There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Baseball Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Valrod33:
Looking ahead to next year

Full list of first-time candidates: Moises Alou, Armando Benitez, Sean Casey, Jose Cruz Jr., Ray Durham, Damion Easley, Keith Foulke, Eric Gagne, Tom Glavine, Luis Gonzalez, Scott Hatteberg, Jacque Jones, Todd Jones, Jeff Kent, Jon Lieber, Esteban Loaiza, Paul Lo Duca, Greg Maddux, Matt Morris, Mike Mussina, Trot Nixon, Hideo Nomo, Jay Payton, Kenny Rogers, Richie Sexson, J.T. Snow, Shannon Stewart, Frank Thomas, Mike Timlin, Steve Trachsel, Jose Vidro.

Holdovers from this year's election: Craig Biggio (68.2% of the vote in 2013); Jack Morris (67.7%); Jeff Bagwell (59.6%); Mike Piazza (57.8%); Tim Raines (52.2%); Lee Smith (47.8%); Curt Schilling (38.8%); Roger Clemens (37.6%); Barry Bonds (36.2%); Edgar Martinez (35.9%); Alan Trammell (33.6%); Larry Walker (21.6%); Fred McGriff (20.7%); Mark McGwire (16.9%); Don Mattingly (13.2%); Sammy Sosa (12.5%); and Rafael Palmeiro (8.8%).

Maddux is a lock obviously. Glavine should also make it. Jeff Kent and Frank Thomas will also be very strong candidates and how ironic would it be if Kent made it in before Bonds. None of the other guys will have a chance.

I agree that Maddux and Glavine should get in and I would also put Thomas in. But then again I thought Mattingly would get more votes this year.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by jrg:
Still no Lee Smith

He is never getting in. Next year Maddux and Glavine come up which is only going to make it even more difficult for anyone on this years list to make it.

Doesn't make sense. He has more saves than the 5 closers who ARE in the HOF.

A few reasons....
8 different teams
a high ERA and Whip for a closer
lifetime record of 71-92
just 2 post season series and hammered both times

I know he was a good closer but he was not elite for me. I wouldnt put him in.
Joe DiMaggio got in the HOF in his 4th year of eleccion. So a little surprise about the decision today that nobody got elected.
- Omar Vizquel
^^^^ i dont think omar vizquel is a hofer

If Ozzie Smith is in shouldnt Vizquel be?
Originally posted by 9erReign:
LOL Bonds 36%. What a joke.

The fact that Barry Bonds, who is arguably a top 3 player of all time statistically, wasnt a 1st ballot HOFer has ruined all credibility. The Hall is now a joke. Damage done. Its officially just a bunch of bitter writers who got way up on their high horse, passed over Bonds' name on the ballot, and thought "shouldnt have been a dick to me, Barry."

The PED's just made their fantasies of leaving him off the ballot a reality. It gave them an excuse to do so without getting crucified.

I agree with Ray Woodson on KNBR. He said someone should organize a new baseball HOF, and put the right players in. No Jim Rice, no Gary Carter. Include Pete Rose, Bonds, Clemens, etc.
I agree with
Maddux, Glavine,Big Hurt,Kent,Biggio,Raines, Schilling, Edgar Martinez,L.Walker(Rockies fan),Mattingly and McGriff.

Unfortunately this will probably never happen but just my opinion.
I'm not sure this vote makes the HOF a joke, I think they went there for years. Go find any sure fire, no doubt HOF player and see if they got everyone's vote. You won't find it. Cal Ripken for example...how could someone logically not voted for Cal on his first shot. Well he didnt get everyone's vote. That's silly. It just shows two things; some writers don't believe people should get in on the first try (just a stupid thought process), or someone actually thinks Ripken is not a HOF player (again ridiculous, they should not be voting). I'm just giving you one player. You cand find many more like that. I hate this make it on the third, fourth try junk. You are either a HOF player or not.
Craig Biggio is having a news conference today. Lol why?

Shouldn't even have been that close for him to get in to begin with.
Originally posted by Niners99:
The fact that Barry Bonds, who is arguably a top 3 player of all time statistically, wasnt a 1st ballot HOFer has ruined all credibility. The Hall is now a joke. Damage done. Its officially just a bunch of bitter writers who got way up on their high horse, passed over Bonds' name on the ballot, and thought "shouldnt have been a dick to me, Barry."

The PED's just made their fantasies of leaving him off the ballot a reality. It gave them an excuse to do so without getting crucified.

I agree with Ray Woodson on KNBR. He said someone should organize a new baseball HOF, and put the right players in. No Jim Rice, no Gary Carter. Include Pete Rose, Bonds, Clemens, etc.

The People's Hall Of Fame Sponsored by The Rock
[ Edited by schmons on Jan 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Screw Bonds and Clemens, their arrogant denial of the obvious is pretty appalling to me. Anyone see a picture of Bonds now, after he retired he is now almost skinny and an avid cyclist, quick muscles gained by steroids disappear as fast as they came. Clemens was not so obvious, but the fact a power pitcher gets better in his late 30's as he was in his mid 20's is pretty obvious something isn't right. Both those guys would have been HOF material with out cheating.

did he get hit by another pitch?

you HAVE GOT to be kidding me
Originally posted by vrabbit:

you HAVE GOT to be kidding me

played way past his time just to make his numbers look better, great great defender but thats it.