There are 169 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Oakland A's thread

Originally posted by DaDDieO:
Russell finished the season at Sacramento. If he gets hot during spring training, it wouldn't be surprised if he's given a shot.

I guess technically he did but Russell spent the vast majority of the season in Advanced A ball and in 3 games in AA he was 1/13 with 9K's and no BB. Odds are he starts the year in AA. Doubt we see him in Oakland in 2014 at all.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Rumors that Cardinals are interested in Jed Lowrie

They have a lot to trade

I hope the A's don't trade Lowrie. I feel like 2014 is the last year in our window to compete with this current core before we have to start trading off everybody and rebuild. Keep Lowrie, if he performs well make him a qualifying offer (which he will surely turn down if he has a good year) and take the Comp Picks.

You won't care when this guy arrives

He's not going to be ready until 2015 at the earliest. He spent the entire year in A+.
I hope the A's don't trade Lowrie. I feel like 2014 is the last year in our window to compete with this current core before we have to start trading off everybody and rebuild. Keep Lowrie, if he performs well make him a qualifying offer (which he will surely turn down if he has a good year) and take the Comp Picks.

I don't mind selling Lowrie while his stock is high. His defense is horrible anyways, but he was very solid with the bat

Wonder what the cardinals would give for him

I don't mind selling Lowrie while his stock is high. His defense is horrible anyways, but he was very solid with the bat

He may be suspect with the glove, but who exactly would we replace him with?
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Nov 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM ]

The Cards wouldnt give up one of their top young pitchers like Miller, Rosenthal, Martinez, Waccha for him. I could see Lance Lynn perhaps but the A's really dont need starting pitching anyway. Maybe Kolten Wong for Lowrie.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The Cards wouldnt give up one of their top young pitchers like Miller, Rosenthal, Martinez, Waccha for him. I could see Lance Lynn perhaps but the A's really dont need starting pitching anyway. Maybe Kolten Wong for Lowrie.

Miller for Lowrie and Brett Anderson
Nick Punto signed to a 1 year deal

Lowrie speculation continues
http://www.twinkietown.com/2013/1/4/3833034/an-oral-history-of-nick-punto-sliding-headfirst-into-first-base

Get used to a lot of this...

Nelson Cruz???

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24227411/as-are-a-darkhorse-in-the-nelson-cruz-derby-mariners-mets-also-in

He may be suspect with the glove, but who exactly would we replace him with?

He's not a Gold Glover by any stretch, but one thing he did consistently throughout the year was bail out guys making bad throws to second, particularly 1B when they're trying to go 3-6-3...for as lacking as he might be in range, etc., he does have a knack for picking throws in the dirt.

"@JohnSheaHey: Hudson: #athletics interest was "challenging," made him "emotional," praised Beane, but said #sfgaints were right fit, staying in NL"

"@JohnSheaHey: Hudson: #athletics interest was "challenging," made him "emotional," praised Beane, but said #sfgaints were right fit, staying in NL"

Maybe he likes getting pulled in the 5th inning for a double-switch.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Maybe he likes getting pulled in the 5th inning for a double-switch.

NL is just easier to pitch in with the pitcher batting, that's obvious.. I don't blame him
A's signed Scott kazmir to a 2 year 22 million deal
Gray
Parker
Anderson
Kazmir
Milone
Griffin
Straily

This means were not resigning Colon obviously, and probably trading Brett Anderson too

That's a good amount of money for the A's, why not spend it on a hitter? Kazmir isn't terrible but I think it all depends on what we get for Anderson
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]