to the hole. But he also has a lot of games that he plays "true PG"

I think he's become more of a true PG over time, but in the '03, '05, & '07 titles he was more of a scorer than a distributor.

Finals Stats

2003: 14.2ppg, 4.2apg
2005: 13.9ppg, 3.4apg
2007: 24.5ppg, 3.3apg (Finals MVP)

He didn't average 6apg in the playoffs once during their title runs.
I like this a*****ey version of LeBron much more than what he was like when he was younger.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Of course, we all want Durant to take more shots. Durant takes good shots in the flow of the game during the first 3 quarters and is able to impose his will in the 4th quarter because of that. He doesn't have to go at 110% for the first 3 quarters. As Westbrook matures, he will learn to take better shots, but his aggressiveness makes OKC very lethal. He impacts the game in a way Durant just can not, and few can in the league.

I don't think Durant is all that better without Westbrook either. Outside of 1 game, he has shot the ball at his average or below. His assists are up and so are the turnovers. He isn't as great in the 4th either because he is getting a little tired and defenses can focus solely on him.

The current OKC offense is built around Durant. It lacks a punch against a good team because he is not a great passer or a ball-handler. I'm not sure if there are any pure PGs in the game today that will make the current offense any better. They are 3-3 since Westbrook went out...and they got outscored in that 4th quarter as well when Westbrook got hurt. Durant needs a ball-dominant PG or SG on his team. Westbrook is that guy. He has flaws in his game, just like any other player but he compliments Durant really well, IMO.

I don't think any player who takes more shots than Durant would compliment him really well. Durant is playing far better without Westbrook, even despite facing tougher defense and having to work a lot more to create his own shots. His 3 pt. shooting% is down but he's driving to the basket a lot more, averaging 3 more fts, 5.5 more shots, 2.6 more rebounds a game, stats only slightly inflated by him playing 5 more minutes a game. It's a small sample size and he'll likely start wearing down, but imagine what he could do with a good PG who looks to pass more than shoot and encourages Durant to assert himself. It's not going to happen, but I think OKC would be way better with Chris Paul than Westbrook.
I like this a*****ey version of LeBron much more than what he was like when he was younger.

Yes, the stare down/killer instinct version. But not the Check My $tat$/dancing version, that guy's just a douche.
With as good as Miami's defense is, Chicago could really use a guy who could create his own shot as the clock winds down. If only they had someone like that on their roster.

I've lost so much respect for D-Rose this year.
Ugh at me starting to like LeBron. I'm having an identity crisis. I appreciate him cooling off the b***hassness of the last few minutes just now and understanding that that's just a playoff foul.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Love this intensity from both teams.

Very entertaining. I'm supposed to be doing a research paper right now and I'm barely able to get anything done.

Very entertaining. I'm supposed to be doing a research paper right now and I'm barely able to get anything done.

Ahhh I'm in class I'm missing the game NOOO
I like this, old school ball.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Ahhh I'm in class I'm missing the game NOOO

5 technicals, 1 flagrant so far, with 8 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

Miami's gonna win this in a blowout though, IMO.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Get Lebron back in the game!!!!!