There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Oakland A's thread

• A-R-S
  • Veteran
Who is surprised? Lack of hitting with RISP has been the achilles' heel of this team for, literally, the past 10 years.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Who is surprised? Lack of hitting with RISP has been the achilles' heel of this team for, literally, the past 10 years.

Could easily have won today or game 1 with a single or even sac fly
I'm told national writers in #Rays pressbox already complaining about trip to Detroit for #ALCS. No faith in #Athetics vs Verlander. #Tigers

— Kevin Gehl (@KevinGehlWLNS) October 9, 2013

LOL
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

Yeah thats my point. They've never been able to get the big hit.... ever.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

Yeah thats my point. They've never been able to get the big hit.... ever.

Who cares about the hit. All they needed was contact on bases loaded no outs.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
I'm told national writers in #Rays pressbox already complaining about trip to Detroit for #ALCS. No faith in #Athetics vs Verlander. #Tigers

LOL

What a way for them to look towards the future, especially since their team threw it all away starting with one pitch.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Someone explain to me that HR? I thought the rule was pretty cut and dry. If a fan reaches into the field of play that is fan interference and the HR should not have counted. Not that they go to replay and then try to decide whether it still would have gone out or the A's player could have caught it without the fan reaching out.

Such interference often occurs when a spectator in the first row of seats reaches onto the field to attempt to grab a fair or foul fly ball. If the umpire judges that the fielder could have caught the ball over the field (i.e., the ball would have not crossed over the plane of the wall), he will rule the batter out on spectator interference.

they determined that the ball would have landed over the yellow line even if the fan never touched it = HR

lol at the timing of his jump, he had time to find the wall and jump straight up, prob would have caught it
Originally posted by robniner:

LOL

What a way for them to look towards the future, especially since their team threw it all away starting with one pitch.

National writers bro not rays writers.
Well more good news. Besides having to face Verlander, who I believe is 3-0 career vs A's in postseason and had the no-decision on Saturday where he struck out about 50, they have to deal with him with an extra hour of shadows because the start time was moved up from 6:07 to 5:07. When Boston won their series last night, MLB then decided to move up OAK-DET so that it would be an 8:07 start in the east.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Someone explain to me that HR? I thought the rule was pretty cut and dry. If a fan reaches into the field of play that is fan interference and the HR should not have counted. Not that they go to replay and then try to decide whether it still would have gone out or the A's player could have caught it without the fan reaching out.

Such interference often occurs when a spectator in the first row of seats reaches onto the field to attempt to grab a fair or foul fly ball. If the umpire judges that the fielder could have caught the ball over the field (i.e., the ball would have not crossed over the plane of the wall), he will rule the batter out on spectator interference.

they determined that the ball would have landed over the yellow line even if the fan never touched it = HR

lol at the timing of his jump, he had time to find the wall and jump straight up, prob would have caught it

I think its clearly a homerun.

LOL

Oops

Could not resist when I saw Rays.

Writers not to be so overconfident since Verlander has been human this season.

LOL

Oops

Could not resist when I saw Rays.

Writers not to be so overconfident since Verlander has been human this season.

For all of May and then a few starts here and there after that, he was human. But from pretty much June on he was getting back to form, and down the stretch in Sept he was back to being nasty and dominant. He was only 1-2, but that was with a 2.27 ERA and he had 3 No-Decisions where he had 20 IP, gave up ZERO runs, 28 Ks. And then we saw what he did to the A's last Saturday...and it won't help they'll have to face him in the shadows with a 5pm start.

That said, we know the combination of his stuff plus the A's knack for striking out will mean a lot of K's. The siliver lining in that is that if they can at least work the count on those AB's, mix in some hits/BB, then he's throwing a lot of pitches. He had no CGs this year, so if the A's can make this dude work and get that pitch count up, they might be able to get into that Tiger bully by say the 6th inning. If that happens and Colon (or Gray?) are matching him and putting zero's up on the board, then I think the A's have a very good shot at winning.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
You have to wonder

Will a Maddon like format be used, by either team, when it comes to pitchers with a trip to the LCS on the line?
You have to wonder

Will a Maddon like format be used, by either team, when it comes to pitchers with a trip to the LCS on the line?

Oh. I'm sure Leyland will pull Verlander in the 2nd inning if he loads the bases.
  • IT21
  • Veteran
Sonny Gray announced starter for game 5

Can't wait