LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

2013 MLB Regular Season Wrapup Discussion Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Originally posted by jrg:
Whether you liked Bonds or not, thought he did steroids or not... Noone was more intimidating as a hitter. He was a freaking video game player.

So was most players during that era. Steroids ruined all of that.

Yeah. But Bonds was off the charts. IBB more times in one season than Pujols career high in total walks in a season.

Agreed. He was the big one. I still remember following the strike McGwire vs. Sosa/Cardinals vs. Cubs

Was fun, but sucks knowing what they did.
Whether you liked Bonds or not, thought he did steroids or not... Noone was more intimidating as a hitter. He was a freaking video game player.

Yeah. But Bonds was off the charts. IBB more times in one season than Pujols career high in total walks in a season.

Agreed. He was the big one. I still remember following the strike McGwire vs. Sosa/Cardinals vs. Cubs

It does suck. Anyone can see how great Bonds was and how he would have been great in any era. What we cant do now is really compare stats or in my mind call him the greatest HR hitter ever.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It does suck. Anyone can see how great Bonds was and how he would have been great in any era. What we cant do now is really compare stats or in my mind call him the greatest HR hitter ever.

Yep.

How did steroids ruin it though? You enjoyed that era. It was exciting. The fact that players were using disrupts history a bit, but baseball has never been about uniformity in ANY aspect. They group together the players/numbers from the dead ball era. The entire Ruth era all the way into the 40's was whites only. Black players were all in the negro leagues, and hispanic/asian players werent accepted either. The early/mid 1940's were counted the same, even though half the league was away at war. Pitchers used to get away with murder doctoring the ball. Baseball always had a heavy abuse of substances that provided extra energy. Greenies/special coffee werent performance enhancing? They had been a part of baseball for a very long time.

Stadiums are all different shapes and sizes, leagues have different rules, the talent pool gets more and more diluted as expansion teams are added, etc.

The point is, the steroids era wouldve been a total abomination and asterisk on baseball history if the game was otherwise uniform. Its anything but that, so for someone to decide one era was fair and another unfair is totally arbitrary.

If you didnt test positive for any banned substances, I dont see how you can be crucified.

Major League Baseball should be the ones taking the heat, not Bonds/McGwire/Sosa, etc. they blatantly turned a blind eye to the culture that developed because it rescued the game from the 1994 strike. Then after fan outcry they turned around on those same players and blacklisted them.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

How did steroids ruin it though? You enjoyed that era. It was exciting. The fact that players were using disrupts history a bit, but baseball has never been about uniformity in ANY aspect. They group together the players/numbers from the dead ball era. The entire Ruth era all the way into the 40's was whites only. Black players were all in the negro leagues, and hispanic/asian players werent accepted either. The early/mid 1940's were counted the same, even though half the league was away at war. Pitchers used to get away with murder doctoring the ball. Baseball always had a heavy abuse of substances that provided extra energy. Greenies/special coffee werent performance enhancing? They had been a part of baseball for a very long time.

Stadiums are all different shapes and sizes, leagues have different rules, the talent pool gets more and more diluted as expansion teams are added, etc.

The point is, the steroids era wouldve been a total abomination and asterisk on baseball history if the game was otherwise uniform. Its anything but that, so for someone to decide one era was fair and another unfair is totally arbitrary.

If you didnt test positive for any banned substances, I dont see how you can be crucified.

Major League Baseball should be the ones taking the heat, not Bonds/McGwire/Sosa, etc. they blatantly turned a blind eye to the culture that developed because it rescued the game from the 1994 strike. Then after fan outcry they turned around on those same players and blacklisted them.

I get your point, it just sucks knowing they cheated.
I get your point, it just sucks knowing they cheated.

I agree. It would have been great to have known that Barry Bonds could actually hit 73 Homers without any help. As someone who has always loved stats and comparisons among players it damages the ability to faily compare players in the same era or different eras. Bottom line.. it will always be a black mark on the game and guys like Bonds, Clemens, and Arod may never make the HOF because of it.
my all time favorite player and the GOAT never cheated

Ken Griffey Jr!
Originally posted by Knowledge:

Ken Griffey Jr!

+1

He was a natural. When he got hurt, he got hurt. Injuries slowed his career down.
Originally posted by robniner:
Originally posted by Knowledge:

Ken Griffey Jr!

+1

He was a natural. When he got hurt, he got hurt. Injuries slowed his career down.

He shouldve avoided smashing into OF walls. He played careless, and paid for it.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

April is in the books. I wonder what May will bring?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Miggy breaks Tigers April RBI record with 28 Prince tied it with 27

Miggy and Torri Hunter both tied the Tigers April Hits record with 37 each
Leaving Wrigley?

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=9230531&top&wjb=
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Leaving Wrigley?

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=9230531&top&wjb=

empty threat.