LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

2013 Oakland A's thread

Our offense stalled once again tonight after the first inning. This one was a tough one to swallow.
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
smh Doolittle

Dude went full gas can.
This has crossed my mind over the past few weeks. I know that Cespedes has a high motor. Dude can be a force if he's not flailing at nasty curve balls. But I need more energy from the guy.

Reddick couldn't hit it in a whorehouse this season...but his glove has been Incredible. Coco is scuffling and hurt, but his defense has been sparkling. Cespedes has played decent defense this year. The play to throw out Swish at 2nd base on Sunday was Awesome. But I just don't see much passion and leadership from the dude. Last night's tough defensive plays were two that arguably could/should have been made. But on both, I felt that either a) he's hurting or b)his head isn't in the right place.

Sure, he doesn't speak English...I know...but neither did Ichiro during his first 5-6 seasons in Seattle. He was still seen as the clubhouse leader of that ball club.

Cespedes is, by far, our most talented player. For us to go anywhere offensively (as exhibited last season), he has to lock in for the next 5+ weeks.
[ Edited by DaDDieO on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Originally posted by DaDDieO:
This has crossed my mind over the past few weeks. I know that Cespedes has a high motor. Dude can be a force if he's not flailing at nasty curve balls. But I need more energy from the guy.

Reddick couldn't hit it in a whorehouse this season...but his glove has been Incredible. Coco is scuffling and hurt, but his defense has been sparkling. Cespedes has played decent defense this year. The play to throw out Swish at 2nd base on Sunday was Awesome. But I just don't see much passion and leadership from the dude. Last night's tough defensive plays were two that arguably could/should have been made. But on both, I felt that either a) he's hurting or b)his head isn't in the right place.

Sure, he doesn't speak English...I know...but neither did Ichiro during his five 5-6 seasons in Seattle. He was still seen as the clubhouse leader of that ball club.

Cespedes is, by far, our most talented player. For us to go anywhere offensively (as exhibited last season), he has to lock in for the next 5+ weeks.

He got all fat, happy, & lazy once his family finally got to the US...guess it's time for Beane to hint he's going to ship them back to Cuba since Cespedes apparently plays better when he's worried and desperate.

That HR Derby was on a Monday, wish they would've traded him on Tuesday when his stock was as high as it's going to get, at least with the A's. He'd be a good fit in Miami, so Cespedes for Stanton might work. Or Fernandez if the Marlins GM happens to be drunk.
I got out of seeing The Lone Ranger ($1.50 at local second run theater - and complete garbage of a movie) only to see on my phone what was happening in the 8th inning and said to myself "Well, there's a game I'm glad I missed."
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM ]

Sure, he doesn't speak English...I know...but neither did Ichiro during his five 5-6 seasons in Seattle. He was still seen as the clubhouse leader of that ball club.

I kinda agree. He half-asses too much. There's so many times where he hits a ball to the high and far and he just walks and it ends up being a single off the wall or lands in the gap and he's still at 1st base. He doesn't hustle at all.

I dont mind him not being the leader, everyone says he's a quiet guy, but I just hate how he doesn't give 110% like other players do.
Johnny Gomes was our leader last year, not bringing him back was a mistake. We chose to give Chris Young 8 mill for 1 year of the same job as Gomes who got 10 mill for 2 years with the sox. I know Gomes isn't a star or anything but his leadership made a big difference last year for a team with 15 rookies.
Gomes > Young in such a no brainer in retrospect.
Yeah, hearing that he came to Toronto a day early to watch us play (and actually root us on against a divisional rival) speaks volumes. He wanted to return. Beane chose otherwise. I think that he was too clutch to let go of.
Yoenis must be trolling thru the Webzone...he's slapped out two doubles today vs Iwakuma
Yoenis must be trolling thru the Webzone...he's slapped out two doubles today vs Iwakuma

Man this team sucks with RISP. Probably going to lose today, once again losing a series to the freaking Mariners. A terrible homestand against mediocre-at-best teams, and now a murderous stretch of 13 games, including 7 on the road vs Orioles and Tigers..if they're within 5 games of 1st after this stretch they'll have to consider themselves lucky.
Sh** is gettin REAL out here, son. Somebody...anybody...please get hot
We are 6-10 vs Seattle. Guess who we play during the last series of the regular season? Yup.
Jane Lee@JaneMLB

Since the break, A's are batting .195 (50-for-257) with RISP. Only Twins have lower mark (.177) in AL.
[ Edited by DaDDieO on Aug 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM ]
Welp...here we go...

Jane Lee@JaneMLB

A's are 15-16 since the break, and their next four series are against the Orioles, Tigers, Rays and Rangers.
Share 49ersWebzone