There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 Oakland A's thread

Congrats to the A's!
Good luck in the post season!
Honestly, I am not that upset about the 49ers loss. The A's winning the division more than made up for it today. This is awesome!
Since all the attention was focused on the A's winning the division, I blame them for the Niners sucking
Woo-hoo! Division champs! It's nice having a team worthy of my viewing time.

A's now need to try to keep the 2nd seed or surpass Boston for the 1st seed. Right now we are 1.5 games back of Boston and 2 games in front of Detroit.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Honestly, I am not that upset about the 49ers loss. The A's winning the division more than made up for it today. This is awesome!

this
I really dont care about the niners right now, Im excited for October
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:

this

Same here! I'm fully behind this HARD-WORKING squad of class guys and over-achievers. Even though there weren't as many dramatic walk-off wins this season, I thoroughly enjoyed this season. We put it on Texas when we had to. And they crumbled. We showed Anaheim that they can continue to overspend if they want. For most of this season, we showed Houston that they were our b***h...we didn't take Seattle as seriously and they have some talent, but they were irrelevant.

Hats off to Bob Melvin and Billy Beane for leading this team back to a place that most pundits didn't see us coming back to...

AL WEST CHAMPIONS! 2 consecutive seasons!!
Originally posted by DaDDieO:

this

Same here! I'm fully behind this HARD-WORKING squad of class guys and over-achievers. Even though there weren't as many dramatic walk-off wins this season, I thoroughly enjoyed this season. We put it on Texas when we had to. And they crumbled. We showed Anaheim that they can continue to overspend if they want. For most of this season, we showed Houston that they were our b***h...we didn't take Seattle as seriously and they have some talent, but they were irrelevant.

Hats off to Bob Melvin and Billy Beane for leading this team back to a place that most pundits didn't see us coming back to...

AL WEST CHAMPIONS! 2 consecutive seasons!!

yes sir
Congrats guys, proud of you even though you guys hate me cause I'm an angels fan.
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Congrats guys, proud of you even though you guys hate me cause I'm an angels fan.

I love you broe, I just hate the angels
Originally posted by marshniners24:

I love you broe, I just hate the angels

Love u even more if u trade us Trout for Jemile this off-season.
by the way, we're one game behind the red sox for first place

Who does the 1st place team play? Winner of the wildcard game?

Yes. I'd much rather have home field in a 5-game series against Tampa or Cleveland team that just used their best pitchers to win a 1-game playoff than a rested Detroit. Let Detroit/Boston battle it out.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM ]
Originally posted by captveg:
Yes. I'd much rather have home field in a 5-game series against Tampa or Cleveland team that just used their best pitchers to win a 1-game playoff than a rested Detroit. Let Detroit/Boston battle it out.

Ya, no doubt. Hopefully we steal the 1 seed
Originally posted by captveg:

And Verlander might be getting back to form...last night he was throwing gas, consistent 96-97, nasty off-speed/breaking balls, 12 K's in 6 innings. But A's would probably see him in game 1 or 2, so at least it would (more than likely) be at O.co.
Good news: A's own tie-breaker advantage over Boston, so we only need to TIE their record to get the #1 seed.

A Boston fan broke it down, so I'm copying his post from here (remember "we" means Boston):

"We lose the tiebreaker in every situation where it would conceivably matter For the tiebreaker to matter, the A's have to beat us by 1.5 games, and that simplifies the tiebreaker analysis.

If we go: 5-0, we clinch HFA and the tiebreaker doesn't matter

4-1, the A's have to go 6-0 to tie, in which case they get to 47-29 in their division, which beats our best possible 46-30, and we lose the tiebreaker.

3-2, the A's have to go 5-1 to tie, in which case they get to 46-30 in their division, and we can at best tie them at 46-30 if we go 0-2 in Colorado, but 3-0 in Baltimore. In that event, we'd be 43-28 in our last 71 (half) of AL games, and Oakland would be 44-27, and we lose the tiebreaker.

2-3, the A's have to go 4-2 to tie, in which case they get to 45-31 in their division, and we can at best tie them at 45-31 if we go 0-2 in Colorado, but 2-1 in Baltimore. In that event, we'd be 42-29 in our last 71 (half) of AL games, and Oakland would be 43-28, and we lose the tiebreaker.

1-4, the A's have to go 3-3 to tie, in which case they get to 44-32 in the division, and we can at best tie them at 44-32 if we go 0-2 in Colorado, but 1-2 in Baltimore. In that event, we'd be 41-30 in out last 71 (half) of AL games, and Oakland would be 42-29, and we lose the tiebreaker.

0-5, the A's have to go 2-4 to tie, in which case they get to 43-33 in the division, tying our 43-33. We'd be 40-31 over our last 71 AL games, and Oakland would be 41-30, and we lose the tiebreaker.

Please double-check the math there, but I think the conclusion is we have to beat Oakland by a full game."
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]