There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Oakland A's thread

Trading Weeks for Johnson is a steal for the A's, they needed a closer, they got one. As far as Kazmir, Colon is gone, that much is clear, Kazmir is a guy on the upswing again after basically leaving baseball completely. Yes, his numbers on their face don't look all that impressive but he's a guy who was progressing doing better, he started to get his fastball back again and he's still fairly young, I feel like he'll be another guy that makes Beane look like a genius after the fact. I could see him having a very good season playing in the league's most uber-pitcher friendly park.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,052
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Trading Weeks for Johnson is a steal for the A's, they needed a closer, they got one. As far as Kazmir, Colon is gone, that much is clear, Kazmir is a guy on the upswing again after basically leaving baseball completely. Yes, his numbers on their face don't look all that impressive but he's a guy who was progressing doing better, he started to get his fastball back again and he's still fairly young, I feel like he'll be another guy that makes Beane look like a genius after the fact. I could see him having a very good season playing in the league's most uber-pitcher friendly park.

Hope so man
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Hope so man

A's stay in O.co Coliseum for two more years, thwarting the AT&T Park idea

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/oakland-coliseum-will-remain-as-home-through-2015?ymd=20131125&content_id=64206976&vkey=news_mlb
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Timmy got overpaid obviously but that was as much of a marketing move as it was a baseball move. Giants fans love Timmy and they couldnt imagine him going elsewhere. With Kazmir ..... I have not a clue how he got that much. But, what makes it even worse is that they didnt need to go out and get a SP and could have used their tight budget on bats. Hell, they could have given up marginal prospects and gotten Fister and saved tons of money.

Beane is a smart guy but to me this is a strange move.

Yea, i don't like the move either for the A's. It boggles my mind on what that time is trying to do. Oh well, not my money and certainly not my team.
"For nearly five years, the A's have been waiting word on the findings of a three-man committee appointed by Commissioner Bud Selig to explore potential locations for a new stadium."

Its a f**king joke.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"For nearly five years, the A's have been waiting word on the findings of a three-man committee appointed by Commissioner Bud Selig to explore potential locations for a new stadium."

Its a f**king joke.

let them build in oakland.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,052
Michael Choice for Craig Gentry

I dont even know what to think anymore, all I can say is In Billy I Trust
And strong rumors that Anderson is about to be traded, too. So far, me likey. Billy is going all-in. Let's hope we get some infield power/defense for Anderson.
Not big on the Michael Choice trade. He's not going to be a star but I'd say there's a good chance he equals or outperforms Gentry, plus he's under team control for a longer time and younger. I guess they didn't feel comfortable with his defense in CF.
We traded Choice for a bag of peanuts. Why not just play him in the outfield and get his offensive production?
Originally posted by socalfan21:
We traded Choice for a bag of peanuts. Why not just play him in the outfield and get his offensive production?

Chad Gentry and Josh Lindblom aren't a bag of peanuts. Fact is that Choice wasn't just regarded all that highly by scouts around MLB. I happen to like Choice quite a bit and Choice has higher upside than Gentry but also a lower floor. Plus Gentry is a plus defender in CF which is important with our flyball pitching staff and given Crisp's tendency to get knicked up easily. While Choice can play CF, it's a stretch for him and he'd probably be no better than slightly below average playing there. Kind of like Reddick is when he plays CF.Plus Gentry is an established MLB player while Choice is a rookie subject to a learning curve. For a team trying to win now this is an important consideration.

It's pretty clear this team has a 2 year window before we blow this current version up and rebuild again.
and Here. We. Go.

Another trade just came through. Traded Seth Smith to the Padres for RP Luke Gregerson. He's been an excellent setup man for 5 years. I like this move a lot.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
We traded Choice for a bag of peanuts. Why not just play him in the outfield and get his offensive production?


Yeah, for as high as the organization seemed to be on Choice this is a head-scratcher...also not sure about $10M for Jim Johnson, I know Weeks had burned his bridges here but thought they might give Cook another shot or even Doolittle and spend some money on a bat. But Beane hits on more than he misses and still early-December so we'll see what happens.
If nothing else, this has been an entertaining 2 days to say the least. Things are materializing rapidly and Beane isn't done.

I could still see some reconfiguring in the middle infield, maybe adding a LH mashing 1st baseman, and maybe an upgrade at Catcher as well.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home