Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2013 MLB Regular Season Wrapup Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
The 40-8 record the Dodgers have in the last 48 games is the best 48 game stretch in MLB in 62 years. #bandwagon

You can see it from a mile away. LA will start to coast in Sept, enter the playoffs cold, and flame out in the first round.

We'll see. If someone can get through Kershaw x2, Greinke, & Ryu + that lineup 3 out of 5 games, I'll be impressed.

The problem is the Dodgers are one of those "hot and cold" teams. When the Dodgers are hot, they cant lose. But when they go cold, they go ICE cold. Plus, Kershaw, Greinke, and Ryu have a combined 5 postseason starts, which total to a 6.30 era in 30.0 ip. Its hard to know how pitchers will react in big pressure situations.

If the Dodgers get hot at the right time, they could win it all, but they may be peaking too early. Plus theres the health issue. The middle of their order is the most injury riddled group of star players ever. Puig, Hanley, and Kemp are always banged up.

99.. the Dodgers have never been ice cold since they got Puig. He really makes a big difference on that team. When they were ice cold as you say, they had Greinke, Kemp, and Ramirez hurt much of the time and no Puig. They also had Brandon League as their closer ( Mattingly was brain dead then). Jensen is simply lights out.

What seems to be really special about the team is that their non stars (AJ Ellis, Uribe, Punto, Schumaker) are all playing well and contributing.

Hopefully you are right about the playoffs and their pitching will lay an egg. I dont think that will happen but I hope it does.

Ya, I think when nearly 50 games have passed you're no longer "hot". They're obviously not gonna continue to play at an .840 clip, but this team is pretty darn good. But of course anything can happen in the playoffs. Baseball playoffs aren't like other sports.
Alot of the distances posted are off, but theyre all BOMBS. Great montage of the longest HR's ever.

7:56 Edwin Encarnacion tees OFF.

I didnt watch the whole thing so I dont know if this one was in there but this one was awesome

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=19127709
  • Amir
  • Veteran
PUUUUUUUUUIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGG
MLB to expand replays. Theyre giving managers "challenges" kinda like the NFL

about f'n time..

COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball is expanding its video review process next season, giving managers a tool they've never had.

Commissioner Bud Selig calls it a historic moment for the game in a press conference in Cooperstown after two days of meetings with representatives of the 30 teams. The proposal is to be voted on by the owners in November.

Managers will be allowed two challenges over the first six innings of games and one after the seventh inning. Calls that are challenged will be reviewed by a crew in MLB headquarters in New York City, which will make the final ruling.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9570618/mlb-expands-instant-replay-2014-include-manager-video-challenges
Originally posted by valrod33:
Alot of the distances posted are off, but theyre all BOMBS. Great montage of the longest HR's ever.

7:56 Edwin Encarnacion tees OFF.

I didnt watch the whole thing so I dont know if this one was in there but this one was awesome

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=19127709

Yeah that was on there. The 2nd half of the video is the best part. My favorite was probably the Galarraga 529' grand slam at Miami.
Originally posted by jrg:

LOL But that throw WAS awesome.
little league

So if a manager loses a challenge, what do they lose?

Should be charged with an out. For the manager on defense, they should lose an out on their next at bat thus only have two outs.

If a team is batting, they get charged an out if lost. So they can easily have two outs if a manager loses a challenge with one out.

This would assure that the game goes by faster.

Being charged an out would be equivalent to losing a timeout in football.
[ Edited by robniner on Aug 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]
Kolten Wong takeover begins

Oh yeah. September couldn't wait

NEXT UP: Oscar Tavares.
Originally posted by robniner:

Oh yeah. September couldn't wait

NEXT YEAR: Oscar Tavares.

fixed. hes done for the year
the new challenge thing is dumb

why only 1 in the 1st 6 innings?

if you wanna give em 3..it should be able to be used whenever they want

what if you have more than 1 super close calls within the 1st 6? you're just screwed?
the new challenge thing is dumb

why only 1 in the 1st 6 innings?

if you wanna give em 3..it should be able to be used whenever they want

what if you have more than 1 super close calls within the 1st 6? you're just screwed?

This challenge feature will make the NFL product look superior.

You lose a challenge, you lose a timeout.
Originally posted by robniner:
So if a manager loses a challenge, what do they lose?

Should be charged with an out. For the manager on defense, they should lose an out on their next at bat thus only have two outs.

If a team is batting, they get charged an out if lost. So they can easily have two outs if a manager loses a challenge with one out.

This would assure that the game goes by faster.

Being charged an out would be equivalent to losing a timeout in football.

Are you kidding me? You want to change outs based on challenges? Thats a HORRIBLE idea. The idea is to try and affect the game the least amount possible.