LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

2013 MLB Regular Season Wrapup Discussion Thread

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by robniner:
Can MLB Prevent Brawls?

http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner/2013-articles/june/preventing-future-ugly-brawls.html

they need to do something

id be pissed if the cardinals had a huge player get hurt over some stupid brawl...ALL because some idiot wants to throw at a guys head
Originally posted by jrg:
Can MLB Prevent Brawls?

http://www.bloguin.com/theoutsidecorner/2013-articles/june/preventing-future-ugly-brawls.html

id be pissed if the cardinals had a huge player get hurt over some stupid brawl...ALL because some idiot wants to throw at a guys head

The only thing I can think of is the umpires at home plate and first base need to act like a barrier between the involved players. The other umps can prevent the benches from clearing by standing in front of each perspective dugout. You can install an extra umpire behind home plate in the stands that would communicate with the umps to get in position.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Can MLB Prevent Brawls?

The only thing I can think of is the umpires at home plate and first base need to act like a barrier between the involved players. The other umps can prevent the benches from clearing by standing in front of each perspective dugout. You can install an extra umpire behind home plate in the stands that would communicate with the umps to get in position.

well the catcher is instructed to get in between the batter/pitcher when the batter is hit..but it doesn't always work
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Wainwright 9-3

@

Harvey 5-0

12:10CST

Tomorrow
Can MLB Prevent Brawls?

well the catcher is instructed to get in between the batter/pitcher when the batter is hit..but it doesn't always work

The catcher knows how to be part of the fight. If it was an ump, if the player strikes him then not only it will be a suspension it will be a fine
Can MLB Prevent Brawls?

Fights dont happen often enough to change anything. In this day and age of free agency, the players are mostly all buddies. I think fights used to be way more common in the 50's-80's. Its too bad they dont keep track of that kind of thing...

The problem with last night was that Kennedy threw at Greinke's head. Otherwise it wouldve been a normal shoving match.

Although Kennedy started it by hitting Puig, i think the Dodgers instigated the whole thing by retaliating. You can clearly see Kennedy is upset after he hit Puig. It wasnt intentional at all. the Dodgers decided it needed to be escalated the next inning.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
he threw at puigs head
he threw at puigs head

It was being mentioned that Kennedy was having control issues; then the pitch to Grienke pretty much erased all concerns.
[ Edited by robniner on Jun 13, 2013 at 6:20 AM ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
he threw at puigs head

It was being mentioned that Kennedy was having control issues; then the pitch to Grienke pretty much erased all concerns.

Lol, control issues. Cracks me up when people blame it on that. Ian Kennedy is a grown ass man who has been pitching for years. He is in the MLB for a reason. I understand being outside the strike zone, but at someone's head is intentional in my opinion
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
he threw at puigs head

Lol, control issues. Cracks me up when people blame it on that. Ian Kennedy is a grown ass man who has been pitching for years. He is in the MLB for a reason. I understand being outside the strike zone, but at someone's head is intentional in my opinion

sometimes it's an accident sometimes it's on purpose you can pretty much tell by the situation

and sometimes it's even potato

It took less than 24 hours for MLB to take action on the Giants-Pirates melee, but figuring out who should be punished between the Dodgers-DBacks may take longer than it supposed to since so many players (and coaches) got involved that the tape will have to be broken down and replayed more than once. There was a benches clearing Monday night between the Rays-Red Sox game but no brawls.

Maybe umps should just issue an automatic out if a team can't stay in the dugout during a fight; a two out half inning would speed the game tremendously since MLB is obsessed with shorter games.This would be an equivalent to a sideline penalty in football, or, a flagrant/technical foul in basketball.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
It took less than 24 hours for MLB to take action on the Giants-Pirates melee, but figuring out who should be punished between the Dodgers-DBacks may take longer than it supposed to since so many players (and coaches) got involved that the tape will have to be broken down and replayed more than once. There was a benches clearing Monday night between the Rays-Red Sox game but no brawls.

Maybe umps should just issue an automatic out if a team can't stay in the dugout during a fight; a two out half inning would speed the game tremendously since MLB is obsessed with shorter games.This would be an equivalent to a sideline penalty in football, or, a flagrant/technical foul in basketball.
I like that makes a lot of sense
You imagine a fight breaking out between the Dodgers-DBacks in the land down under?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130612&content_id=50446004&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
he threw at puigs head

sometimes it's an accident sometimes it's on purpose you can pretty much tell by the situation

Was someone on first? It seems like that was a pickoff move but he forgot to turn to first base, lol was probably thinking about Kate Upton naked
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
he threw at puigs head

Was someone on first? It seems like that was a pickoff move but he forgot to turn to first base, lol was probably thinking about Kate Upton naked

LOL
Share 49ersWebzone