LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

2012-2013 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Rudy Gay has shot over 45% for his career, and this is the first year he has shot poorly since his rookie year.

One series doesn't determine the clutch-ness

Being clutch is kind of an opinion. To each their own. In one game last year he missed two game winners so take that for what it's worth.
Why do you think so? He is super clutch and is a pretty damn good scorer. Memphis' only weakness right now is not able to score enough points at the other end.

He's a very talented player who is a poor decision maker that wastes far too many possessions. They're a more efficient offensive team since they traded him, and their record's better as well. He's similar to Monta Ellis, IMO.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Why do you think so? He is super clutch and is a pretty damn good scorer. Memphis' only weakness right now is not able to score enough points at the other end.

He's a very talented player who is a poor decision maker that wastes far too many possessions. They're a more efficient offensive team since they traded him, and their record's better as well. He's similar to Monta Ellis, IMO.

I agree, this year he has shot the ball poorly.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Rudy Gay has shot over 45% for his career, and this is the first year he has shot poorly since his rookie year.

One series doesn't determine the clutch-ness

Being clutch is kind of an opinion. To each their own. In one game last year he missed two game winners so take that for what it's worth.

From 2006 to March 2012:

Rudy Gay is among one of the best clutch performers with under a minute remaining in the 4th quarter/OT. He's 25-56 FG with 11 assisted shots. Gay, along with Deron Williams and Brandon Roy are the only players to shoot above 40%, which was 6% higher than the average. Here are a few key players listed for this stat:

Durant 25-78 (32%)
Rose 16-58 (27%)
Lebron 35-91 (38%)
Kobe 35-94 (37%)

In the final 24 seconds since 2006 to March 2012, Rudy is 4th in efficiency, shooting 16-41FG (39%) and 5-15 3P (33%). The only players ahead of him are Brandon Roy, Ray Allen and Deron Williams.

It goes beyond that though. When he gets an offensive touch, his team doesn't score as much as when he doesn't. He's an iso player who doesn't pass the ball particularly well, and uses a lot of possessions running really low-efficiency plays.

Remember a couple of years back when the Grizzlies upset San Antonio without Gay? Then they lost to the Clippers with him, and then beat them this year without him. It's not a coincidence. He's a net negative as a ball player because he isn't particularly smart.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

It goes beyond that though. When he gets an offensive touch, his team doesn't score as much as when he doesn't. He's an iso player who doesn't pass the ball particularly well, and uses a lot of possessions running really low-efficiency plays.

Remember a couple of years back when the Grizzlies upset San Antonio without Gay? Then they lost to the Clippers with him, and then beat them this year without him. It's not a coincidence. He's a net negative as a ball player because he isn't particularly smart.

He is an iso player, but he is also someone that can help them when the really need a basket in late game situations. I've not looked up the statistics, but you're probably right about the offense being better without Gay. He doesn't have a well rounded offensive game and that has stunted his growth. It's just, couple of times in the post-season I've seen them struggle on offense and it seems like they don't have a go-to guy.

But yea...they are playing really well right now. I think they have a good shot at beating OKC.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on May 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM ]
He is an iso player, but he is also someone that can help them when the really need a basket in late game situations. I've not looked up the statistics, but you're probably right about the offense being better without Gay. He doesn't have a well rounded offensive game and that has stunted his growth. It's just, couple of times in the post-season I've seen them struggle on offense and it seems like they don't have a go-to guy.

But yea...they are playing really well right now. I think they have a good shot at beating OKC.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
^^^

It will be interesting to see how he does against OKC when Grizzlies really need a basket.

I think that he is a guy that can create his own shot, but not a go-to guy. Memphis lacks someone where you can go, "okay, there's 7 seconds left on the shot clock, what we just ran didn't work, and we need you to create something out of this." Gay was that guy for them, and he's one of the better guys in the league in that respect. They miss him on those kind of plays. The problem is that with Gay you also get a guy who takes away the chance of having a good possession in those first 17 seconds far too often, IMO. If they could have kept Gay and not run their offense through him that would have been ideal, but that's never how it worked out.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I think that he is a guy that can create his own shot, but not a go-to guy. Memphis lacks someone where you can go, "okay, there's 7 seconds left on the shot clock, what we just ran didn't work, and we need you to create something out of this." Gay was that guy for them, and he's one of the better guys in the league in that respect. They miss him on those kind of plays. The problem is that with Gay you also get a guy who takes away the chance of having a good possession in those first 17 seconds far too often, IMO. If they could have kept Gay and not run their offense through him that would have been ideal, but that's never how it worked out.

Yea, that's how I'd describe Rudy as well. I think against a team like Miami - they would run into that situation often. But, yea - there are cons with him as well. He isn't a kind of player who always makes the right play or makes his team-mates better.

^^^

It will be interesting to see how he does against OKC when Grizzlies really need a basket.

Yea it will.

A good thing though is that with the grizzlies system they shouldn't need that one person to do it all. It's a combined effort IMO.

Marc Gasol, Randolph, Conley and Bayless could all have the ball at the end of games for them.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
^^^

Yea it will.

A good thing though is that with the grizzlies system they shouldn't need that one person to do it all. It's a combined effort IMO.

Marc Gasol, Randolph, Conley and Bayless could all have the ball at the end of games for them.

Good point. Gotta win today's game. It gets harder to come back from 0-2 deficit as you move up in playoffs.
What's with all this Gay bashing in here?
  • Tman
  • Veteran
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Okc just ain't the same without Westbrook
Share 49ersWebzone